Avet JX or Saltiga 30T

Discussion in 'Reels' started by tdwcapt, Feb 20, 2009.

1. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

I'm lookin for a middle-of-the road reel for jigging. Was thinkin about either an Avet JX or a Saltiga 30T. Anyone have any feedback on either of these reels?

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I have a Saltiga 30T, I have also used the Avet JX. My vote goes to the Daiwa. It's build like a tank, but it operates oh-so-smooth. The drag peels off very smoothly on fish runs. If you are going for a jigging reel that you can fish deeper depths with, go with either a Saltiga 40 or 50. The 30T is good to 300ft deep, but the 40/50 are optimal for going deeper. If I had to choose, I'll take the Saltiga hands down.

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i have both.

i put line on the JX.
    missed the trip i bought the reel for.
    and bought the 30T..
    have never used the JX

30T is nice reel for me

4. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

What kind of drag do you get. Also, how do you have your reel rigged? What was your impression of the Avet JX? I'm a narrow spool addict.

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I've got stock drags, 22 lbs max I believe. I've got maybe 250 yds of 65 lb Sufix braid, and a 15 ft mono wind-on.

6. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

Hmm. That's not gonna get it. I am looking for a reel that will pull double duty as a jigging reel, but Im also looking to burn the iron for wahoo, kings and tunas.

I hate to say it, but my Baja Special still seems unbeatable for the money. I may just look for a wahoo reel, something with a lightning fast retrieve and leave my Baja Special for the AJs and snappers.

BloodyL likes this.
  7. red34

red34 Guest

I have a Saltist 30T

I have a little over 300yds of 50# Izor Braid and a 50yd 50# Izor mono topshot. I've only caught some small YFT but I love the reel. It'll make a nice king/tarpon rig and casts nice, even just flipping a live sardine.

8. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Saltiga 30T hands down. No contest. (That is if you want any kind of drag and don't want to have to crank against it!;))

Mine holds 300yds of OTI 60lb braid. If that isn't enough then you should be looking at Saltiga 40 or Trini 40N (if it has to be narrow) instead.