360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dolphin Docks says they insist on at least 50 yds or more mono topshot, 80 Lb. or better in my SPINNING REELS, I got some Berkeley Big Game 100 Lb. test lying around, gonna destroy the casting distance I am guessing.

If the BG 8000 literature says the reel can hold 330 Yds of 100 Lb. braid, how can I figure how much braid to actually load - - - so I still have room for this mono topshot ?

100 Lb. braid is .49 mm

100 Lb. Big Game mono is 1 mm

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for that, looks like that doesn't give me much line, and as explorer says:" that thick mono tries to "spring" off the spool, complicating everything.
I would definitely booked with New Buccaneer first, but they are sold out, their deckhands have no problem with ALL braid on the spinning reels where it's most needed.
I was on New Buc's tuna trips twice last spring.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will be interesting to see how other guys handle this mono topshot rule on this particular party boat, like another commented, heavy mono line has a tendency to want to spin or twist off your spool on spinning reels we all use for casting topwater lures. I may let my son handle the casting honors. I already plan from the 1st night time tuna stop to jig till my arms fall off (mostly the smaller blackfin tuna) - - - and then in the wee hours, drink a double hot coffee and drift out 2" chunk bait on the surface for YF tuna, sit and take a rest waiting for the bite, since that has worked well in the past.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.