360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Any World Cat owners here?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  shanker 
#1 ·
Title pretty much says it all. I've been looking to upgrade boats and figured now is a good of time as any. I'm 99% sure my next boat is going to be a cat and I've found a pretty good deal on a 26 world cat and was just wondering if there were any owners here who could give me their opinions as owners.

G
#2 ·
if it is an older hull then it might be an issue. anything prior to middle 90's were sea cats and did not have the best integrity. are you sure it is a 26ft and not a 27ft hull. are you buying new or used? i don't own a world cat but have a kevlacat and owned a glacier bay. lock-n-load on the 2cool site might be able to answer your concerns. being the world cat is a planning hull the boat has a different ride and feel than a mono hull be sure to sea trail the boat as some people don't like the soft ride of a cat and prefer getting their spines crushed by a mono hull. go figure!!! do a search on the hull truth board and you wlll get plenty of search results. good luck in your boat purchase and those of us that have fished cats prefer them over mono hulls for the most part...rick

#3 ·
I can give you a charter personal review from being on one in Venice and Jersey. Bad a** ride in choppy seas, its like a hot knife through butter, dont feel a thing. A tremendously balanced platform to fish from in those conditions however once you get into any rollers the boat bottoms out inbetween the hulls which can be extremely annoying at times. The cats also through ALOT of spray through the boat which makes for a wet ride but for the most part all CC's are a wet ride.

I enjoyed my trips on 2 cats except when the seas kicked up from chops to rollers

#4 ·
Mcgolfer its actually a 1999 26'6" and I love the ride of the cats. I've searched THT quite a bit but I wanted to opinion of some guys who fished our choppy gulf versus the east boys opinion. The Glacier Bay we charter out of Venice concinved me I wante a cat!

#6 ·
go for it....I fish both and they both have different good qualities......

I would probably get the glacier bay with a full vinyl enclosure, it rides alot smoother in the rough stuff that we have alot of most of the year.

The world cat is a great boat, it is drier than a glacier bay and faster but it pounds a little more and is a little bit rougher ride in our average conditions..... DO NOT get a world cat 266 with anything less than 200 hp twins on it. I dont care what you think you can get by with, 130s or 150s are way to small.....175s are borderline.....200s perfect, anything more is a bonus.....

as far as swell vs chop, cats ride great in either condition, mono hulls are just faster in swell because you can put the pegs down a little more....

with either of these cats you will be passing up the sportfishers in 3-5' seas and you will be doing it fairly comfortably.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.