Are Reel Colors Rod clamps any good?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Bellyups, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

What do you think of these clamps for spinning rods? Do they losen the reel seat when fighting a fish? How well do they work?

Attached Files:

2. gman

gman Senior Member

What do you think of these clamps for spinning rods? Do they losen the reel seat when fighting a fish? How well do they work?

Ive used them before and they work great if you have an aluminum reel seat. Scott if you want to discuss any of this give me a call 201-914-4111

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Ive used them before and they work great if you have an aluminum reel seat. Scott if you want to discuss any of this give me a call 201-914-4111

Thanks Glen! They have them to fit a unibutt perfectly, which my rod will have.

Scott

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i think they work ok.
    the guys using them havent had problems.
    and they come in 2pcs models for use if you already have the rod built.
    i would only use reccomend to use them on metal seats.
    i can help if you need

a few different colors and sizes

Attached Files:

5. sbarracl

sbarracl Member

I am curious about the two piece clamps. I bought a 7' spinning jig rod from Chaos and my Saragosa reel didn't fit properly in the aluminum reel seat. It was their standard conventional reel seat. They are putting a new reel seat on the rod for me and I requested they use a Pac Bay channel lock slim spinning reel seat (aluminum). I would like to be able to use the two piece rod ring when I target tuna on Stellwagon.

It seems if I mount the seat normal, the ring would have to go below the reel stem and might be too low. I am wondering if that is why I see seats mounted reverse (threads towards rod tip), so you can put a ring on and have it be in front of the reel. This might also keep it far enough in front of the reel to not interfere with your hand during casting?

Any advice on how/where to mount them and how that works with a harness would be great

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

This is the way I like them mounted. On top of the seat with the clamp rings tightening down on the reel seat. If you having a rod made or are making one, use the one pc reel color rings. The two pc is nice, but a connection joint is a joint.

Reel Colors is a good Company. Even though they don't have diameters for the new ALPS seats, they are making some for a new super HD spinning rod I'm having built. At least that's what I'm told. That's service.

Attached Files:

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I am curious about the two piece clamps. I bought a 7' spinning jig rod from Chaos and my Saragosa reel didn't fit properly in the aluminum reel seat. It was their standard conventional reel seat. They are putting a new reel seat on the rod for me and I requested they use a Pac Bay channel lock slim spinning reel seat (aluminum). I would like to be able to use the two piece rod ring when I target tuna on Stellwagon.

It seems if I mount the seat normal, the ring would have to go below the reel stem and might be too low. I am wondering if that is why I see seats mounted reverse (threads towards rod tip), so you can put a ring on and have it be in front of the reel. This might also keep it far enough in front of the reel to not interfere with your hand during casting?

Any advice on how/where to mount them and how that works with a harness would be great
    mount it like it is in the post above, you will be fine.