Anybody seen these new baits?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by jig, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jig

jig Senior Member

http://www.stormlures.com/products/luresdetail.cfm?modelName=giant_suspending_thunderstick_madflash&freshorsalt=Both&type=hard_lures

And are they new, or am I just finding them?

NEW Storm® Giant Suspending ThunderStick® MadFlash Hardbaits - Model GSAJM26

$13.99
    The MadFlash finish reflects light creating a kaleidosope of color, and because it's actually inside the body, it continues to sparkle even after getting pounded all day. The Giant Suspending ThunderStick MadFlash suspends with a slower rise than the original Giant ThunderStick MadFlash. Features classic ThunderStick action, a larger diving lip, a built-in rattle, a translucent body with holographic insert, and Red Barbarian 6X hooks. Length: 10-1/4''. Weight: 6-5/16 ounce.
    Features:
    Suspends with a slow rise
    Built-in rattle
    Translucent body with holographic insert
    Red Barbarian 6X hooks

2. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Are you a Storm lures rep. ?

3. jig

jig Senior Member

Hahahahahahah. Would I be asking if they are new if I was a rep?

No.

Just looking for something cheaper than a $50 Souls Brabus. This is a big, heavy bait.

What's with the 6x vmc barbarian hooks? Never heard of them either.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

IMO, it's better to buy a high quality proven lure that will last multiple fish rather than buying a cheaper lure that runs the risk of being busted up on one or two big fish, then going back to buy more as a replacement. Not to say those Storm lures aren't proven or anything.

5. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Jig. ck the weak points. like:

thru-wire construction
    4x strong split rings & hooks

these are the areas of weakness in a hard bait when going after pelagics.
    doesn't appear this bait has either of those attributes, but, not to say I wouldn't mind pitchin' it for STRIPERS!!!!!
    Storm also has some thru-wired soft swimbaits that are as big as your hand
    (literally) at BPS that I was gonna try this year.

you might ck out Bomber's new line........
    I agree, that japanese stuff is WAY high, so I'm constantly looking for a cheaper, yet appropriate substitute. I have not been very successful thus far......
    tight lines

6. jig

jig Senior Member

Yeah, but these hooks are 6x. ;) Of course, what the hell does that mean?

I have used the 9" storm wildeyes swimbaits and I love them. They have been my go to bait last couple of trips, and I have never had one come apart. I would guess I've caught about a half dozen YFT on them to 90lbs. Of course, they are only good for one fish, but they are cheap if you shop for them. I loaded up at an Acadamy clearance rack for $1.88 each.

I am deathly afraid that I am going to fall for the Jap baits if I don't find an alternative before next trip. I found some on ebay that were $110.

7. DanS

DanS Senior Member

The so-called "Red Barbarian 6X hooks" must be new, because they are not shown in VMC's current catalog. The shown Barbarian line is only 2X strong and would likely need to be upgrade.

This is a nice large/heavy lure and only $11.99 at Cabelas.

Has anyone used Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp treble hooks for replacements. I plan to visit their factory store and will buy some L777 4X strong Sea Guards for replacement purposes.

Eagle Claw claims their L954, L960, and L7777BP (all listed as 3X strong) are equivalent to the OwnerST66.

Great price on the 9" swimbaits. I've seen them for $3.99. The 6" were 5 for $2.49. I'm going to try the small ones on West Coast stripers.

8. jig

jig Senior Member

I got a pack of the Eagles and didn't care for them. They have a lot of bend. I put them on my king mac baits.

9. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Do you remember what model(s) you used?

10. jig

jig Senior Member

I am almost positive it was 3/0 or 4/0
    L7777BP
    Finish — Platinum BlackTM
    Straight Point, Round Bend, 4X Strong

11. DanS

DanS Senior Member

I am almost positive it was 3/0 or 4/0
    L7777BP
    Finish — Platinum BlackTM
    Straight Point, Round Bend, 4X Strong

I'm looking at the catalog. 3/0 is as large as that model goes. Otherwise, you've got the specs right.

The L775 & L777 are the only 4X strong that come in 4/0 & 5/0 sizes. They at least look brute. :rolleyes:

12. jig

jig Senior Member

You are right, they are 3/0. Its the one with the short shank.

13. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I recommend changing the hooks to Owner ST-66 trebles, why risk it for a couple of bucks? Here ya go, free shipping too:

Owner ST-66 3/0 4/0 5/0

14. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Thanks lordhell!!

15. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i have been looking at less expensive hardbaits as well. saw some bombers, where it looked like I could file the bill down so it doesnt go more than 10' deep. hard to judge when I have to tune it in freshwater.