assit hook material

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Metalman, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Metalman

Metalman Junior member

What do you like for line on assist hooks? I've heard 200 lb JBSpectra is good and also kevlar cord ,although it's hard to find. What do you think about wire?

2. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

What do you think about wire?

for butterfly jigs?......... not much

i'd use 49-strand S/S cable instead of wire

wire would be okay for 'trailer' hooks on bucktail jigs tho

but i'm no expert

3. Bill Fisher

hard to find?........ mustad makes ready-to-go spectra assist hooks Assist Rigs

and i'd use 49-strand cable before i'd use wire

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

You can get Kevlar cord like the original stuff.

5. Metalman

Metalman Junior member

Would the 49 strand cable be too stiff? I am planning on making these assist hooks. As for the Kevlar cord where can you get it? Thanks:)

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Would the 49 strand cable be too stiff? I am planning on making these assist hooks. As for the Kevlar cord where can you get it? Thanks:)

Here man, go buy some of this stuff for your braided wire needs. I got some in 70 and 90 lbs, they are thin in dia. and very very limp. You can tie these things like mono line using simple fishing knots, no crimping necessary. They sell upto 130 lb test and is tested to handle 300/400 lb goliath groupers in FL without issues.

TyGer Leader: The first knottable stainless Leader designed to handle toothy fish.

If you can't find kevlar, try dyneema, here's a link to it:

Angler's Pro Shop

7. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

i use 500lb jerry brown hollow core

8. Bill Fisher

if you were to use 49-strand i'd suggest crimping the hook tight and a short piece of heat shrink around the eye and crimp............ on the lure end crimp a slightly open loop so it'll flop

not-the-best set-up in-the-world compared to spectra or kevlar but would beat wire imo

i figger one decent fish to hit on wire and you'll need to replace it (whether u land the fish-r-not)

9. Metalman

Metalman Junior member

Thank you all for yor help!:)