360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dolphin Docks says they insist on at least 50 yds or more mono topshot, 80 Lb. or better in my SPINNING REELS, I got some Berkeley Big Game 100 Lb. test lying around, gonna destroy the casting distance I am guessing.

If the BG 8000 literature says the reel can hold 330 Yds of 100 Lb. braid, how can I figure how much braid to actually load - - - so I still have room for this mono topshot ?

100 Lb. braid is .49 mm

100 Lb. Big Game mono is 1 mm

·
883 Posts
There might be a formula out there (hopefully you can find it)……but I was trying to figure out the same thing for PowerSpell before heading to party boat that requires long mono leader. When I trying to setup the Stella, I find the thick/stuff mono will “spring” out if not handle with care, just too much to worry about for me. Please report back if you find the formula:)

·
Retired Member
5,147 Posts
Dolphin Docks says they insist on at least 50 yds or more mono topshot, 80 Lb. or better in my SPINNING REELS, I got some Berkeley Big Game 100 Lb. test lying around, gonna destroy the casting distance I am guessing.

If the BG 8000 literature says the reel can hold 330 Yds of 100 Lb. braid, how can I figure how much braid to actually load - - - so I still have room for this mono topshot ?

100 Lb. braid is .49 mm

100 Lb. Big Game mono is 1 mm
This seems to a good source for line estimates.

Benny

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Plugged in the numbers as I was curious, looks like 130 YARDS of braid to meet the 50 Yard mono minimum. That gives a total of 178 yards of line on the 8000.
Dropping to a 65 braid at .37 would allow for 210 meters of braid along with the 100lb 50 yard topshot for a total line length of 275 yards. That might be better?
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for that, looks like that doesn't give me much line, and as explorer says:" that thick mono tries to "spring" off the spool, complicating everything.
I would definitely booked with New Buccaneer first, but they are sold out, their deckhands have no problem with ALL braid on the spinning reels where it's most needed.
I was on New Buc's tuna trips twice last spring.

·
883 Posts
Been trying to go Tuna North East side and because of weather & Covid ~ not been to😥. The more I think about the long mono leader rules on most party boat the more I am leaning towards not using bait since jigging at the bow need a shorter leader. I have read some anglers in different forum said “I rather get skunk than use bait”….more or less I can relate to that.
Totally understand why that rule is there but getting a “Bigger Reel” just to fit the mono leader don’t make much financial sense to me.
….but that’s just me being cheap maybe😓

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will be interesting to see how other guys handle this mono topshot rule on this particular party boat, like another commented, heavy mono line has a tendency to want to spin or twist off your spool on spinning reels we all use for casting topwater lures. I may let my son handle the casting honors. I already plan from the 1st night time tuna stop to jig till my arms fall off (mostly the smaller blackfin tuna) - - - and then in the wee hours, drink a double hot coffee and drift out 2" chunk bait on the surface for YF tuna, sit and take a rest waiting for the bite, since that has worked well in the past.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like to start with the reel I am filling and two empty spools. Spool your 50 yards of mono. Splice the braid. Fill the spool and cut the braid when it is full. Now empty that back onto spool 1. Reverse it onto spool 2 and reel it back onto your reel. Time consuming but works perfectly if you don't have a line winder.

·
883 Posts
I like to start with the reel I am filling and two empty spools. Spool your 50 yards of mono. Splice the braid. Fill the spool and cut the braid when it is full. Now empty that back onto spool 1. Reverse it onto spool 2 and reel it back onto your reel. Time consuming but works perfectly if you don't have a line winder.
How do you keep the tension needed if you don’t mind sharing? Using 2 reels and use the drag to keep the tension?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My son gives me a hand and yes, keeping tension on the other reel, or I sit and fish from the kitchen sink so the line stays wet and I keep tension on by wrapping a sock around my hand or using a glove. My wife drinks wine, watches me, and chats with her friends about when they should come and drink more wine because her husband is going offshore. Match made in heaven.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts