Anyone Familiar With This NZ Knot

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Reaux, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Reaux

Reaux Junior member

Don't ask why I searched for New Zealand Surf Fishing . . . maybe it was that I'm just tired of shoveling snow. Anyway, I ran across this knot that NZ kite fishermen deem to be the best spectra knot in terms of strength for their particular application. I haven't seen mention of this knot on these boards, but if I missed it sorry for the rehash.

Any potential applications to jigging here?

Reaux

Knot Tying Instructions for Spiderwire, Spectra and Other Braid Fishing Lines

The simplest knot in the world, the humble granny, when protected by dacron is probably among the strongest fishing line knots you can tie in spectra.

For maximum strength all that is required to make the knot is a metre or two of dacon fishing line of bigger breaking strain than the spectra you are using.

For example, use 80lb dacron for 50lb spectra and 130lb dacron for 80lb spectra.

The spectra is threaded through a needle and the needle is fed backwards completely through the inside of the dacron. For bigger lines feed one piece of dacron inside another to double the breaking strain before putting the spectra inside.

A granny knot is then tied into the dacron near the end where the spectra was inserted.

This results in a 10% reduction in strength at the granny knot and a vastly increased breaking strain in the last couple of metres of line where both the dacron and spectra continue to the end of the line.

Any secure knot can then be tied to whatever terminal tackle, clip or swivel you wish with real confidence that the final attachment will be 90% of the breaking strain of the spectra.

Fishers who use this method of knotting spectra will be able to tie consistent 90% knots in spectra that vary less than 2% regardless of how poorly they are tied. Absolutely no knowledge of how to tie fishing knots is required.
    For more information on how to tie fishing line visit our knot tying guide on how to tie a loop knot braided loop here

Knot Tying Instructions for Super Braid Fishing Line
    knot tying instructions

The picture I tried to copy didn't come through - you'll have to go to the web site to see it.

Reaux

2. Reaux

Reaux Junior member

Okay here I hope is the picture of the knot.

Reaux

Attached Files:

• 91.jpg
      91.jpg
      File size:
      15.2 KB
      Views:

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Don't ask why I searched for New Zealand Surf Fishing . . . maybe it was that I'm just tired of shoveling snow. Anyway, I ran across this knot that NZ kite fishermen deem to be the best spectra knot in terms of strength for their particular application. I haven't seen mention of this knot on these boards, but if I missed it sorry for the rehash.

Any potential applications to jigging here?

Reaux

Knot Tying Instructions for Spiderwire, Spectra and Other Braid Fishing Lines

The simplest knot in the world, the humble granny, when protected by dacron is probably among the strongest fishing line knots you can tie in spectra.

For maximum strength all that is required to make the knot is a metre or two of dacon fishing line of bigger breaking strain than the spectra you are using.

For example, use 80lb dacron for 50lb spectra and 130lb dacron for 80lb spectra.

The spectra is threaded through a needle and the needle is fed backwards completely through the inside of the dacron. For bigger lines feed one piece of dacron inside another to double the breaking strain before putting the spectra inside.

A granny knot is then tied into the dacron near the end where the spectra was inserted.

This results in a 10% reduction in strength at the granny knot and a vastly increased breaking strain in the last couple of metres of line where both the dacron and spectra continue to the end of the line.

Any secure knot can then be tied to whatever terminal tackle, clip or swivel you wish with real confidence that the final attachment will be 90% of the breaking strain of the spectra.

Fishers who use this method of knotting spectra will be able to tie consistent 90% knots in spectra that vary less than 2% regardless of how poorly they are tied. Absolutely no knowledge of how to tie fishing knots is required.
    For more information on how to tie fishing line visit our knot tying guide on how to tie a loop knot braided loop here

Knot Tying Instructions for Super Braid Fishing Line
    knot tying instructions

The picture I tried to copy didn't come through - you'll have to go to the web site to see it.

Reaux

I am familiar with this knot, have used it and recommended to them that they replace the overhand knot with a figure-eight knot. Using a figure-eight stop knot seems to add 10% or so to the strength. It is pretty good but the knots you tie in the doubled end tend to get large. In terms of strength, I took 30# braid in which I could tie Uni knots to about 20 lbs. strength ... then added 80# dacron as described (but with a figure-eight knot) and got 30 lbs. breaking strength.

Mid and Sig knots are stronger (as are P.R. and Slim Beauty). With my 30# braid I got knots that broke at 40lbs., about the breaking strength of that particular line.