Avet JX 6/3 as bottom fishing reel on big E???

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by fishingduck, Jul 13, 2009.

1. fishingduck

fishingduck Member

What are your opinions on using the Avet JX 6/3 for bottom fishing on the big E for AJ and/or grouper? Do you think it has enough drag and line to handle them?
    If not, what left-handed reel do you recommend, as I can only use left-handed conventional reel.

The reason I ask is because I already own a left-handed Avet JX 6/3 reel and I don't want to buy another setup just for bottom fishing, since I don't like to use conventional reel for anything.

Thanks

2. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

This reel is not good enough for big AJ or grouper on the big E. Further, it doesn't have enough line capacity. This reel is good for near shore jigging. Get the #4 reel for bottom fishing JMO.

3. fishingduck

fishingduck Member

Thanks. That's what I figured. I've a Stella 20000 FA which I used for jigging and bottom fishing in my previous trips. But my arm become too tired to use it all day & night. I may just bite the bullet and get a decent conventional set up for bottom fish so I can use the rail more.
    Any recommendation for a good 2-speed lefty reel which do the job and a matching rod?

4. stresst

stresst Senior Member

No way the mxl is even less drag

5. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

If Avet makes a left hand 50SDS, that's the cat's meow! Remember, fishing the bottom on the Big E could leave you hooked up to a 100lb + AJ or grouper or any kind of big shark! Anything less than a 30 sized and you'll be undergunned for sure! And using the rail is the way to do it!

At night it would make an excellent chunking/kite rig for tuna if you change the topshot to a reasonable size.

DBG

6. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

I caught a nice marbled grouper and yellowmouth with it on the big e last trip on sea magic 300 gram rod. I use this rig also for snapper. I have caught 50lb. yf jigging with it and it was sporty. For big a.j. and warsaw you need a bigger gun ;)

7. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

If Avet makes a left hand 50SDS, that's the cat's meow! Remember, fishing the bottom on the Big E could leave you hooked up to a 100lb + AJ or grouper or any kind of big shark! Anything less than a 30 sized and you'll be undergunned for sure! And using the rail is the way to do it!

At night it would make an excellent chunking/kite rig for tuna if you change the topshot to a reasonable size.

DBG

Yes Avet makes a 50 in left handed configuration. FYI Avet makes left reels in all of their models from SX all the way up to 50. I'm not sure if they have a left for the 80 or T-Rex reel.

8. jig

jig Senior Member

I you just want a meatstick for AJ/Grouper, there's nothing wrong with a 6/0 senator. You can get them used on ebay for around $50-75. Put some 200# JB on it and get a tidewater rod, and you can winch the boat around with a rig for less then $200.

9. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

A 6/0 would work!! But finding one in Left Hand might not be so easy. There may be some Accurate LH conversions somewhere on ebay though.

DBG

10. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

If you decide to go old school bottom fishing reel get a Daiwa sealine over a Penn. Penn has lost their touch and don't make reels like they used to.

11. fishingduck

fishingduck Member

Thanks all for your excellence advices. This board is the best.