Anyone use Ppro for tuna?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by stresst, Aug 31, 2008.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Some say why not others tell me no way. Can I use it? I used suffix offshore and never had any problems. What line is everybody using?

2. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I've been using Jerry Brown for most of my rigs, but have tried Power Pro with no problem, and also the Berkley Braid with no problem.

I have witnessed others having trouble with power pro beaking and knot strength that wasn't what it should have been. No explanation for it though.

DBG

3. etan

etan Senior Member

I have used Powerpro and Jerry Brown hollow both. No problems with either.

4. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

I and several others using my loaner rigs have caught Yellow Fin Tuna in excess of 100# on Power Pro 65# Braid. Never had a line failure with Power Pro. BJ One and the OTI PE Braid sold here is very good line also.

I think tying proper knots for joining the leaders are the keys to any braid working.

Bazz

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i dont like power pro at all. 4 strand braid....very coarse, stiff, etc. i dont know whether ive had a failure specifically....but since JB is about the same price i have no reason to use power pro.

6. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Ditto. I haven't had any breaks with it. But PP is not my favorite.

4-strand is not nice and round like 8, and if you're casting the waxy coating tends to stick to itself a lot when new. Then it wears off quickly and the line flattens, floats, separates, etc...

In a nutshell, if I had a chance to buy something else I would. But I'd definitely use it if it's already spooled up!

7. fishologist

fishologist Member

i use high seas braid its the best of both worlds of jb and pp

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I've had multiple breaks for no reason with Power Pro. I am switching and never returning. It is garbage IMHO.

9. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I've had too much trouble with PP, I will never buy it again. I swapped to Jerry Brown a couple years ago and have yet to have a line failure (that wasn't wrapped around a rig leg!)

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

power pro in the heavier poundage should be alright. ive never had an issue with the 80 lb-150 lb power pro. the 80 lb braid is smooth enough i think. i personally use izor and varivas. i have spools of 80 power pro and 80lb jerry brown solid and there is no difference in smoothness or thickness. they seem identical to me. however ive had an embarrassing amount of failures with power pro in the 30-65 lb rating. most braided lines in the 80 lb class is pretty good. its all about confidence.

i have been doing my own personal studies on wax coated lines vs. non coated lines(with 65 lb braided line, which i think is the optimal line for tuna casting). if you use wax coated lines you should saturate the line on the spool with water so its not so sticky. after that the line comes off reel nice. i actually get less wind knots from wax coated lines than non coated lines. i do ALOT of field casting and so far this is my conclusion.

11. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

I don't like the gummy substance on PPro (PPro used to advertise it as giving their line "enhanced body"; maybe they were talking to guys who used PP's sub-60# line). I switched to JB years ago and have seen no reason to go back. Some no-name lines may be poorly made (lots of slubs; uneven strength, diameter). I doubt JB would tolerate that.

12. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I have used Ppro for tuna with success. I do not like it. The waxy coating gets all over things and prohibits proper adhesion of glues. The coarse weave is heck on my hands..

I use Jerry Brown Line One Spectra

13. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

is jb solid 8 strand?

14. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have only had problems with 65 pound that broke consistently with a straight pull t 30-35 pounds--not at the knot. I also do not like the waxiness or the rough quality of the line.

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

When I talked to guys I fished Big E with they said they would use nothing else and it's the best. They stood strongly by it. I have never used it but for chance at big fish I use more reviewed and proven lines.