Assist Hooks....again

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Bill_Fisher, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Bill_Fisher

Bill_Fisher Junior member

Alright guys...

I know this topic gets beat to death but I am trying to get more specific. Working with another guy to put together a bulk order of jigs. Now we need to work out the assist hook piece of the puzzle. The guy I am workign with has had some failure with somee of the assist hooks that come from the factory (even Williamson). Were talking about the Eastern Tackle or OTI jigs. Are those assist hooks good for tuna up to 200lbs? Right now there are large bluefins off the coast and we are hoping to jig up the big eyes when they show up. We want to be ready to go. We talked about making our own with kevlar cord. So if the OTI or Eastern Tackle assist hooks aren't recommended, please help me with the following questions. Keep in mind we are trying to make a large quanity of these hooks.

Kevlar Cord - 500lb or 700lb? Where to buy?
    Hooks - Say 100 or better? Obviously not going to drop the coin on Shout but what the best hook that can be bought for a reasonable price and hold these fish without failure? What size?

Thanks for the help

Bill_Fisher (not to be confused with Bill Fisher;))

2. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

I thought you stuck with mostly trolling?

3. gman

gman Senior Member

eastern tackles hooks just slaughtered the bluefin off NC in the 150 pound range

4. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

thers a post about buying kevlar from a guy named ron just look for it.I got 100ft of 500 pound for 15 bucks plus shipping .Its made from western filament kevlar.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you can try a mono assist hook with heavy mono and crimping it if you cant find the kevlar.......or try some really heavy braid/dacron, all should be OK. Kevlar is just easy to tie and really strong which is nice, but not always as readily available.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The hooks on the newer OTI jigs will work well for you, some of the older hooks I wasnt too fond of,but I still used them for snapper and grouper.

OTI is good about listening to their customers and making changes/improvements

d-a

7. Bill_Fisher

I thought you stuck with mostly trolling?

I am now getting setup to jig....seems like a great new option when the tuna won't come up to feed.

8. Bill_Fisher

eastern tackles hooks just slaughtered the bluefin off NC in the 150 pound range

I saw some of those picture with Di Hrd but the hooks looked like Shout to me with red kevlar. I did ntoice they were easter tackle jigs.

Nothing I hate more then tackle failure......all that money to get out and get the bite......then to loose a monster over a $3 hook would drive me to the edge.

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Going from left to right in the pic below:

1) Cheap Mustad Hoodlum 11/0 Knock-offs ($0.50 per hook), get them here:
    Mustad Hoodlum 11/0 Knockoffs

2) Gamakatsu Live Bait HD 11/0 ($1.30 per hook), get them here:
    Gamakatsu Live Bait HD 11/0

3) Owner SJ-41TG 11/0 ($2.12 per hook), get them here:
    Owner SJ-41TG 11/0

4) Owner Gorilla 8/0 ($1.82 per hook), get them here:
    Owner Gorilla 11/0

My Shout and Fishermen Sidens are still in transit, so no comparison in photo. If you're looking for mass quantity hooks in 11/0 size, the Gamakatsu and Mustad Hoodlum 11/0 clones would work great. If you can spend more money, get the Owner SJ-41TG hooks. The Gamakatsu hooks are just a tiny tiny bit thicker than the SJ-41TJ and doesn't have a point that extends as high (note in pic). Hope that helps!

Attached Files:

10. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

1) Cheap Mustad Hoodlum 11/0 Knock-offs ($0.50 per hook), get them here:
    Mustad Hoodlum 11/0 Knockoffs

What makes you think they are knockoffs?

11. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

What makes you think they are knockoffs?

Observe the following picture:

Left one is the Mustad Hoodlum 11/0 clone from ebay
    Right one is a real Mustad Hoodlum 11/0

Note the difference in metal color as well as the beak/point of the hook. The real ones curve in while the clones are straight. That's why the ebay ones are knock-offs.

Attached Files:

12. jig

jig Senior Member

BTW, on the ebay hooks, you can make him an offer (just click on the button below the 'Buy it now' button) and get them for less.

Anyone want to split some kevlar cord? I don't need 100ft, and it will just irritate me having that much lieing around.

13. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

I saw some of those picture with Di Hrd but the hooks looked like Shout to me with red kevlar. I did ntoice they were easter tackle jigs.

I believe those are Jim's, (Eastern Tackle), complete assist hooks. Reason it looks like red kevlar is he puts red shrink tubing on the entire cord. Probably his 10/0 size.

14. Bill_Fisher

Unless you rig a 16/0 J hook & a chain to it:)

Now that would be one good assist hook:D

15. Bill_Fisher

Name that hook? Doesn't look like a stock hook to me but it doesn't look like a Shout either....

I stole this picture from the post about bluefins on the "other board"

Attached Files:

• 063.JPG
      063.JPG
      File size:
      127.5 KB
      Views:
  16. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Name that hook? Doesn't look like a stock hook to me but it doesn't look like a Shout either....

I stole this picture from the post about bluefins on the "other board"

That sure looks like a real Mustad Hoodlum 11/0, check out the pic in my above post to compare hook shape...

17. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Those look like pictures of the original Anthony. Look at the curved beak at the point. The clones are straight as an arrow like my picture above. That seller on ebay use real Hoolum pics in his listing for the clones.

18. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Maybe he has a mix bag of hooks? Or his new ones are better made with the curved point. I have no idea, the ones I have are obviously different from the real deal.

19. NCtunabite

NCtunabite Guest

Bill Fisher,

We changed out all our assist hooks to 9/0 4x Strong gama octupus hooks and had no failures with a bunch of 100+ lb bluefin off of NC. I am tying some more up for those eyes that should showup soon. Good Luck

Pat Link

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i bought some of those in 11/0 as a backup but havent used them yet. i'd prefer even bigger but couldnt find any. ive had good success with gama hooks