360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to remove the glued drag washer in any of the Avets? I emailed Avet and there response was " You have to send it back to us. Since we use special glue for the brake" ..... I live in VA and dont want to send my reels to Avet in CA just to replace the drag washer when the time comes. Any help would be great.

JC aka Asian FHB

·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PM David Nowlin and he can give you contact info for someone who fixes them in Jersey I believe.

Not really trying to find someone to service the reel, just wanting to see if anyone has tried to remove the drag washer...... More for good info and self maintenance on the reel.

Will pm tho and ask the question.

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
Two questions...

1. Why would you want to replace the carbon fiber drag washer? It should last longer than most other parts in the reel, i.e. forever, unless you really abuse the reel and let a ton of saltwater in there and never rinse it. They glued the disc to the spool to try to prevent any saltwater getting on that side of the disc. Simple rinsing of the reel with fresh water and the drag in Freespool is enough to keep them in perfect working order. Yearly full cleaning and relubing is still recommended.

2. Why wouldn't you want to send the reel to Avet? There customer service is as good as it gets. I sent a reel overnight to them on a Monday. They received on Tuesday, fixed it on Tuesday and sent it back out overnight on Tuesday so I had it back on Wednesday. All for free (besides my shipping cost) I might add.

·
52 Posts
Alan is not just a conventional reel guy. As far as Avet reels are concerned, it is disingenuous to say he is "opposed" to them. Alan has generally been positive about Avets. The major contention is wet vs dry drags.

LT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts