360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new spinning rod to toss poppers to the BFTs up here on the Cape. Looking at a custom wrapped Calstar 700XH and the OTI 7'6" 80lb. any info is greatly appreciated!!! off to throw some iron tomorrow morning on Crab Ledge! thanks guys
murph

·
377 Posts
I have boat rods mentioned.Both are fine rods.You will cast further with the OTI rod . The main reason I have the calstar is when the tuna goes into the death circle the calstar seems to give me more control . I can appreciate this as I usually fish head boats where there a lot of anglers waiting to boat the fish. The 700xh is a little heavier rod wih a relatively short butt compared to the OTI. If I was to be casting most of the time I would go with the OTI. However, I used a proto type when down in panama and I was suprised how well it handled a 375 lb -400lb marlin.You can give TJ a call at OTI and get the info on the proto type.The rod could be the best of boat worlds. JMO

·
389 Posts
i have the 700h am running PE5 on it and it really has some balls havnt used the xh but if the h is anything to go by the xh should be very powerful!

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
the calstars are nice both H and XH.
the H has a softer tip, but the XH may be a little better for fighting bigger fish.
you will get more distance with the longer OTI.
the custom calstar will cost about 50 or so more than a production OTI.

·
Banned
198 Posts
I build quite a few Calstar graphiters. Most are GF700XH conventional. I think the softer action on the H would make the better spin rod.

·
1,541 Posts
Never used one spinning. Have used the conventional. I could cast an 8oz diamond jig underhand pretty damn far. If youre using bigger poppers/stickbaits i dont really see you having issues loading up the rod for a good cast. Smaller lures i think you will have problems with, which is what you typically throw in the cape.

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
Murph: I have built some GF800XH ..there not listed but Calstar has them ..A littel softer in the tip than the GF700XH..Plus with the extra foot you get to play with the action & if you do cut all off the back..You get a thinner & lighter rod...
I have a customer thats a big jigging nut ..Have seen a lot of Jigging rods & blanks..For what its worth the Black Devil 200 is one nice blank ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts