Assist Hook Rigging

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Eastern Tackle, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I was looking at a flat side today and realized the jig could be tied onto the leader positioning the hook on the belly side or the back side of the jig.

I was wondering if anyone had ever noticed this before?

My guess is that you would get a better hook ratio using one way over the other? I'm just not sure which.

Hook oriented on back
    [​IMG]

Hook oriented on belly
    [​IMG]

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i just put the hook on the ring and forget about it...i dont pay much attention to where i place the assist hook :)

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I was looking at a flat side today and realized the jig could be tied onto the leader positioning the hook on the belly side or the back side of the jig.

I was wondering if anyone had ever noticed this before?

My guess is that you would get a better hook ratio using one way over the other? I'm just not sure which.

Hook oriented on back
    [​IMG]

Hook oriented on belly
    [​IMG]
    Do you think fish thinks as much as you think ? :)

Snagged likes this.
  4. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

while that jig is falling or being jerked, do you know where that hook is?
    half of the time, my hook is stuck/wrapped around my leader while jigging

5. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I thought the point of the assist hook is that when a fish sucks it on a strike the hook is the first thing in their mouth. I have never paid attention and don't think it matters.

6. Eastern Tackle

No, I don't think so, but that doesn't stop me from using monel over rubberbands on my trolling stuff, because I know it will result in a higher bite to hook up ratio.;)

7. Eastern Tackle

I have never paid attention and don't think it matters.

That may be exactly right. It might not matter one bit.

8. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

Fish do think quite alot like me, FOOD FOOD FOOD, BREED, FOOD FOOD FOOD, BREED, FOOD FOOD FOOD, OOOO LOOK SOMETHING SHINY!

:p :p

Jesse

Snagged likes this.
  9. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

A lot of thought and questions and discussions have gone on about
    assist hook rigging. Hook gap, rigging length, 1 or 2 hooks, assist on bottom of jig, treble on botom of jig, J hook - vs- treble, swivle or no swivle, leader-mono-Floro-braid, Wire assist hooks, kelvar -vs heavy braid. ect ect ect.

Keep asking.

Some times we get techincal answers and some time we get, or give humor. :eek:
    It depends on the moon phase more than the question I think.:rolleyes:

Oh and best place for assist hook, hooks is in corner of Tuna mouth.:eek:

Wide gap hook should hit it's mark as fish strikes.

Last week several GOM YFT where hooked on jigs, I am syill awaiting on their secrets?????

Kevin

10. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

I caught two YFT on a chartreuse Williamson benthos jig, my secret was just to keep on jiggin. Seriously though this was my first trip so I had no clue what I was doing, I was told you couldn't catch a YFT on a jig or during the day, well I caught them on a jig during the day. I guess I caught a couple of dummies.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Last week several GOM YFT where hooked on jigs, I am syill awaiting on their secrets?????

Kevin

hammered diamond jig.

12. Eastern Tackle

Keep asking.

Some times we get techincal answers and some time we get, or give humor. :eek:

Kevin

Kevin,
    Thanks for the kind words.

I do think about rigging too much, but it comes from a background in charter fishing. A lot of people think that big catches are won in miles. That's not the case, they are won in inches. A fish here, a fish there, that add up to a great catch.

Sometimes I make a tweak, like wahoo proofing a trolling rig for instance. Its not going to save every bite off, but it will put two more fish in the boat a year. Sometimes those to fish don't amount to much, but if they come on a slow day, the parties appreciated the heck out those two fish. Then other tweaks add a fish every trip. Most big catches are a numbers game that come from attention to detail.

It easy to step on a boat and rely on the captain to have everything figured out. Where you going. Are you going to good numbers. Do you need to stop for bait. Do you need to have things rigged a certain way. And not have figure anything out for yourself, but that's not how I am programmed.

Yep, things are slow right now in NC, but this is the time for me to figure out the inches for next years miles.

Cheerio to all, and to all a good night:) ,
    Jim

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

hammered diamond jig.

I'm still amazed at how reliable and affordable this lure is and it catches so many types of fish.

14. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Jim..

I have noticed that on some of the assist hooks it matters which way you tie the line to the solid ring wheather the hook point is toward or away from the jig body.

It has to do with the heat skink tube orientation in relation to the leader material.. so I have made it a point to check for that when tying on my leaders. It's just a small part of preporation and attention to detail that MAY Make a Difference. :D

Bazz

15. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

I'm still amazed at how reliable and affordable this lure is and it catches so many types of fish.
    What jig are you talking about?

Here's a picture of the lure stash I aquired, just wanted some input

[​IMG]

16. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

What jig are you talking about?

Here's a picture of the lure stash I aquired, just wanted some input

[​IMG]

Well, you got two diamond jigs on your bottom left of the pic, but they are talking about the hammered finish versions. Here's a link to buy them:

Jigs, Rigs and Stuff...

BTW, that fish-looking jig is from Zest right, longest one on upper right? I've always wondered about that thing, it's got so many strange angles to it, wonder if it produces the proper action underwater...? Anyone else ever fished them before?

17. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

See Photo

Attached Files:

18. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

what sizes should I get not sure if i can get them in time as i have until the 23rd, next week we'll be leaving. are any of those above jigs worth anything for tuna or other fish?

19. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

BTW, that fish-looking jig is from Zest right, longest one on upper right? I've always wondered about that thing, it's got so many strange angles to it, wonder if it produces the proper action underwater...? Anyone else ever fished them before?

No actually it's call Tantrum, I picked it up at cabellas on my quest to look at many lures. I can't say I saw any of the hammered versions of that diamond jig, i need to know what sizes to get here is my setup

Hopper 200-600g lure 5'8" rod with a Diawa Saltist 50 4.9:1 80lb braid spectra with 80lb mono topshoot

also any ideas on how to jig them??

20. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

moonsoft, sent u PM on your questions. If you got a trip on 23rd, i suggest you pay for rush delivery of the jigs if u wanna get them on time.