360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Assit Hook Tying I - "How to"

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Astronut 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Very well done and easy to follow. I, too, am tired of paying the high prices for assist hooks. I saw a how-to-do it drawing in the January Sportfishing mag which uses wire and crimp sleeves. I found some titanium leader material on sale at Cabelas, and I've made quite a few. I'll try them out next month. The method in your video appears easier, and it's not as hard on the fingers as 100# titanium leader....

#6 ·
I got some hollow kevlar off ebay, 100ft for around $10 shipped. Hooks around 30-50cents each (bunk, on sale). I cut into about 8" pieces, make a loop in the end by threading line into itself, then tie to hook with overhand knot and super glue. Easily less than 50 cents each. And it gives me piddle time in my garage.

#7 ·
I got some hollow kevlar off ebay, 100ft for around $10 shipped. Hooks around 30-50cents each (bunk, on sale). I cut into about 8" pieces, make a loop in the end by threading line into itself, then tie to hook with overhand knot and super glue. Easily less than 50 cents each. And it gives me piddle time in my garage.

What kind of hooks? The ones i use are a dollar a piece for just the hooks and thats the smaller size the larger ones are close to 3 dollars a hook

d-a

#8 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. It truley was my first ever video for "how-to" info on fishing.

Now I have some questions for you guys:

d-a, the hooks you use are a dollar a piece, do you find the quality is worth the cost? I pay a premium as well obviously, I just want to find the right hook. I think I've found it though.

jig, Do do you feel you need the shrink tube? I've never felt like I need it. If you do, where do you purchase it and what color do you find best? I see red, and black....is there white?

the great PF, thanks for the compliment. I really feel like its great that people are understanding me. I had no script or plan, I just did it :)
My kevlar is a bit thick, totally not neccessary. I want to get some thinner ones. I'll update with PART II when I receive some from Japan.

Tnhunter, How did your hooks turn out?
John Madison CT, I'm going to continue making videos. Perhaps some improvements can be made. I'm new to the video stuff.

#9 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. It truley was my first ever video for "how-to" info on fishing.

Now I have some questions for you guys:

d-a, the hooks you use are a dollar a piece, do you find the quality is worth the cost? I pay a premium as well obviously, I just want to find the right hook. I think I've found it though.

jig, Do do you feel you need the shrink tube? I've never felt like I need it. If you do, where do you purchase it and what color do you find best? I see red, and black....is there white?

the great PF, thanks for the compliment. I really feel like its great that people are understanding me. I had no script or plan, I just did it :)
My kevlar is a bit thick, totally not neccessary. I want to get some thinner ones. I'll update with PART II when I receive some from Japan.

Tnhunter, How did your hooks turn out?
John Madison CT, I'm going to continue making videos. Perhaps some improvements can be made. I'm new to the video stuff.

I just watched the video, The one thing about the twisted kevlar is it tends to stay stiffer longer with out heat shrink, but the bad thing about that way is the fact that you cant change the hook out with out changing the solid ring. That kind of defeats the purpose of using split rings and changing out your jigs quickly.

The overhand knot method works good for quick changing jigs.

The one thing that connects you to the fish your hook, you spend upwards of $30 for jigs but want to skimp on hooks. That doesnt make much sense to me. I have never had one of the hooks on the OTI raptor premade assist hooks fail or my owner sj-41/51's and fishermans spinoza's. Could I buy some of the hoodlum knockoffs and save a few $ probably, but i dont want to worry about weather i grabbed a good hook out of my bag or one that might fail me. I have found that when you least expect to hook the fish of a lifetime is usually when you do.

d-a

#10 ·
Enoch, I don't use the shrink tube. I tried it, and also the liquid electrical tape coating. It did not increase or decrease hook ups, or fouling, or anything I noticed. So if no affect, I keep it simple. BTW, I was not trying to detract from your post or video (which were both great). I was just offering a 'how I do it' alternative. And I am certainly not in the league with most of these guys, so take that at what its worth.

D-A, I am king of thrifty. Sometimes I mess up (i.e. the VMC 4x replacement trebles for poppers) but usually I do okay. The hooks I have been using are gorillas that I got at Acadamy close out for 88 cents a pack. I bought all of them (3/0-8/0, about 30 packs total). I recently found some mustad hooks I like that I got at a Sportsman Warehouse clearence for around $4.50 a 25 pack. Not as strong as the gorilla, but I stress-tested them and they were fine for what I catch in GOM on jigs. I buy what I will need when I find it, not when I need it. So my costs are dirt cheap. I also hit ebay daily to look for stuff, and use ezsnipe to bid on lots of stuff. I usually get what I want at a ridiculous price. And I like shopping for good deals, so its worth the time for me.

#16 ·
Justin, thanks for the compliment.
Did you see my second video posted? It's more simple and has some laughs. A friend at the APS store taught me that a while back. Good memories and good to learn it in the store instead of just have them sell me something. That experiance I won't forget. That is a lesson I wanted to share.

#19 ·
Great and very informative video Enoch. I also make my own assists hooks using kevlar cord and implementing a bobkin tool to form the finger trap method. I've been using that technique for sometime with great success. I'll try and make a vid and take pics of the final product. Again, thanks for sharing and keep up the awesome work...tight lines!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.