anyone using a van stall

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by joesfishinproblem, Jul 15, 2009.

1. hey guys i am mainly a beach fishing guy for stripers although i do go tuna fishing a few times a year...i was woundering if anyone has ever used a van staal for tuna...i have the vs200 it holds 450 yards of 40lb powerpro...and i think the drag goes up to around 22 to 25 lbs..
    thanks
    jfp

2. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

The anti-reverse bearing will fail on you with those heavy drag.

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Vs are are not specifically made for tuna. In my experience:

Anti reverse will fail
    Handle arm will fail
    Knob is too small
    Drag is not designed for extended tuna runs

This is an easy one...

Van staals are for swimming and stripers. Amazing at the 150 size for that targeted fish.

I'm a previous owner... Sold it with the quickness

If you do a search on me, I believe that was one of my first threads on this forum.

4. RI Popper

RI Popper Senior Member

Great advice there. VS are made for people who soak their reels in saltwater. Outside of that application they aren't made to handle tune. For tuna you'll do better with a Finnor, shimano or Diawa.

Armand

5. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

As I only tussled with over 200 of these large BFT this year.....

But you boys are sadly mistaken in your asessment if you ask this newbie.

The VSB 250 and the VS275 and VS300 are handling these tuna with ease up here in tuna central. A VS 275 took a 77 inch tuna off Scantum this season(Capt. Joe Leclair), and others in the know are using them pretty extensively wihout talking much about it.

They are beefy, solid construction, with a very simplistic design. I have been playing with these since August, and would argue they are very much up to the task

I would go with the bailless version if it were not for the fact that I charter and just cant use them due to the difficulty for most to learn them. The bail does have a few issues which they assure me is being corrected as we speak. Their customer service is top notch, and they stand by their product even for this application.

I have one VSB 250 that has landed 16 tuna, and tussled with 8 more that escaped, all under heavier drag settings since August. Only thing that isnt just like when it came out of the box is the clicker. Once the clicker burns, the drag is sliky smooth and silent, which is pretty cool.

I have had Stellas(3 of them actually), a Zee Bass, an Accurate Twin Spin 30, a Diawa Z6500, and countless inferior reels go toast on these big fish this year aboard my boat. No one reel is gonna be perfect, your gonna have failures when targetting huge tuna like this on gear designed for the most part to handle smaller, less pelagic type quarry.

Just picked up a 3rd VSB 250 today to replace the last of my original 5 Saragosas I attempted to get away with this year which seized up on Sunday. But what do I know?:eek:

6. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Capt. Dom, I think it would be awesome (since you have so much experience with a variety of high end spinning reels) if you could post a review of each of them displaying pro's/con's, like's/dislike's, etc. for each of them. Those of us less fortunate to experience such a variety of reels would love to know!

7. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

I will do just that this winter. I plan on relating alot of my experiences this season, especially the low down on alot of gear that I either used myself, or watched customers use on my vessel. With well over 200 fights with large bft I saw some pretty amazing failures, along with lots of successes of varying tackle.

I personally fought tuna on many different brands of reels this year. I got to play with alot of customers toys as well, lots of different rods and reel combos so have a pretty good opinion on what works, what doesnt, and why.

I just havent had the time this season to do much of anything else but fish...just ask my wife:eek:

Looking forward to having some time to talk a little tackle.

8. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I will do just that this winter. I plan on relating alot of my experiences this season, especially the low down on alot of gear that I either used myself, or watched customers use on my vessel. With well over 200 fights with large bft I saw some pretty amazing failures, along with lots of successes of varying tackle.

I personally fought tuna on many different brands of reels this year. I got to play with alot of customers toys as well, lots of different rods and reel combos so have a pretty good opinion on what works, what doesnt, and why.

I just havent had the time this season to do much of anything else but fish...just ask my wife:eek:

Looking forward to having some time to talk a little tackle.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear what you have to say. I wanted really badly to get up there this year (would be my first time) but I just couldn't find the time with school always in the way. Now I'm aiming for next season!

9. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Capt Dom: What kind of drag are you using on these Van Staals?

10. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Capt Dom: What kind of drag are you using on these Van Staals?

20# to start with. We battled a giant well north of 350 pounds on Sunday, and after the fight we checked the drag which I had cranked up pretty good, it was beefed up to 30 pounds, and we held that fish for over 45 minutes at the higher drag with no adverse effect.

I would use the bail-less 275 or 300 if I could, but the charter aspect doesnt allow for training guys to use them properly.

11. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Thanks Dom, It's nice to hear real world experience on products vs internet chat.

12. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

chat w/ Dom would be awesome!

13. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

20# to start with. We battled a giant well north of 350 pounds on Sunday, and after the fight we checked the drag which I had cranked up pretty good, it was beefed up to 30 pounds, and we held that fish for over 45 minutes at the higher drag with no adverse effect.

I would use the bail-less 275 or 300 if I could, but the charter aspect doesnt allow for training guys to use them properly.

I've used the VS bail-less before with no problems on regular casting but I would think jigging for large tuna, a bail would be helpful especially with braid. If a big tuna grabs that jig on the drop on a bail-less, well you better have some good gloves on.............

14. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

As I only tussled with over 200 of these large BFT this year.....

But you boys are sadly mistaken in your asessment if you ask this newbie.

The VSB 250 and the VS275 and VS300 are handling these tuna with ease up here in tuna central. A VS 275 took a 77 inch tuna off Scantum this season(Capt. Joe Leclair), and others in the know are using them pretty extensively wihout talking much about it.

They are beefy, solid construction, with a very simplistic design. I have been playing with these since August, and would argue they are very much up to the task

I would go with the bailless version if it were not for the fact that I charter and just cant use them due to the difficulty for most to learn them. The bail does have a few issues which they assure me is being corrected as we speak. Their customer service is top notch, and they stand by their product even for this application.

I have one VSB 250 that has landed 16 tuna, and tussled with 8 more that escaped, all under heavier drag settings since August. Only thing that isnt just like when it came out of the box is the clicker. Once the clicker burns, the drag is sliky smooth and silent, which is pretty cool.

I have had Stellas(3 of them actually), a Zee Bass, an Accurate Twin Spin 30, a Diawa Z6500, and countless inferior reels go toast on these big fish this year aboard my boat. No one reel is gonna be perfect, your gonna have failures when targetting huge tuna like this on gear designed for the most part to handle smaller, less pelagic type quarry.

Just picked up a 3rd VSB 250 today to replace the last of my original 5 Saragosas I attempted to get away with this year which seized up on Sunday. But what do I know?:eek:

I guess you have proved me wrong. It's much better to have an experienced captain test the equipment thoroughly and give a report. The only VS I've had experience with is the 150 size and that is undermatched for sure.

15. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

I've used the VS bail-less before with no problems on regular casting but I would think jigging for large tuna, a bail would be helpful especially with braid. If a big tuna grabs that jig on the drop on a bail-less, well you better have some good gloves on.............

I tried it with a borrowed 275 on a charter, it was a glorious disaster, lets leave it at that to protect the innocent. Ended up costing me a spool job of 80# Suffix......

I do not care for spinning reels when jigging large tuna, I have seen way to many guys miss fish that pick it up on the drop....fun on smaller fish, but why take the risk of losing a toad if you cant catch up to him because of the lag time on closing a bail and getting the line tight.

16. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I tried it with a borrowed 275 on a charter, it was a glorious disaster, lets leave it at that to protect the innocent. Ended up costing me a spool job of 80# Suffix......

I do not care for spinning reels when jigging large tuna, I have seen way to many guys miss fish that pick it up on the drop....fun on smaller fish, but why take the risk of losing a toad if you cant catch up to him because of the lag time on closing a bail and getting the line tight.

I'm willing to give VS another try. I know there are other reels out there that can contend with our stellas/saltigas.

Capt Dom your reports on the reels that were used on your charter in 2009 are well anticipated.
    thank you.

17. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

I'm willing to give VS another try. I know there are other reels out there that can contend with our stellas/saltigas.

Capt Dom your reports on the reels that were used on your charter in 2009 are well anticipated.
    thank you.

The 150 isnt up to handling one of these large tuna, so your asessment of that model as not large tuna capable is on the mark actually. The 250 has handled some pretty large fish already, and although the knob turns alot of guys off, I prefer the small knobs over the t-bar power handles. You should not be looking to your reel to have cranking power with a spinner anyway, proper technique should have you reeling quite easily, its the pumping and leverage with the rod and your body that lifts, the crank just retrieves line to the spool; unlike an overhead, which is inherently designed to winch fish in.

The capacity is the only issue I find with the VSB 250, I have come close with a few fish due to the limited line capacity of the spool, but after watching this reel crank down 30 pounds, I dont thinkany fish we have a chance at landing is going to be able to run away from me in the boat I run...

I just finished wrapping up a new 18SW to send back, after only its third fish...second one that blew up on my boat this year, first one I owned:mad: . This particular one is making some pretty horrible noises, and apppears to suffer from multiple issues.

The older editions of the Stella seem better built, smoother, but my biggest question is why does a $1000 reel have so much damn plastic on it?

I do not think there is one bulletproof reel out there, but do believe certain reels are better suited to multiple fights with large pelagics. The Saltigas, Stellas, Van Staals, Twin Spins, and Zee-Baas reels are the top of the heap. They have the price tag to go with it though....All the big game reels have had their failures, its going to happen on huge fish, but the number of instances along with complete and total failures are fewer and far between.

For me it ultimately boils down to customer service. After dealing with the big boys, Van Staal has taken much better care of me, and has gotten me back on the water in less than 24 hours, a much better program for a guy like me who may have 4 or 5 or even more trips in a row on the water. This leaves zero time to deal with shipping reels back to manufacturers, etc. and losing a reel for a few days to service.I have a local contact, Capt. Craig Cantelmo, who has handled the minor issues that have arisen with speed and fairness both times on the same day I needed it.:cool:

I have a few Stellas and a personal saltiga z6500 that I love, but for me on charter the simpler, all metal reel appears to be the way to go with these VSB 250 reels.

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If Van Staal works for big bluefin, Zee Baas reel should works for them.
    I was the first guy who reported a problem of Zee Baas when the ball bearings were crushed after I fought 130 - 140 lbs bluefin last year.
    They upgraded ball bearings after I reported it to them, but I haven't had any chance to test upgraded Zee Baas.
    As Rob who owns Zee Baas was the original desinger of Van Staal, I assume the Zee Baas is better reel thna Van Staal. I like the simplicity, light weight and style of Zee Baas. It is under 20 oz, has max drag over 40 lbs and has line capacity of 300 yards of 80 lb braid.
    I am going to ask Rob to upgrade my Zee Baas reel and test it.

19. crazyjigger

crazyjigger Guest

Thanks. Great to know they can handle this sort of fishing too. I knew they were built like tanks.

20. crazyjigger

crazyjigger Guest

If Van Staal works for big bluefin, Zee Baas reel should works for them.
    I was the first guy who reported a problem of Zee Baas when the ball bearings were crushed after I fought 130 - 140 lbs bluefin last year.
    They upgraded ball bearings after I reported it to them, but I haven't had any chance to test upgraded Zee Baas.
    As Rob who owns Zee Baas was the original desinger of Van Staal, I assume the Zee Baas is better reel thna Van Staal. I like the simplicity, light weight and style of Zee Baas. It is under 20 oz, has max drag over 40 lbs and has line capacity of 300 yards of 80 lb braid.
    I am going to ask Rob to upgrade my Zee Baas reel and test it.

May I ask a question? How can you tell when you crush a bearing? Does the bearing stop working completely? does it work but make squeaks? could it be lubed and still work some way or the other? Thanks