Avet 30/02 vs. 4/02?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Jason4606, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

OK guys... the search for a serious bottom fishing/chunking reel went on hold for a couple of weeks. But I'm back in the hunt!

I think I'm closing in on the Avet 4/02. (Primarily due to previous replies and Alan Tani's upgrade and subsequent high marks for the 4/02.) But I haven't seen much written on the newer 30/02 to compare against.

If you could buy a like new 4/02 for mid-high $200's or a 30/02 for mid-high $300's which would you choose? Is the 30/02 worth $80-100 more than a 4/02??

Just seems to me like the 4/02 is tough to beat <$300. But I'd hate to make a decision over such a small $ difference just to regret it later.

Thanks!
    Jason

2. shanker

shanker Senior Member

in very happy with both of my 4/02's, I have a EXW and an EX.

The only major difference is drag performance, its improved with the 30

3. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I have the Avet 30/2 and love that reel. Great freespool, tons of drag and built like a tank.

The 4/02 was a great reel too. The major difference was the drag capability and the clicker. The new 30/02 has 40lbs which is a lot to handle unless you're using the rail.

Personally I'd go for the 30/02 for that price.

4. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I have a couple 4/0 2 that I haven't had a bit of problem with. I took Alan tanis advice and did the drag upgrade on it and have yet to have a single problem. I have a caught a couple big rays over 200#s on them and the biggest tuna to date on them was a 162#s. They will hold right at 600 yards of 80# Jerry brown. As for the clicker on them I don't see why people complain about them. The only thing I'm not a big fan of is they automatically disengage when you start cranking the reel. The clickers are plently loud when you have a screaming run and I can attest to them that they will [email protected] wake the dead. Most of our ray fishing is done at night and we have had several runs on them that werer plenty loud to wake me up, and I sleep like rock whne I'm out!

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I think I would agree on the 30-2, even though I personally don't dial in more than 25 pounds of drag--I might change my mind if I had a huge, prize winning AJ on the end of the line like some undeserving people I know :D . I haven't used either reel, but from the facts I read on drag, it seems that you want as much as possible, all other things being equal--drag is compression and compressibility decreases with time and use and the degree to which drag has been applied. So you might as well start out with as much as you can for a given weight of reel.

I have a brand new ATD 12 that I can break 100 pound braid (possibly faulty) with and it isn't even locked down. And conversely, I own an older ATD 50 wide, theoretically capable of more drag than the 12, which only gets 56 pounds in the highest drag lever setting. I will soon be sending it back to Accurate to have the washers restored to like-new--not because I need to use that much, but just so, as the drag decreases, I will have a predictable amount at any given setting of the lever.

Russ

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Jason,
    Either will work well. Your personal ability means a lot in fighting a fish, I'd suggest the 4/02 and a quality rod.

7. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Thanks guys!!

I ended up buying a 30/2 AND a Penn 16VSX. The knowledge on this forum helps a lot! But it's still really hard to decide just by online specs and pictures.

I will probably post another topic to help decide... But really need to just check 'em both out first to see if either one strikes me as the obvious choice!

Thanks again!
    Jason

8. Outhouse

Outhouse Junior member

I think the 4/02 would work fine for bottom fishing. To me, the 30 is more of a cow tuna reel, which is what I am looking for. IN fact, if you areinterested, I have a 4/02 that I might be willing to deal with you. I have taken this reel on two 5 day trips. THe first one, it never left the rod rack. THis year I used it as a trolling rig and never caught a fish. After last year Alan did his work on my reel. I have 300 yards of JB hollow 80. I also used the reel armor on it when I was on the boat. Let me know.