360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

anyone fired up about opening day??

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Gunsmoke 
#1 ·
Well as luck has it.. The closing for the property I am buying got pushed back until next week.. so I get to go out for opening day of gun deer season.
How many of you guys will be out there this weekend?? I will still bow hunt friday night and then pick up the fire pole for the weekend. Earl???? do you have everything ready??? Good luck to all of you guys that are going this weekend. Remember to keep gun safety at the top of the list.

#3 ·
Good luck Richard! You might just let them young bucks walk until next year.. Them does eat a little better than the bucks in rut.....They all look fat and happy.... That one behind the feeder looks like his neck is beginning to swell... With the cool front just passing through.... I think mines swelling up too.... LOL Its supposed to be in the low to mid thirties on monday..(up here) and I dont have to be back to work until tuesday at 1pm....

#4 ·
I think all of you should be ashamed of yourselves--killing and eating animals. Poor deer. Didn't you ever watch Bambi????? They have as much right to live and breathe and raise their young in peace as you do. How would you feel if some smelly old offshore fisherman was chasing you around making noises and trying to kill you. You should all be eating brocoli and watching Home and Garden TV.

Uncle Russ

#5 ·
I think all of you should be ashamed of yourselves--killing and eating animals. Poor deer. Didn't you ever watch Bambi????? They have as much right to live and breathe and raise their young in peace as you do. How would you feel if some smelly old offshore fisherman was chasing you around making noises and trying to kill you. You should all be eating brocoli and watching Home and Garden TV.

Uncle Russ

Russ, I would shrivel up and blow away if I ate broccoli and watched HG tv....
You know poor little bambi has the right to be wrapped in bacon and cooked over a nice mesquite fire......MMMM MMMM Good.. better than campbell soup...

#7 ·
We are not going offshore after all. Blake and I will be scouting for ducks tomorrow and busting a few Saturday morning. Hopefully more than just a few too.

Bummer... I'll keep an eye open for the quackers up at Bobs.... We might have to take Blake and Jade out for a camp out/duckhunt

#9 ·
Bret...

I have been letting bucks walk for four years. I prefer to just kill the spikes and let the nice young bucks grow. I really haven't shot a deer in a couple of years ... but I may take a doe this year for meat. A seismograph company cut me some cenderos this fall and I plan on planting some type of clover or high protein crop for the deer to help their nutrition. As usual...I may just sit and watch...and take out as many pigs/hogs as I can this season....there's way too many swine around.

#12 ·
OK, OK, I was going to say "Poor Ducks," but I can't keep a straight face. I hear you Bret and STX. Personally, I have heard about all the deer attacks and think we need to make the world safe for hunters! My daughter was always giving me hell for hunting "...the beautiful little deer." I told her I killed things that hated me and hid whereas she hired hit men at the meat packing companies to kill steers that trusted them. And my wife is a vegetarian (they say that's an Indian word for "lousy hunter") and she wears leather shoes and belts. Go figure.

Good hunting everyone. I won't be able to go out until after Thanksgiving.

Russ

#13 ·
How many of you guys will be out there this weekend?? I will still bow hunt friday night and then pick up the fire pole for the weekend. Earl???? do you have everything ready??? Good luck to all of you guys that are going this weekend. Remember to keep gun safety at the top of the list.

I've been looking at a B&C the past two weekends. Hopefully he will stick that body out for a good shot. Normally, you never see them again once the season begins.:mad:

#14 ·
I've been looking at a B&C the past two weekends. Hopefully he will stick that body out for a good shot. Normally, you never see them again once the season begins.:mad:

GS, I hope he does show himself for you.. What part of STx are you hunting?? I'm about 50 miles SSE of Wichita Falls....We have 3 pretty decent bucks on cam.. but have only seen one of them.. They are starting to become territorial...so I think the prerut is in full swing.... I'll be in my bow stand this evening.. Just finished payroll and I'm gonna load up and try and beat the Tx motor speedway race traffic.. Buena Suerte!!!!!!!!!!

#15 ·
What part of STx are you hunting?? Buena Suerte!!!!!!!!!!

Two places. Webb and Dimmit county. Extremely thick brush this year. All that rain this summer has it way over grown. We do not use feeders but do feed the roads. We just drive the sendero's with racks on the trucks. I use a remote to tell the driver when to stop, back up, or turn off the engine. No voice communication.

The bad thing about the Webb County place is that it's to close to Mexico. That can get a grown married man into trouble real fast. You have to think with the right head.

Buena Suerte. Maybe El Chingon will jump fence and get a projectile in him.:D

#17 ·
I love the game cam....it's fun to check out what's going on without having to sit for hours on end just to see a couple of these glimpses.
I just got these pics this evening from the camera....they are a bit foggy...but...that's the weather...not the camera.
(Either a cow or a hog rubbed up against the post holding the camera and the camera was almost upside down....luckily I was able to rotate the pics and crop)

Attachments

#18 ·
Two places. Webb and Dimmit county. We just drive the sendero's with racks on the trucks. I use a remote to tell the driver when to stop, back up, or turn off the engine. No voice communication.

.:D
It's very hot in Webb county. It even hit 87 where I live. Deer probably aren't even moving. Laredo hit 92 yesterday without a cloud in the sky. I saw on the local news at 10pm last night that Laredo was still 80 degrees. I can see them riding up high in those big racks wearing shorts and t-shirts drinking one beer after another and sweating like pigs. :p

I have a gut feeling that a trip to Nueveo Laredo was taken last night. I know a few of the guys and after a good day of sweating, drinking and BS-ing they went across the border to consume cold margarita's, good food, and probably check out the entertainment scene.:D

#21 ·
I have a gut feeling that a trip to Nueveo Laredo was taken last night. I know a few of the guys and after a good day of sweating, drinking and BS-ing they went across the border to consume cold margarita's, good food, and probably check out the entertainment scene.:D

Am I that easy to predict?

Well, you were correct. It was a blast. If I didn't have to work on Monday, I would have gone fishing Monday. Two of the guys drove straight to SPI from the hunt. They had a killer trip. I should have gone and enjoyed life a little more.:D How great for them. Great hunting trip followed a great fishing trip. Life is to good for some people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.