Anyone tried V-SYSTEM

Discussion in 'Reels' started by seahunter, Jul 20, 2008.

1. seahunter

seahunter Member

Just wondering has anyone tried using the okuma v-system for any type of fish

2. bigrockjigging

bigrockjigging Guest

My friend has the v 65a. He likes it. Not a bad reel for the price. I would suggest the cabo 80 over the okuma. Not much difference in price.

3. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

My friend has the v 65a. He likes it. Not a bad reel for the price. I would suggest the cabo 80 over the okuma. Not much difference in price.

I was going to say the same thing.
    A friend used his 65 this season for tuna to 30kg with out to much problem but he also said a 80 would have been better.

4. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

We've sold quite a few to CA where they use the V80a for jigging. The price piont of the V is about $30 less then the similar sized Cabo. Both are quality reels that will get the job done.

5. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

take the spool off the vsystem and look at the diameter of the main piston. it scared me to death. i had a salina and it had great drag(felt)but the bail arm warped from sunlight exposure or something. i am sceptical of the vsystem stuff.

i love my cabos, and i beat the piss out of them. still working well

6. sbarracl

sbarracl Member

I took a look at the OKuma V system today at Fisherman's Outfitters in MA. The salesperson owned one, a smaller one and liked it a lot. He said it had an excellent drag and took one apart for me. We cranked one down and compared it to a spheros and it felt like it had a lot more drag. I was impressed with the real, but I haven't fished it to really know. That is the only Okuma reel the store sells. They focus on quality offshore gear and the V system spinners are the only Okuma reel they carry. I think that's a pretty good endorsement for it.

7. seahunter

seahunter Member

8. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Isnt that a Stella in the video?

9. seahunter

seahunter Member

You will see a couple of different brands but the VS is in the last fish caught

10. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

stock spheros is a POS. only way that reel is worth a hoot, is if you replace the POS felt drags with the carbon fiber drags... ONLY then, is it worthwhile in tuna or comparable offshore fishing. the spheros is unmatchable in cost vs. quality once the drags ($10) are upgraded. best entry level reel out there.

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

You will see a couple of different brands but the VS is in the last fish caught
    Oh ok... I looked at the first 2 fish clips and thought my eyes were messing with me or somethin. Didn't make it all the way to the end thefirst time.

12. jacktrevally

jacktrevally Member

I've used the v80 for a long time now and it is now loaded with pe3+ backing.

Lots of problems in the reel, and the drag fades out in a couple of trip. Don't believe what you read on the net where the reel can be upgraded with carbontex and fish 18kg oe drag, with 7kg its the 3rd bale arm I broke and the plastic washer supporting the bale arm to the rotor crushes at 7kg of drag.

Oh did I tell you that I broke the clicker on the drag knob twice? A useless buy!

13. jacktrevally

jacktrevally Member

I took a look at the OKuma V system today at Fisherman's Outfitters in MA. The salesperson owned one, a smaller one and liked it a lot. He said it had an excellent drag and took one apart for me. We cranked one down and compared it to a spheros and it felt like it had a lot more drag. I was impressed with the real, but I haven't fished it to really know. That is the only Okuma reel the store sells. They focus on quality offshore gear and the V system spinners are the only Okuma reel they carry. I think that's a pretty good endorsement for it.

The drag is quite high of 10kg above when out of the box but decreases CONSIDERABLY after a few times fishing. I've changed washers for 2 times and you can't buy replacement washers for the down drag. The spheros is a far better reel in my opinion.

I thought the v80 was great but after a few session you start to change your mind very quick.

14. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

Great first-hand reviews, guys. I use a large Okuma spinner off the beach and it works fine, but bull reds ain't tuna.

15. jacktrevally

jacktrevally Member

Another rant, the v80 which is the size of a 10000 stella uses the same front drag size and the drag washers are similar to an eclipz ez50.

There are other flaws in the reel which I found when using it and it's a chance I can find parts but its the last time I'm replacing part in this reel. Next time it breaks, I'm binning it!

16. seahunter

seahunter Member

Thanks for your input guys..i'll keep an eye on what could go wrong..