360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great video Enoch. BTW, where can I get them Swim Rider Short jigs?
Papio thanks for the view.

Swim Rider Short and other jigs can be purchased from Sansui Japan. I know they are short stocked all the time but if you have some patience you can get them in January from Kilsong. This jig is one of my favorite. There are 2 other types of jigs they offer that are worth a look as well. Swim Bird. and another... and I have forgetten the name :confused:

cheers

·
553 Posts
Thanks Enoch. Yeah, I can wait till Kil get those in. You guys glue your knots? I do sometimes and heat shrink too, depending on the mood, but don't see the neccessity, cosmetic thing I guess.....

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Enoch. Yeah, I can wait till Kil get those in. You guys glue your knots? I do sometimes and heat shrink too, depending on the mood, but don't see the neccessity, cosmetic thing I guess.....

I have never glued a knot in my life however do see the usefullness of a shrinkwrap over the kevlar. If fish with teeth are all over my jig, then even shrink wrap wont do the job. (thats my excuse for not shooting a clip with my heat gun :D)

·
724 Posts
That's good. Who is the funny looking guy? Tell him if he wants it 100% reliable to tie one additional overhand knot and slide it up tight against the first. This stops creeping on the cord so the assist hook length remains constant no matter how much pressure is applied. This also makes glue absolutely unnecessary.

·
580 Posts
Post an easier way please. :D

I do not feel like stabbing myself with a mean jigging master hook, so sometimes I use a mono line with a surgeons loop to pull the kevlar line through.

·
62 Posts
Papio thanks for the view.

Swim Rider Short and other jigs can be purchased from Sansui Japan. I know they are short stocked all the time but if you have some patience you can get them in January from Kilsong. This jig is one of my favorite. There are 2 other types of jigs they offer that are worth a look as well. Swim Bird. and another... and I have forgetten the name :confused:

cheers

Nature Boys website (Japanese)

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
I was so convince with this method until he stab himself...Its easy but you will be bleeding after you done tying it...LOL!!

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's good. Who is the funny looking guy? Tell him if he wants it 100% reliable to tie one additional overhand knot and slide it up tight against the first. This stops creeping on the cord so the assist hook length remains constant no matter how much pressure is applied. This also makes glue absolutely unnecessary.

Thanks for the words Dave. :) Just another way to get the jig to not slide. Thats a great idea. Thinking back, I have used super glue (the liquid not gel) to a few hooks, however i've noticed if you use a smaller/lighter rated cord then the knots tend to stay together longer.

Post an easier way please. :D

I do not feel like stabbing myself with a mean jigging master hook, so sometimes I use a mono line with a surgeons loop to pull the kevlar line through.

Willy, I know an easier way is to just use your hooks next time we are on the same boat. If you are hooked up you know where I'm digging through! haha

I was so convince with this method until he stab himself...Its easy but you will be bleeding after you done tying it...LOL!!

Top kab, I have some hooks without blood for on them for you. :) Maybe I'll tie some Shout for you next time! :D

·
724 Posts
I don't use kevlar. I use red hollow core JB in 200# test. I splice it with an eye in one end and make it so it is double walled. I then tie an overhand knot in the end opposite the eye so the eye size doesn't change. Then I tie 2 overhand knots one right behind the other over the hook shank. I then cover the hook shank with shrink tubing. I'm thinking about doing some experimenting with some fly tying metallic tinsel sticking out of the heat shrink to attract the fishes attention to the hook. This tinsel is made of the same stuff as the space blankets.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Willy,

You said you wanted an easier way, here it is...

This year in NC, I was on the boat with Glenn, Mr. Anuvat and Capt. Chip. got to the first spot jigging for a bit and came tight on something, it was mother earth...fought mother earth for quite sometime then broke off, I started retying the line and was ready to send the next jig down in no time. I send it down, got a couple of hits but no hook up, I must have jig for another 10-15 minutes until we decide to move to the next spot, I brought my jig up to find out that I forgot to put the assist hook on the jig, :D :D :D :p :p :p You can ask Glenn or Mr. Anuvat or Chip about it, it was so pathetic that it was so funny...so conclusion: easiest way is not to put on the assist hook..LOL!!

Enoch, I want Shout video man..Shout! :p

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:D Willy,

You said you wanted an easier way, here it is...

This year in NC, I was on the boat with Glenn, Mr. Anuvat and Capt. Chip. got to the first spot jigging for a bit and came tight on something, it was mother earth...fought mother earth for quite sometime then broke off, I started retying the line and was ready to send the next jig down in no time. I send it down, got a couple of hits but no hook up, I must have jig for another 10-15 minutes until we decide to move to the next spot, I brought my jig up to find out that I forgot to put the assist hook on the jig, :D :p :p You can ask Glenn or Mr. Anuvat or Chip about it, it was so pathetic that it was so funny...so conclusion: easiest way is not to put on the assist hook..LOL!!

Enoch, I want Shout video man..Shout! :p

*enter shaking head here* :D :p totally funny topper! Imagine my video with no hook tying and only discussing knot tying on a assist cord! :eek:

·
724 Posts
You tie one over the hook shank and pull it up real tight then tie another just like it and below it and work it up tight against the first knot and cinch it up tight. I pull on the tag end with pliers and put an obect through the loop on the other end to enable me to pull it up tight.

·
3,483 Posts
question about assist cord:

Is heavier always better? I can see smaller hooks requiring lighter cord to pass the eye but my sense is that the heaviest you can get through the eye the better?

·
2,924 Posts
question about assist cord:

Is heavier always better? I can see smaller hooks requiring lighter cord to pass the eye but my sense is that the heaviest you can get through the eye the better?

I only really use the 50 size which is 500. The heavier the stiffer it makes it. I always put a dab of crazy clue on both the knot and cut ends so they dont fray up into the knot

·
3,483 Posts
thx for that...softens with use so ya, 500 seems good. gonna use it to "tie" on some single hooks to stick baits for C&R and for extra large hook gap applications.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts