Assist Hooks

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Mara5, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Mara5

Mara5 Member

It's me again, what should I be looking at for assist hooks? Size, brand, length, etc.? Never realized that there were so many choices. I assume ebay best place to buy (no local shop to support).

2. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

Www.nlofishing.com
    I have slow pitch assist hooks in 3/0,4/0, and 5/0 if that’s what you’re looking for.

FalconerRods and seth like this.

3. John Borrelli

John Borrelli Well-Known Member

I talked about these pre-rigged assist hooks in the slow jigging thread but I will repeat my post here. I don’t know the fish you are after. I catch smaller fish in the 5lb-25lb range.

I have purchased 4/0 Owner Dual Dancing Stinger Guardian Hooks. Also, 3/0 Owner Dancing Stinger Sabiki glow type hooks. I like the medium size Jigging Master Violent Slow jigging hooks as well. And another company that makes really good light wire hooks is Decoy. I have purchased along with other Decoy hooks, the Decoy Dancing Jack DJ-78 Middle Pike rigged hooks. All the best, john

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    manu and Cubeye like this.
  4. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

Hook size depending on fish you’re targeting, length of cord depends on your jig length. You don’t want your head and tail hooks to be able to catch each other. Brands, I’ve used owner, shout, and SFC Jam. Any of these will be a great choice but there are others you may like. So give what looks good to you a try.

Benny

manu and Cubeye like this.
  5. Drundel

Drundel Member

6. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

I make my own assist hooks using Gamakatsu 510 assists, in size 3/0 for nearly every application in slow pitch jigging. Outward facing barb, super sharp, and I have not had one fail in about 4 years of heavy use under every condition imaginable.

7. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

This

8. jpgrfan

jpgrfan Well-Known Member

9. Drundel

Drundel Member

I put a link above, but I made dual- 5/0 hooks for butter fly jigs/flat fall and single- 7/0 for diamond, flutter, and vertical jigs.

Some links I keep bookmarked.

Tying Butterfly jig hooks

Assist Jig hook

manu likes this.
  10. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

11. benwah22

Here's how I make my assist hooks. Bill was nice enough to make a video showing my very simple and effective way of making your own hooks.

I do not buy pre-made hooks. If my hooks fail, it's going to be because it was my error, not some unknown manufacturer. It's simple, they don't fail, and you can vary your lengths to whatever you want.

manu, FalconerRods, seaquin and 5 others like this.
  12. Salty Bones

Salty Bones Active Member

Good video! Anyone know where to get the 25 pack of 510's? I've only been able to track down the 5 packs.

FalconerRods likes this.
  13. Pokie

Pokie Well-Known Member

14. Salty Bones

Damn, pretty stupid on my part.should've just went to the site instead of ebay and tackle sites! Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

15. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Shark River (srmo.com) has the bulk packs on sale.

FalconerRods and Salty Bones like this.
  16. Drundel

Drundel Member

Never would have thought to look on aliexpress for solid rings, but they look decent. $4.50 for a 50 pack of what I think is similar to Owner 6.5

17. Salty Bones

Shhhiittttt! Now I'm wishing I would've waited a few minutes to catch your post! I went and ordered right away from the gamakatsu website. Lol i wanted to beat the rush of the season and just beat myself again! Just spent $72 shipped for 2 packs. I could've gotten it from srmo for half that!! (Insert FML emoji right here!!)

18. Salty Bones

Thanks for the tips guys!

19. benwah22

They go out of stock often and you don't find out the good news until you've placed the order. Gamakatsu directly is a better option imo

Salty Bones likes this.