360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at picking up a Hots One Pitch Slider S0s-56XH but have heard concerns it could be a fragile rod as the Hots Wei World was prone to breaking. Can anyone shed any additional light on this? Is this a durable rod, or one which must be treated very carefully? I hate to spend $600 for a 9oz eggshell.

Are there any comparable rods in the 350-400g range (for a Stella 20000sw) which are comparable in quality and lightness (less than 11oz) to the Hots Slider?

Thanks

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Hots Wei World and One Pitch Slider are totally different rods.
I warned of easy breakage of Hots rods as soon as the rods were introduced in the US. When I became a dealer of Hots, the first complaint to Hots was the problem of Hots Wei World. They suggested me to use new One Pitch Slider by saying the new One Pitch Slider is much stronger than Hots Wei World and they have confidence with the One Pitch Slider. I orderd only one 56H and 56XH to test myself.
After we landed a couple of bluefin in 180 -200 lbs range with 56XH, I decided to order 56H and 56XH.
You can not find lighter, but stronger rods than 56H and 56XH and the weight of 56H is only 8 oz while 56XH is 9 oz.
Though the rods are super strong for their weights, I feel the rods are finesse rods. If you like to abuse rods, I recommend rods like JM rods.

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two quick questions:

1. Is the Hots Slider more of a parabolic or a stiff action? I ask because I assume the rod has a high graphite component and is probably a "stiffer" action (maybe this is why you feel its 'finesse', as graphite is prone to shatter/cracking on impact).

2. Can the H handle tuna jigging for fish in the 80-150# class? I have a 20000FA and don't know if the H or XH is more appropriate for the reel.

thank you.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Two quick questions:

1. Is the Hots Slider more of a parabolic or a stiff action? I ask because I assume the rod has a high graphite component and is probably a "stiffer" action (maybe this is why you feel its 'finesse', as graphite is prone to shatter/cracking on impact).

2. Can the H handle tuna jigging for fish in the 80-150# class? I have a 20000FA and don't know if the H or XH is more appropriate for the reel.

thank you.
Yes, I feel the Hots rods have more graphite components than other Japanese rods. But it gives precise feeling than stiffness.
It is not complete parabolic, but I would say it is more parabolic than more fast action.

I think the 56H can handle 80 - 150 lbs, but I'd rather use 565XH for those tuna. For the rod, I recommend Stella 10000 than 20000.
I had customers last Sat and we experimented the Hots rods with 10000 and 20000 and they all loved One Pitch Slider rod and Stella 10000 as the setup is so light.

Here is a picture of Enoch fighting a 200 lbs bluefin with One Pitch Slider 56XH.

·
430 Posts
I could honestly say that i was the first one to own a Hots Wei World
here in US...besides Randy who sold me one of two that he had over 4 years ago.

I have never had a problem with it and i fish very hard.... IMO there has never
been a jigging rod that created such a buzz as the Wei World.

I still have it and still love it:p

AJ Jigging trip NC...2006

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
John, the first two Hot Wei World rods must be special. My friend from Korea bought the other first one and he still enjoy it. :)

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Gman, Hots rods are special. I shouldn't show Hots rods first for visiting customers. Once they tough the Hots rods, it is hard to convince them other jigging rods are as good. :)

·
2,753 Posts
To be fair in the analysis of this rod I will tell you that I have had the chance to fish it before I purchased it.
If you have the chance to fish with your own gear and someone is inquiring about how your gear performs please let them have a chance to try your setup. The best way to develop a sense for what tackle is "best" suited for you is to get on the water with it.

Kilsong let me do just that whilst fishing in cape cod. My experiance was that the rod was incredibly balanced and I felt that the action of the rod gave me an advantage over the fish. It is a finesse game for this type of "high graphite" composition rod but I do remember one point where I was trying to break it. Saying that in literal terms means I was still cautious of the angle I would put on the rod but I did put the heat on when fighting. Ultimately bringing some tuna to colour in incredible time.

If you never touched the hot's rods like wei world or SOS then get to the nearest one. I wear size 12 sneakers and my arms are quite lengthy and the grip layout on the SOS seems catered to my arm length. If you don't have a chance to touch an SOS then don't buy it.

I would definitely feel that the 56H can be paired with 10000SW or Saltiga 4500-5000 spinner better then the 20000SW. You can't beat the 10000SW for all around performance right now.

I believe I felt very comfortable with the wei world 52. That was a particular model I enjoyed over the 48 version.

that's my subjective $0.2 cents :D

·
430 Posts
John, the first two Hot Wei World rods must be special. My friend from Korea bought the other first one and he still enjoy it. :)

Kil,

The first two are always special:p... i hope you didnt jinx me:D

·
430 Posts
I was happily the third person to buy both the 48XXH and the 52XH and loved both

Glenn,

Its ashame that you had to sell yours...see you soon buddy:)

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
. You can't beat the 10000SW for all around performance right now.

Have you fished the 10000sw for bft when you can't chase the fish? I debated whether to buy the 10000sw instead of the 20000sw, but I primarily fish from anchored boats and thought the 20000sw would be better for jigging with the 4.4 retrieve. I thought even 80# yellowfin (not that we have seen them in 2 years...) on a party boat could be an issue while jigging. For bluefin pushing 130#+, I thought the 10000sw could definitely lack line capacity from an anchored boat.

Nothing like quality tackle that makes you buy multiple setups when you currently only have budget for one all-around setup :(

Thank you all for your replies--they are invaluable.

·
1,323 Posts
The 20k gets my vote any day of the week when it comes to fish the size we've been getting. You made the right choice.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
When you buy a reel for tuna for the first time, there is no question you should buy 20000 first as it gives extra security.
100 lbs tuna rarely take over 100 yards and 200 tuna over 200 yards on 22 - 25 lbs drag, but you need extra line. My Accurate SR20 almost got spooled twice by big bluefin last season even we chased them.

Eventually you will try lighter reels as you build more confidence.
Once you use lighter reels and figure out the reels can handle tuna, you don't want to go back to heavier reels as I did. :)

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So much good info here. Is 80 or 100# JB hollow core spectra the way to go on the 20000sw? I have heard the 100# is the same diameter as the 80#, but 100# seems crazy--might as well fish with steel cables and a truck winch.

·
196 Posts
I landed 3 Bluefin in the mid 60 inch class this past season using Momoi's blue Diamond hollow core 80 pound braid. I would say that 80 is a fine choice.

·
430 Posts
Your definitely jinxed. :p So you might as well give it away.

I will be happy to send over my new case along with a return label.:D :D :D

lol.........:p

·
430 Posts
Have you fished the 10000sw for bft when you can't chase the fish? I debated whether to buy the 10000sw instead of the 20000sw, but I primarily fish from anchored boats and thought the 20000sw would be better for jigging with the 4.4 retrieve. I thought even 80# yellowfin (not that we have seen them in 2 years...) on a party boat could be an issue while jigging. For bluefin pushing 130#+, I thought the 10000sw could definitely lack line capacity from an anchored boat.

Nothing like quality tackle that makes you buy multiple setups when you currently only have budget for one all-around setup :(

Thank you all for your replies--they are invaluable.

NETuna,

IMO, you should get the 20000...theres more room for error especially on a
anchord boat. As Kil said as you gain confidence you tend to go smaller and
lighter.

·
38 Posts
I've got a one pitch slider 56XH and I'm still getting used to the 'long butt' design compared with other rods. With my hand on the foregrip and butt cap in the gimbal the rod is at a 45° angle.

I've been sharing a 20000sw with this rod and a ripplefisher 5620 and was trying to decide whether to get another 20000sw or something lighter. It's interesting that you guys are talking about pairing the Hots OPS with the 10000SW, wouldn't a 8000SW-PG with 10000SW spool be better for jigging with the lower gearing ratio and all?

On a side note, I believe Studio Ocean Mark also make a 'max type' spool that fits the 10000/8000SW stella for more capacity also.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts