Avet HXJ 5/2

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Brokejeep, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

What are the thoughts on this reel .I found a couple of these reels at a decent price but will they be ok for a trip on the Big E.

2. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I've had one for almost a year now and it's very good for fish up to 40lbs (with a 600g rod). Although mine is set for about 22 lbs of drag at strike, I don't use it to target large YFT/Aj's on the Big E due to the number of other fishermen. On your own boat, it would be fine knowing you can move the boat as needed. Of course, I come from the "maximum drag" school. :D

3. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

One is all you need. I have fished this reel for over a year.
    The largest fish was 75lb. g.t. on jig, plenty of capacity for deep jigging, 28lb. of drag is more than enough for tuna. It is quiet and shifts easy. Mine is on smith mariana 4'4" rod

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Rather than being from the "maximum drag" school, I would characterize Louis as being from the "pulled hook and dragged overboard" school. Of course he does have me beat so far on the largest tuna chase. :)

Is this the Hoo-X we are talking about?

Russ

5. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

yes hoo x , its the narrow model

6. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Yes Russ,

hoo-x.
    2 oz. heavier than 665.
    44" line retrieve per crank
    500yds. 80lb.spectra
    I have met 2 different people on Big e that had 665 malfunction and lock up on first fish.

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

They are good reels.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i'd need to put it under the same duress as my accurate to compare. my main complaint at the moment with accurate is their service. they've claimed my reel has been shipped (sent in almost 5 weeks ago), but i sent another in the same box and it has not been shipped. All I get is, "they say it'll be done on ::insert 2 days from now::". Gotten that line about 4 times.

9. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Last year I used a regular sized HooX in Puerto Vallarta and landed a 150# yft with it. Plenty of drag on that reel. I am taking the HXJ this year to vertical jig for tuna and dog tooth snapper (pargo).

10. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I have to agree about the 665 issues :mad: . My 2-speed has been sent back for repair twice in the last 14 months. To be fair, it's my primary reel for offshore fishing when I'm not on the Big E or Venice. I estimate I've made at least 25 trips with it and easily caught over 100 fish. My Hoo-X is generally used by guests (with the same # of trips) but has only half as many fish.

Fathom - I live @ 183 / McNeil - let's meet for a drink sometime. Maybe I could interest you in joining us on a Port Mansfield offshore trip.

Louis

11. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i'd need to put it under the same duress as my accurate to compare. my main complaint at the moment with accurate is their service. they've claimed my reel has been shipped (sent in almost 5 weeks ago), but i sent another in the same box and it has not been shipped. All I get is, "they say it'll be done on ::insert 2 days from now::". Gotten that line about 4 times.

tell em you want either your repaired reel, or your money back. let em know you can tell the whole world via fishing forums about thier customer service.:D