Anyone try these jigs for blackfish?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Sea Bear, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

id give them a whirl this year but i wouldnt jig them like a normal jig. when the tog are chewing on crabs i dont think theyd want to hit an up/down worked lead jig. they might work well jigged in other months though when they feed on other baits?

anyway, thanks for getting me excited abt blackfish :)

3. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

anyway, thanks for getting me excited abt blackfish :)

no problem, its almost time :D

4. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Those jigs look awesome and I am going to order some up immediately. We have been using jigs for tog for quite a while now. I will tell you one thing and that is using a jig over a more traditional rig will put a ton more fish in your boat. The fish seem to really like having the bait right on the rocks which the jig does. I usually use a high/low with 1-2 hooks and it does not fish nearly as good as the jig alone with a big fat piece of crab on it.

5. MJ4

MJ4 Senior Member

Do you jig it or let it sit on or near the bottom?Ive used jigheads with crab in the back bays but never out front.Id like to try it this year.

6. starkc69

starkc69 Junior member

Those jigs look awesome and I am going to order some up immediately. We have been using jigs for tog for quite a while now. I will tell you one thing and that is using a jig over a more traditional rig will put a ton more fish in your boat. The fish seem to really like having the bait right on the rocks which the jig does. I usually use a high/low with 1-2 hooks and it does not fish nearly as good as the jig alone with a big fat piece of crab on it.

I've found the same results...I use a lead head with a chunk of crab on it...cast it into a rocky area....jig it back slowly across the bottom...WHAMO!! Those togs definitely like the 'drive by' crab :D

Best of luck out there...

7. Albiemanmike

Drop and leave it alone until you feel the tap and rip their lips off. They really seem to prefer the bait presented right on the structure instead of hanging above the bottom as you would with a high/low rig.

8. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I would not fish this in deep water for togging, anything shallower than 50Ft you should be fine. I used it in the sound fishing rocks, not so much on wrecks.

Not really a "jig" your putting a piece of crab on a leadhead, its the same old.

9. MJ4

MJ4 Senior Member

I would not fish this in deep water for togging, anything shallower than 50Ft you should be fine. I used it in the sound fishing rocks, not so much on wrecks.

Not really a "jig" your putting a piece of crab on a leadhead, its the same old.
    Thats what im thinking.My blackfish rigs would not have the bait suspended.It would be laying still on the bottom.Jigheads are quick n easy for shallow water toggin though.

10. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I do a lot of Toggin' and IMO, these are really hooks with the weights attached.

Besides, if you fish the places I do for Togs you'd go broke using these "jigs".

If you really want to dramatically improve your Tog catch, find yourself some Hermit crabs.

11. Albiemanmike

I do a lot of Toggin' and IMO, these are really hooks with the weights attached.

Besides, if you fish the places I do for Togs you'd go broke using these "jigs".

If you really want to dramatically improve your Tog catch, find yourself some Hermit crabs.

John,
    I used to think the same thing but went one day with a good friend who is a really good bottom fisher and he was using regular leadheads that really were not optimal as the hooks were either to weak (light weight jigs) or too big (heavier weight jigs) but he was still outfishing me 4-1 easily by getting the bait right on the structure with the jig. These jigs would be awesome if they incorporate heavy heads with smaller strong hooks. We fished the regular lead heads in tight to the NH breakwalls and had no more lost gear than usual. If you were fishing open water these would not be optimal but for the really tight anchoring up close to the breakwalls these would be perfect I think.

12. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

if you wanna dramatically improve your tog catch its not about the bait but learning from sharpies and practicing. hermits will get you more bites, but even the biggest googans will miss those hits. Also if you have any other type of fish on the piece your fishing likely you'll get robbed by the bergalls, porgies, seabass, and small taug

13. starkc69

starkc69 Junior member

I too love using Hermits...as long as there are no Porgies around ;)

14. fishermanunh

fishermanunh Member

did i read your post correctly albiemanmike?

i've never targeted blackfish up in this area but i'm interested if they're around, although the season is winding down up here i might try it out next year

breakwaters in NH? New Hampshire? or maybe i'm just mixed up
    thanks
    mike

15. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

there are tog in maine/NH/MA contrary to popular belief. People just dont fish for them. They usually bite well right about this time of year, I know on the cape they are slamming them right now.

16. Albiemanmike

did i read your post correctly albiemanmike?

i've never targeted blackfish up in this area but i'm interested if they're around, although the season is winding down up here i might try it out next year

breakwaters in NH? New Hampshire? or maybe i'm just mixed up
    thanks
    mike

NH= New Haven CT. sorry for the confusion. Don't know anything about their availability in Maine but I know the guy's in Mass. do well fishing Buzzards Bay. Easy way to find out is find a real rocky piece of structure, anchor up, and drop some crabbies down and see what you get. The bites often will be very subtle but sometimes they will try and rip your rod out of your hands. You can have a 10+ lb. fish just nibbling away down there and you will think it is a junk fish or small tog don't be fooled.

17. Albiemanmike

if you wanna dramatically improve your tog catch its not about the bait but learning from sharpies and practicing. hermits will get you more bites, but even the biggest googans will miss those hits. Also if you have any other type of fish on the piece your fishing likely you'll get robbed by the bergalls, porgies, seabass, and small taug

Hermits are good bait no doubt but hard to come by where I am. Sometimes get em' from a lobsterman I know but he usually keeps them all for himself. I find that using the asian crabs that have invaded our waters and are very plentiful has upped my catch ratio dramatically. Plus they are easier to use as you can just put the whole crab right on the hook and drop em'. Where I fish there is a definite lack of bait stealers and if we are getting bit but not hooking the fish it is usually because they are small togs and not others.

18. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Senior Member

slaying blackfish on the cape right now, haven't tried jigs but half a green crab always gets porkers! :)

19. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I'm incorporated the use of small circle hooks into my Blackfishing arsenal. These have helped incredibly. You don't have to be a geniuse to figure out when to "stick 'em".

Feel the nibble, and simply lift.

We do very well deadsticking togs this way too.

20. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I'm incorporated the use of small circle hooks into my Blackfishing arsenal. These have helped incredibly. You don't have to be a geniuse to figure out when to "stick 'em".

Feel the nibble, and simply lift.

We do very well deadsticking togs this way too.

never would have imagined circle hooks would find their way into the togging scene. i guess if they work they work but i'll still stick to my gami octopus 4/0 and 5/0 because to me if you ain't swinging for the stars when your setting the hook that just isn't togging. :D

21. synthnut

synthnut Senior Member

"Feel the nibble, and simply lift"

I use either a snafu rig, or a hi/lo rig and use Mustad 3/0 big guns .... I simply lift alright !!....I simply lift their lips off of their face !!..... :eek:
    Patience is not one of my better virtues !!...Seriously, these hooks are so sharp that if the fish is anywhere nearby it's gonna get caught !!....Jim