Anyone use the AXGC56XXH blank from Am Tack yet??

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Taz575, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Has anyone used these for trolling rods yet?? I searched on the model #'s for the Am Tack and Pac Bay, both have the same specs and didn't find much of anything? I'm working on one with a slick butt and Aftco rollers and it seems like a decent blank, especially considering the price! It's a 80-130# graphite/fiberglass composite and I had it up over 40# of drag today testing the guide spacing! It's a little stiffer than my Seeker TSF55XXH Long Range Fast Action 50-130# in the tip section.

Gotta do a quick diamond chevron and the 2nd guide wrap, then epoxy time!
    [​IMG]

2. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Its an awesome blank mate. I have made up quite a few sticks on those

3. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Thanks!! I haven't seen any reviews on them, but they seem to be pretty nice! Not the finish quality of the Seeker/Calstar, but at around half to 1/3 the price, I'm not complaining!

4. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

the whole series is pretty damn good, I use them a lot. Looking forward to your completed rod.

That particular blank also works a treat cut and fitted into a short bent butt. I built a set for a boat taking part in a local game fishing clubs anual comp. Decked out with stuart bent butt and stuart rollers it went bloody nice on 80lb and that team took out the trailer boat division with a couple of nice marlin. I'll try to find the pics and put them up

5. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Great minds think alike! I was looking at it wondering what it would be like in a #2 unibutt :) I have really like the ATX 7' Graphite spinning rod blanks for inshore fishing like for Fluke, Porgies, Sea Bass (before they closed it), etc. This is the first of their composite series I have used and it seems to be pretty nice so far!

6. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

having camera problems..I'll post a picture if I can get it uploaded..

Be carefull with those PacBay blanks..I had a friend ask me to build him one..

First time out it broke...Now I'm building him a United Composite 602 jigging rod...There 1/3 of the cost & quality...

7. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Ok....does the same hold true with the Am. Tack stuff??

8. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

I am sure every single American tackle or Pacific Bay wont break on its first outing but to be on the safe side I would advise to be careful of all other brands too, I have seen or heard of instances of many models from most brands breaking on their first outing :) the power of the net never ceases to amaze me

9. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

10. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Nice video! I had mine up to around 40# of drag while high sticking it when I tested the guide spacing, and plan to use it around 17# strike, 25# full.

11. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Ok....does the same hold true with the Am. Tack stuff??

I have no idea..I dont build on them ..I build on Calstar,Seeker,St Croix & United Composite 95% of the time.. And have started to build the Black Devil blanks..

The PacBay was by request ..I kinda knew it would become a problem...

I look at it different than just how much a blank cost...I put a lot of effort into building a rod..Even if I use the same blank..If its for a different customer its set up a little different each time...With grips, guides, cuts etc..

So why take a chance on a low quality blank..Its better to buy a quality factory rod than a custom of questionable quality.........

12. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

I hear what you saying capn but will dispute the point about lower cost not always being quality. At one stage a few years back I was a distributer/agent for Pacific Bay. I put out a lot of their blanks into the field along side the seekers and calsters. To date I have not not had any warranty issues with the PBX series. When it comes to funky carbon like SC5 and GLX then it matters a lot but the glass beasties just aint that complicated in thier makeup or application. Not every item in the range is worthy though. But there are gems in there that are rock solid in reliability and actually offer a better action and durability to some tasks. I have had more issues with some of the GUSA items. I actually stopped accepting any orders to work on any more of them as boomarengs dont spin that well in the wrapper if you want to work at speed. I have currently got a calster GF700XH on the dryer in front of me and the tip is doing a 3cm wide dance. The black paintwork on the tip section looks like its been painted on without wiping the dust off.

Unlike the cheap guides and such, blanks do not grow faults over use. Its either user error, accident or a failure to check for the operational limits for the expected application which will result in blank failure.
    Having access to a broad range of blanks at different price points cant be a bad thing. It should keep the higher end manufacturers honest by striving to keep their quality higher then the imported competition. The budget brands also keep on developing their product to gain more of the market share and acceptance. Didnt Pacifc Bay sell under the sabre name after the collapse of california tackle. I know a lot of customers who wouldnt want anything else!

13. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I can understand your loyalty being a rep for pacbay..As far a tip whip I havent found a blank company that doesnt suffer form it...Pacbay included..
    I also found a little whip doesnt affect the way the rod fishes..

Yes pacbay sell under the saber name but Seeker make the old Cal tackle blanks..Pac bay just puts the name on made in china blanks.......

I had a rodbuilder tell me about the Pacbay composite blanks X2G...He told me just as good as calstar and 1/2 the price..He gave me the rod to fish..I felt like I way wearing gloves..I would rather fish a Calstar with a little tip whip than a PacBay without one.....

14. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

No loyalty here mate, I dropped them 3 years back. I use the equivalants from ATX series now but wont hesitate to use a PBX again. Like I said, not all models in the lineup are worthy but some are ablosute gems.

15. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

I love my Seeker TSF55XXH, but wanted to try other blanks. $70 for the Seeker blank vs $30, I can build up 2 prototypes to try out and see what I like and don't like w/o spending $70-$100 on the blank. I want to try a Boomer from Calstar next! I have used the Calstar 655XH and XXH for trolling rods, too, but I prefer the feel of the Seekers with how they shut off. The Calstar seems more "strained" while fishing it, the Seeker just feels confident, plus the foregrip doesn't flex as much! I wanted to see how this composite felt as a rod, and next, I will be building on one of the Shorts 48.5" blank 60-130# with ringed guides. Not the higehr quality blank, but for most of the YFT we ran across this year in the Canyons, it will be plenty!