assist hooks on poppers

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by etan, May 15, 2008.

1. etan

etan Senior Member

Is anyone replacing trebles with assist hooks? If so what have the results been?

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I've seen Sami from APS using assist hooks on his poppers for GT fishing.

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

When Mcgolfer and I were in CR fishing for sails with poppers, we switched to assist hooks, because the trebles would not hook the bill properly.. however, the sails quit biting after the change out, so we never got to test our theory
    thoroughly.. I see no reason not to.. esp, if you want to release what you are catching..

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

One of the other questions I have seen addressed on one board or another is whether you want to use long or short cords when installing them on poppers.

Russ

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i'm going to try this in NC at the end of the month. I'll change out the trebles on at least one popper. In general I hate using and storing trebles, so if it works that'll be great.

6. gman

gman Senior Member

I did when fishing for billfish. if i were fishing for tuna I would only change out the back for a single as I like trebels on the front

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TOO

TOO Senior member

I used a "Bazztex Special" popper with single hooks in front and back on the TFF Quatro Tuna trip. It was a wide open bite, had YFT all over the lights and had blowups on 80% of my casts. I hooked and landed one YF, had about 8 short hook ups before the hooks pulled or the lure pulled out of the mouth.
    Don't know if it was my technique on the blowups on the popper, the single hooks, or something else. I know at the end of night the popper was marked up, but it was hard to actually hook up and fight a tuna. It was extremely frustrating yet a whole lot of fun to have that many blowups. Kind of a ying/yang thing. I kind of figure some of it was due to the singles not in proper position in the mouth to hook up, but that is just a guess.
    We were on a party boat, so it isn't considered real hard core, I guess.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

I used a "Bazztex Special" popper with single hooks in front and back on the TFF Quatro Tuna trip. It was a wide open bite, had YFT all over the lights and had blowups on 80% of my casts. I hooked and landed one YF, had about 8 short hook ups before the hooks pulled or the lure pulled out of the mouth.
    Don't know if it was my technique on the blowups on the popper, the single hooks, or something else. I know at the end of night the popper was marked up, but it was hard to actually hook up and fight a tuna. It was extremely frustrating yet a whole lot of fun to have that many blowups. Kind of a ying/yang thing. I kind of figure some of it was due to the singles not in proper position in the mouth to hook up, but that is just a guess.
    We were on a party boat, so it isn't considered real hard core, I guess.

Willie thanks for the email ... I found that when using singles you need to give it a second before setting the hook incase the single may be outside the mouth with trebels you have a better shot at a solid hook-set immediately because there is 3 hooks.

I let the Marlin suck it in and then hit it, it allowed for a solid hookup although I popped most of them off later on in the fight. I would rather use trebels on tuna

9. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

TOO: Were your single hooks attached directly using split rings or were they assist hooks? I'm thinking the former. It seems to me that the assist hooks, if they were attached to the front ring, in the same manner as on jigs, would cling to the body of the lure and get inhaled with it, whereas the directly attached hooks would tend to do as you said-hang out and avoid hooking up.

Russ

10. tbuckshot

tbuckshot Guest

I have been thinking about replacing the stock single hooks with the double hooks, thus eliminating the need for a split ring. How does that sound? Front ones pointing down, rear pointing up.

11. Reaux

Reaux Junior member

Attached Files:

12. gman

gman Senior Member

what up Reaux one of the reasons they like it so much over there is because it is a release fishery for GT. The Nomad fishing charter company actually uses several large single hooks with a band that keeps it together for easy release. They also for the most part crimp the barbs down

13. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I'm plannning on rigging a few poppers with assist hooks for the July 4th trip on the Big E. I'm planning on doing some catch and release and will rig two poppers with assist hooks with shrink tubing on the assist hooks, and two with naked assist hooks.

Will be very interesting to see what happens.

DBG

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

While majority jig fishermen use assist hooks, still majority GT popping fishermen use treble hooks. I am sure many guys tried assist hooks for poppers and I think there are good reasons why they still prefer treble hooks.

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kil:I think you have said before that the treble hooks making it difficult for the tuna to take in oxygen plus the fact that they are hooked on the surface contribute to the quickness with which you can land them on poppers.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I believe hookup ratio is much better with treble hooks whether you use them for jigs or poppers. We tend to drop more while fighting tuna with treble hooks, but if you keep pressure without any slackline, you don't lose many.

I am a believer that fish aims at hook oftenly, so the hook action is as important as jig action.

17. TOO

TOO Senior member

Unc, there were straight split ring/single hook. What you said could of been some of the problem. Don't know, but guessing that having 4 less hooks hanging made a difference. I had at least 60-70 blow ups that night, and had 10-15 short hooked/hits.
    Gman, I always wait until I feel the fish on before settingthe hook, that may be not enough time for a single hook topwater? Don't know, do know if I am ever in that situation again, my popper will be wearing trebles.

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

hey willie....def hold my spot in sept. im just waiting on checks to come in the mail. thx

19. etan

etan Senior Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I'll try a couple of different ways to rig. Maybe a stinger on the back and normal treble in the middle etc.

20. Reaux

Reaux Junior member

what up Reaux one of the reasons they like it so much over there is because it is a release fishery for GT. The Nomad fishing charter company actually uses several large single hooks with a band that keeps it together for easy release. They also for the most part crimp the barbs down

Hi Glen,

Didn't know that there was a mandate to release GT's in AU - if that what's you're saying. At any rate, did you see this on the NBS board.

It seems Armand aka RI Popper Atlantic Offshore Lures had the idea of stinger hooks rigged like on jigs for his needlefish.

Finally, I've seen the 'band' that you talk of, actually a small cable tie, on the Bluewater site. I like the way they look and am going to give it a try. At any rate here is their explanation for the last picture.

"Note the small cable tie loosely linking the eyes of the back-to-back hooks. That's essential to prevent one of the hooks from ending up on the other end of the split ring and falling over to face the wrong direction, and unbalancing the lure - anyway don't dwell on it, rig 'em like this and you'll find it works well. We forgot to crush the barbs on these ones before taking the pic."

Reaux

Attached Files: