Anyone use shimano tranx 400?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by jiggawhat, Jun 17, 2020.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Looking for a reel for pitch baits and possibly throwing a bucktail or two. Anyone got any good info as to durability and castability of the 400 size?thanks

2. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Senior Member

I had a 400 for a while and it cast really well. My only issue with it was the drag curve, it’s pretty steep. Little to no variability from too lite to full on locked up.

If your fishing big baits for big fish you’ll probably not even notice but if you need some finesse and nuance, you may be somewhat disappointed. At least that was my experience.

tugasangler likes this.

3. Jfeige711

Jfeige711 Member

I have a couple that I have used since their intro. They have been tanks for me, no problems catching 40-80lb YFT on poppers in the GOM, casting lighter irons on the west coast for school size tuna, to burning bucktails for Musky in the Midwest and Canada. As long as you pair it with the right rod, there should be no issues with castability.

tugasangler and Gonefishings like this.
  4. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

It’s an awesome reel . I like the HG handle on either gear ratio . It will work perfectly for what you’re describing . I’ve used it for buck tails up to 2oz for snook. To big swimbaits up to 4oz for big bass. To 3oz egg sinkers for flounder . The reel is pretty much only limited to the line class and rod it’s being used with (within reason).

5. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Sounds ok to me... any rod recomendations?

6. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

depends what technique of fishing you’re primarily using the reel for

7. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Mainly pitch bait and maybe drifting baits back in chum slicks for mangroves

8. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

15-40 8ft rod in whatever brand you like . Star, Phenix, calstar, United composites, whatever

9. Geebz42

Geebz42 Active Member

How do u like the reel