aug 27 alligator gar

Discussion in 'Freshwater fishing reports' started by kidflex, Aug 28, 2008.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

yesterday myself and toneyc went fishing with capt. kirk kirkland for alligator gar. you might have seen this guy on monster fish and multiple in-fisherman shows. we went fishing with him on june 4th of this year but was unsuccessfull with only a 23 lber. so we were determined to make up for that trip in an attempt to get one over 100 pounds. we met kirk aroung 8 am to launch the boat down a very steep river bank on the trinity river.
    [​IMG]
    we set out rods with a variety of fresh bait like gizzard shad and carp. after a few hours and a couple of dropped runs toney sets the hook on a nice fish.
    [​IMG]
    the fight begins.
    [​IMG]
    after a few minutes we get the fish in the boat where the fish trashes arround violently.
    [​IMG]
    65 inches long with a 25 inch girth puts this fish around 55 pounds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now im up next on the rod. we set out more baits and continue to wait. after a few minutes the line alarm begins to sound. we follow the fish as it swims down river then nothing. the fish drops the bait. we decide to move to another spot and drop bait. another fish makes a good run then suddenly stops as she swims under a sunken log and feels tension from the line hanging up and drops it. this would happen a few more times, how frustrating.
    we decided to pack things up and head out. we started to get lines in down river. as we were approaching the last two rods i noticed the float moving fast up river and the line alarm goin off at the rod. we did not hear it because kirk had turned the remote sensor off. i grab the rod and follow the fish upstream. this time she was in the middle of the river and not towards some snags. i set the hook.
    [​IMG]
    the fight begins. this fish wasnt as big as toneyc's but was energetic
    [​IMG]
    after a few minutes this fish is in the boat.
    56.5 inches long eith a 23 inch grith puts this fish at 42 pounds
    [​IMG]
    smile for the camera
    [​IMG]
    although we did not get a fish in the triple digits it was still fun. we will definitely go again. i am positive we lost a few fish that were 100 lbs or better on those dropped runs. oh well next time. thanks to kirk kirkland, an excellent guide. we'll be back next summer. brian eckerle

2. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

You boys have got the life 1st tarpon now gar it must be nice!

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kid: Do you use wire for those bad boys or just heavy mono leaders? It kind of looks like wire in the third picture but couldn't be sure.

When I used to do canoe racing, we did a very long race on the Guadalupe. And when the water was real low, the alligators and the big alligator gar would bask on the surface of the channel at night because there was no water in their swamp lands. You were exhausted and wiped out by that time, and when the boat (with 3-5 people) hit one of those suckers, it was like a nuclear bomb going off.

I have heard that St. Charles Bay near Rockport is absolutely teeming with huge gar and I intend to pursue some of those when I get down there to live. I am told they hang out in deeper "holes" a couple of feet deeper than the rest of the bay.

Ya'll stay out of my gar holes now, ya hear? :D

Russ

4. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

russ- we did use about 3-4 ft of 90-150 lb wire. we had to wait for them to swallow the little treble hook. sometimes waiting a long time.

jim- it was nice. now i have to go back to work. no more trips till november bro. well, maybe at the end of september.