Anybody have Pix of Boca BCS410-400??

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Jason4606, May 30, 2008.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Does anybody have any still/action photos and measurements for the Boca BCS410-400 4'10" Spinning Rod?? I've looked and all I can find is a picture of half the grip!

I'm still narrowing my choices down, and this one wasn't even on the short list... That's until I found a site that has them listed for $71! :eek: That price, the positive reviews, and a good warranty makes it worth a closer look...

Thanks!
    Jason

2. papio

papio Senior Member

jason,

I gave my BCS410-400 4'10" Spin Rod to a cousin of mine who was here last year for his first time Tuna jigging. He is now currently doing damage to the Amberjack and Longfin population in Hawaii. I also have the BCS56-520 5'6" 500g. Both rods are great.

What kind of measurements you need? What specific info you require? I don't have any pix of the rod but it is much thinner than the 5'6" and the front and rear grips are almost the same lenght. Great blanks. I did upgrade the guides on both rods to Fuji SIC. Let me know if I can be of further help.

3. Jason4606

Thanks Papio!

I'm most interested in the front and rear grip lengths, and also if it has a gimbal. If so, is it aluminum or plastic? Standard size? (unlike Hopper)

From your experience, how much drag will it handle? Was it OK with heavier jigs - as rated?

I'd love to see pix of that rod loaded up with a big Hawaiian AJ or Longfin!!

Thanks again!
    Jason

4. papio

papio Senior Member

Okay, the front is 8 1/2" and the rear is 15 1/2". it's the same lenght as the 5'6". Adequate rear lenght for deep jigging although I prefer 16". The gimbal is the rubber type as the Hopper's. I haven't had issues with the gimbal yet. Can't give you exact numbers on the drag because I've always used the line pull at the tip method to set my drags - and adjust accordingly when fighting fish.

The rod handle heaveir jigs as rated. The tip is soft enough for comfortable jigging. I also used it for bottom fishing too. I only bring spin jigging rods and spin popping rod on all my outings now, and will use my jiggers for bottom fishing. The Bocas are a thad stiffer than my Hoppers and other Asian rods and I'm am happy with all of them. But i seem to favor and enjoy the cheaper stuff than the higher price Japanese/Chinese rods...go figure.....

5. Jason4606

Thanks much Papio! Sounds just right! I was just affraid that the rear might be 12" like the Trevala F rods... pretty useless.

I would like to look at their other offerings and get a couple at the same time to save on shipping.

Have you used any of their 7-8' rods for poppers or flat-lining live baits??

Thanks!
    Jason

6. papio

papio Senior Member

No. I use OTI 2 pcs 80lb 7'6" and Shimano West Coast Teramar 1 pcs 8' 40lb and match them with Stella and Saragosa reels. The Trevalas are great for light offshore fishing, other wise I stay away from them. Good luck on whatever toys you decide on.

I'm headed down Medina Lake to play tug of war with huge Carp using ultra-light crappie rods. Good fishing........

7. jureal

jureal Senior Member

If you are going to take that rod and virtually re-build it with MNSG SIC guides and a aluminum gimbal....you might just be better off getting the OTI 80 lb blank and build upon that.

8. papio

papio Senior Member

Jason,

About a year ago a boat capt fishing way down south posted a report and pictures on Angler's Pro Shop. He was field testing the Boca 4'10" rod and Cabo PT 80 reel. There were several great pix including a few with him fighting a 100lb + YFT. If you didn't know the rod was a Boca, you would assume it was one of those pricey Japanese jigging rods. The rod looked real good loaded which caught my interest in Boca Jigging Rods.

I made paper copies of those pictures and is posted on my closet wall over my jigging rods. I'll see if i can email or fax you the pix. Send me a PM where to send it to. I'll also see if that post is still at Angler's Pro Shop...laters.

9. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Jason,

Was that you that called Roy's Bait and Tackle this morning, asking for the grip lenghts on the Boca rod? The C.C. Tunaheads were there, we had just put that rod back in the rack after measuring it and writing down the specs for you when you called.

They've got two in stock.

DBG

10. papio

papio Senior Member

Jason,

I found the post. Go to Angler's Pro Shop Forum under Main Category and click on "Catch Report, Photo & Video Forum" then go to page 5 and click on the third post by Bob Veras, titled "Giant Yellowfin Tuna on Poppers & Metals".

Checkout the 4'10" loaded and holding it's own on giant tuna. Great pix!!

11. papio

papio Senior Member

funny it did'nt dawn on me that I had a picture of the rod fully loaded on a YFT. Must be old aging...but my legs feel fine so it can't be age??? Hehehe.

12. Jason4606

DBG - Wasn't me that called, but thanks for the stock info... I may call now!

Papio - Thanks again for all of the info... That's the link that got me so interested, but when I click any of the links to pictures they give the error message "Invalid attachment specified." Are you still able to open them? Maybe it's just me. I'll send PM just in case you have any luck.

Thanks again!
    Jason

13. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

can not
    see them either.