Assist hook

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by tunatuna, Feb 16, 2009.

1. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

i would like to tie my own assist hook. However, the hook resources from what available in here are really limited. lots of quality overseas resources but stock level is very unstable and price are just way too high. any advice or alternative suggestion. thank you.

2. jig

jig Senior Member

Use very heavy spectra and 7/0 hoodlums from fishingcomfort on ebay. I got mine free from a bunch of discarded line (looks to be 200lb or more) someone tangled on Big E a few years back. I don't know what it is exactly, and don't care; it it thick, heavy, strong as hell and works. I pretty much have a lifetime supply.

You can buy cord here (they have Dyeema in 270#):
    Angler's Pro Shop

BTW, if you want to buy, 360tackle.com has the 8/0 at 4 for $6. $1.50 each is about as cheap as you can buy them.

3. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Look for model rocketry websites. They use Kevlar as shock cords! i got 20' of 400# kevlar for under $20 shipped. I found 150#, 400#, 600# and 1000# Kevlar thru those places, usually around $.50 a foot or so. The killer is shipping, it was like $7 for S&H. Next time I am going to order a ton more Kevlar for that shipping price!

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

pm me and I will give you a link to 100' kevlar spools for $ 15.00 dollars. I also use a Mustad Ultra point hook with great success.

5. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

i really like the owner hooks, but they are so hard to find.......

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I really like the owner hooks also, but they are certainly proud of them. I haven't had any problems with the Mustad Ultra Point 8/0.

7. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

"360tackle.com has the 8/0 at 4 for $6. $1.50 each is about as cheap as you can buy them."

I agree they are my go to assist hook for my jigs as Basil if my choice of wind on leader and top shot.
    And I don't think I can build either better or cheaper.

But at some point you just want to tinker, thus rod builders, leader builders,
    fly tyers, ect....Heck even when my wife plants a garden the carrots aren't as good at the store. Buts that tinkerin........

The Goma gotsu (sp) live bait hook has a strength and gap that I feel are
    suitable for making assist hook rigs.

Kev

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

mustad hoodlum 4x live bait hooks 11/0 size(shout6/0 equivalent) or the shout kudakod 5/0-7/0 sizes for the more exotic hooks. those JM hooks look good, im gonna have to try some of those out.

9. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

A few thoughts....

Agree that OTI Raptor assists are a Great deal. They are built right and cheap too! I'd personallly go 10/0 for AJ/tuna/grouper - basically anything bigger than snapper.;)

I got the "Hoodlum" 11/0 hooks that are listed on ebay for $10 per 20. They are substantial, sharp, and pretty well finished hooks. But the reason they're so cheap is they're knock-offs. Not talking anyone out of them, $.50/hook (or less with best offer) is still a good deal. And in my case, the seller did agree to take them back but I chose to keep them anyway. Just sayin....

If you want specific Japanese products, you probably noticed APS has been out of Owner and larger Shouts for a while. But Plat has tons of Owner, Fisherman and Shout Kudaku hooks/assists in stock. Prices are fair and stock is solid. They have a website and an ebay store. On ebay their Owner SJ-41TG are $8.50 for 4 x 11/0, $5.99 for 4 x 9/0, and shipping is only $1.75. (even cheaper for multiple items)

I like supporting local and other domestic dealers, and have one shop close by that stocks some SW tackle. (I just found a big box of 6/0 4x Gamakatsu circles there yesterday. :)) But I'm 4hrs from coast, so understand the frustration of finding what you need when you need it. When you're in a bind you need options...

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Anyone used/tried the Fisherman Siden hooks? How do they hold up to heavy drag fishing and big fish? I'm thinkin about 13/0 for AJ and grouper jigging.

11. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Used the 12/0 for large AJ fishing in NC. Nice wide gap and heavy gauge. Worked great, no problems. For the big boys, 13/0 is the way to go. APS just didn't have them at the time.

12. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Awesome, I just wanted some feedback before ordering from Japan, thanks!

13. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Anyone used/tried the Fisherman Siden hooks? How do they hold up to heavy drag fishing and big fish? I'm thinkin about 13/0 for AJ and grouper jigging.

Never had a problem with them and 28-30lbs of drag on AJ's.

d-a