Assist Cord Test Strength

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by rtran, Mar 17, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

How do you guys match your hook to assist cord when rigging up your jigs? Is it just preference that people get higher test rating to protect against toothy critters?

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I use 130# to 180# with a shrink tubing protector.

3. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Rich- Owner makes an awesome hook for your jigs
    dont have the #, but it's 7/o, @BPS. you'll know it
    when you see it. dont worry about cord size: hook,
    worry about hook: lure. any jig over 5" long x 3/4 wide,
    use the above hook, and size down from ther. the idea here is to find a stout hook that wont foul around the body of your jig, but still big enough to
    hold big fish. heavy wire, no circle hooks, big barb.
    Gamakatsu makes some w/ the Barb on the outside, and they're omigod sharp
    read a thread somwhere that the majority of hookups occur from the outside of the fish, into it, instead of the typical mouth-out, thus wanting the barbs on the outside. worked on me, I bought 6 bags of hooks that day....

Oh ya, Charkbait has River2Sea assist hooks 5 per bag for 4 bucks
    4/o thru 8/o. point & click is easier than making assist rigs

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I was thinking of getting some 9/0 and 300/400lb cord rating to use to fish for the big AJs in NC.

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

You can get those at BPS?

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the 9/0 hooks since everyone says the bigger hooks get more hook ups. But I still don't know what rating assist cord I should match it up with. My split rings/solid rings are rated at 300lb but I don't know if I should match it up to that.

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Brian,

Want to get on the trip with us to goto NC to battle some of those monster AJs?

8. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

PurEvl

I use 500lb kevlar (APS carries it). Never had it bit through, it's tough stuff. I use the heavy stuff because it's quite rigid once you splice it to a solid ring. Soft assist hook cord seems to tangle on my leader much more often than the heavy Kevlar. It also seems to hook up better in my opinion.

9. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I picked up owner(gorrila 7/0,9/0) hooks from melton's in packs of 25 and very reasonable it's been a while but I'm sure they still have them

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys.