360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
914 Posts
There might be a formula out there (hopefully you can find it)……but I was trying to figure out the same thing for PowerSpell before heading to party boat that requires long mono leader. When I trying to setup the Stella, I find the thick/stuff mono will “spring” out if not handle with care, just too much to worry about for me. Please report back if you find the formula:)

·
914 Posts
Been trying to go Tuna North East side and because of weather & Covid ~ not been to😥. The more I think about the long mono leader rules on most party boat the more I am leaning towards not using bait since jigging at the bow need a shorter leader. I have read some anglers in different forum said “I rather get skunk than use bait”….more or less I can relate to that.
Totally understand why that rule is there but getting a “Bigger Reel” just to fit the mono leader don’t make much financial sense to me.
….but that’s just me being cheap maybe😓

·
914 Posts
I like to start with the reel I am filling and two empty spools. Spool your 50 yards of mono. Splice the braid. Fill the spool and cut the braid when it is full. Now empty that back onto spool 1. Reverse it onto spool 2 and reel it back onto your reel. Time consuming but works perfectly if you don't have a line winder.
How do you keep the tension needed if you don’t mind sharing? Using 2 reels and use the drag to keep the tension?

·
914 Posts
No, it was Trail&Error back then getting ready for party boat that needs long mono leader. I kind of give up, not worth the headache. Just fish jigs or get skunk:):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts