360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
If Owner Hooks are made somewhere else, the price would be a lot cheaper!!

not necessarily true. a ton of japanese labeled items are produced out of that country and labeled made in japan.....rick

·
1,657 Posts
not necessarily true. a ton of japanese labeled items are produced out of that country and labeled made in japan.....rick

That is a fact. Many, many, many jigs are made in China, sent to Japan, then labeled Made in Japan and exported to the US. The extra layer of distribution adds a layer of cost to the product.

·
1,541 Posts
I know for sure that many of the Owner hook products shit out of Japan, I would assume it would be cost effective in some sense for them to ship where they produce, but I can also see the argument of having hooks "made in japan" to jack up the price

·
1,201 Posts
If Owner claims Japan in spite of making them elsewhere, it is understandable albeit unfortunate. "Made in China" doesn't have quite the desired ring to it.....it's a bit like buying Walmart's house-brand hooks (as just about everything in Walmart is chinese).

·
969 Posts
I can remember the days well when "Made in Japan" meant it was crap.

Incredible how they've turned things around, from cars, electronics, fishing gear etc etc..

I studied a lot of this in Grad School and it's a very interesting story.

·
Site Sponsor
3,887 Posts
I am a direct account of Owners and from what I understand and have seen ALL the hooks are made in Japan. At Gamakatsu (we are direct account as well) they make the hooks in Japan, sent to Singapore for packing, and then back to Japan for distribution.

I have yet to see an Owner product from China, but I will ask next week when we are back in the States.

I really wish more products would be made here but sadly that is not the case.

·
95 Posts
I have yet to see an Owner product from China, but I will ask next week when we are back in the States.

There are some Owner swivels TSS-52 which are made in China. This is printed on the packaging.

A lot of hooks from Japanese manufacturers are made in China, Taiwan and Thailand now.

·
5,706 Posts
labour & energy costs are driving product manufacture and processing of all types to the cheapest source in the world. That source is changing all the time.
As GVP in a country moves up and cost of living increases, site of manufacture or processing moves on.

Stainless Steel manufacture has virtually ceased in Oz , despite being a major world source of high quality iron ore, steelmaking coal, and many alloy ores............ its now primarily made in China & India due to their lower labour & energy costs.

one Fish co-operative here freezes fish and ships it to Asia for filleting and then ships it back to the Oz market for sale, rather than fillet it here.

its really irrelevant where a product is made these days as far as quality is concerned, it all depends on the quality control of the brand label, that is implemented at the manufacturing site under the supply contract.

Reputable brands will always maintain tight quality control because they have a reputation to protect ..............but there will always be 'knock-off' merchants and others deliberately manufacturing a poorer product just to achieve a lower pricepoint, trying to achieve market penetration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts