360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any benefit to Kevlar over heavy Spectra for assist cord besides abrasion/bite resistance? I can't find Kevlar anywhere locally, I'm bored, and I'd like to tie some assist hooks, but the heaviest thing I have is 200lb Power Pro and 130lb Dacron. Will either of those work out ok? I don't want to twist a bunch up and then have to cut them loose.

Also, will the heat required to shrink the HS damage Spectra or Dacron?

·
3,165 Posts
Brandon, I make my own assist hooks using military grade kevlar cord. I work for an aerospace company and when the shelf life expires per lot, I am able to put it to good use. I have been using the botkin tool method and it has been very dependable for me. I am attaching a pic of my final results. I do use some super glue then heat shrink as u can see. Hope it helps. Tight lines.

astro..

Attachments

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks really nice. How do you think the Spectra or Dacron will hold up to the heat to melt the heat shrink. I've tied up a few but I'm waiting to apply the HS until I hear from someone who knows more than I do about the integrity of the finished product using Spectra.

·
3,165 Posts
Cut u a piece of Spectra and Dacron and do a dry run and see what haapens. I think you'll be fine but don't use teflon heat shrink due to teflon requires much more heat. The heat shrink i use is 2 mil thick, i tried using some 4 mil but it didn't shrink up tight enough. Let me know how it comes out for ya.

astro..

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shrank one. It didn't have any visible impact on the Spectra but I don't have a 200lb scale, so I can't say for sure what it did to the line strength.

Oh well, back to beer and football till I get some Kevlar.

Attachments

·
3,165 Posts
Here is the tooli use and heat shrink. The HS is 1/4". If you look closely at the end of the botkin tool, i made a little opening to thread the kevlar thru, basically i thread it in itself to form a finger trap, the tighter u pull the more it binds on itself. I also use snelling the hook and apply super glue and HS. Hope this helps.

astro..

Attachments

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spectra under tension doesn't handle heat well at all. With what I have on hand I can't tell a difference after it has been heated, cooled, and then had pressure applied to it.

·
724 Posts
The other side of this coin is Jerry Brown claims that kevlar deteriorates with exposure to UV. Truthfully neither cord is bite proof, so I guess it's more a matter of personal preference

·
223 Posts
What type of knot do you guys use to tie these? I use the premaid type, but am considering tying my own. I haven't been able to find the kevlar cord, but the high test spectra can be had in large spools that would last a long time, so I would prefer to use that based purely on cost difference, if it works. The other posts/instructions I have seen on how to tie these (I think Gman put it up a while back somewhere) involve using an overhand knot on the shank, with no heat shrink. Is the heat shrink even necessary? Will an overhand knot hold with spectra, or is there a different technique?

·
5,457 Posts
The overhand knot works well in spectra. You can also do a uni snell. The heat shrink offers increased abrasion restiance and makes the assit hook stiffer.

d-a

·
5,457 Posts
The other side of this coin is Jerry Brown claims that kevlar deteriorates with exposure to UV. Truthfully neither cord is bite proof, so I guess it's more a matter of personal preference

I don't know about you, but I store my Kevlar assist cord in a jig bag or tackle box. It only gets direct contact with sunlight when fishing and while running to the fishing grounds. If all I have to worry about is UV and Kevlar when I'm fishing then I'm having a good day

d-a

·
73 Posts
Here is a little tip I use when shrinking your heat shrink tubing. Instead of heating with a lighter or hair dryer just drop your hook with the heat shrink tubing into boiling water. Doing this provides a much more even shrink than using a lighter or a hair dryer. Just take a bowl or cup and place it in the microwave full of water. Heat it until it starts boiling then take it out and drop in your hook with heat shrink tubing.

·
5,457 Posts
Here is a little tip I use when shrinking your heat shrink tubing. Instead of heating with a lighter or hair dryer just drop your hook with the heat shrink tubing into boiling water. Doing this provides a much more even shrink than using a lighter or a hair dryer. Just take a bowl or cup and place it in the microwave full of water. Heat it until it starts boiling then take it out and drop in your hook with heat shrink tubing.

I like that thanks

d-a

·
223 Posts
DA, I can't tell from the picture if those are offset eye, or straight. Does it matter if the eye is straight or offset? Like would regular live bait type hooks work (I use Mustad Hoodlums), or do you need to get the specific "jiggin" hooks?

·
5,457 Posts
DA, I can't tell from the picture if those are offset eye, or straight. Does it matter if the eye is straight or offset? Like would regular live bait type hooks work (I use Mustad Hoodlums), or do you need to get the specific "jiggin" hooks?

Those are jigging specific hooks(owner SJ 41, slight offset), but the hoodlums work equally as well. I have some jigging hooks with the offset eye, but I like the straight ones better.

d-a

·
1,482 Posts
lol, good luck on the Stella - i too tie my own assist hooks, and have dabbled in things not Kevlar, but my spectra and dacron assist hooks last about 5x less than my 500# Kevlar ones. and even all kevlar isnt the same. The stuff from rons tackle(which im fairly certain is where i bought mine) is the stuff they use for spear guns, if i didnt get it from Ron's Tackle, then i may be wrong, and that stuff doesnt hold a candle to the stuff that Kil(jignpop.com) and saltywatertackle.com will have. The stuff they have is the best i've been able to find, PERIOD! now that i have dabbled, its the only stuff i will tie my assist hooks with. the good stuff (i use the 500#)

·
5,457 Posts
lol, good luck on the Stella - i too tie my own assist hooks, and have dabbled in things not Kevlar, but my spectra and dacron assist hooks last about 5x less than my 500# Kevlar ones. and even all kevlar isnt the same. The stuff from rons tackle(which im fairly certain is where i bought mine) is the stuff they use for spear guns, if i didnt get it from Ron's Tackle, then i may be wrong, and that stuff doesnt hold a candle to the stuff that Kil(jignpop.com) and saltywatertackle.com will have. The stuff they have is the best i've been able to find, PERIOD! now that i have dabbled, its the only stuff i will tie my assist hooks with. the good stuff (i use the 500#)

The stuff Kil sells is a solid core Kevlar cord. It's what I use. In the picture I used hollow core Kevlar from Rons tackle. The solid core is stiff enough to not need shrink wrap.

Oh yea, I can't make my own for cheaper than I can get the raptor assist hooks.

d-a

1 - 20 of 29 Posts