Any word or news from Puerto Vallarta?

Discussion in 'South of the Border' started by STx Fisherman, Oct 5, 2008.

1. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Has anyone heard anything from the 360 fishermen that went to PV??
    I hope that they hook up a big one.....can't wait to hear the stories.

2. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

tried to call Friday night. Brets phone is tuned off. Maybe we will know something tonight. I hope they caught big tuna and some black marlin.

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

not a bay day....some of those weights were a bit bloated...

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am at Houston Airport waiting for a flight to Newark Airport, NJ.
    We had a great time though there were not many big tuna around.
    We had sailfish on each trip and had some small tuna on poppers. TJ has a decent 70 lbs yft on kite. We didn't have any big tuna except TJ's catch until this morning. We had to leave the Rock by 10:30 am to catch a flight to NJ and we almost gave up our hope to land a big tuna on this trip.
    But miracle happened. :) A reel was creamining at 10;20 am and we knew it was a decent tuna as the bait was 4 lbs live skipjack. I asked TJ to fight the fish, but he insisted me to fight. It turned out to be a honest 160 lbs (66 - 67 inches). I heard Rick's and Bret's group landed a few marlin upto 400 lbs and small tuna up to 70 lbs on poppers and baits. I hope they land some big tuna today. TJ is going to go solo tomorrow again and I have a good feeling that he could land a cow as it seems new body of big cow moved into the area we fished.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil, how long is your layover?? :)

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

kil, how long is your layover?? :)
    They are boarding now. :)

8. STx Fisherman

Thanks for the quick report Kil. I hope the other guys did well today.
    Congrats on the tuna....that's a nice one!

9. STx Fisherman

Wait a minute....I bet on Kil Song......I hope those other guys don't do so well....:D

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

nice job kil

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Wait a minute....I bet on Kil Song......I hope those other guys don't do so well....:D

Hold on to your britches.
    The game is not over.
    The fourth quarter is tomorrow.:)
    And I own the only guy fishing on the boat.:)

12. STx Fisherman

No....from what I understand...it's over. The fishing was on the 3rd, 4th and 5th. They travel back today.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

No....from what I understand...it's over. The fishing was on the 3rd, 4th and 5th. They travel back today.
    Capt gave special price TJ couldn't resist. :) They were planning to leave dock at 4:00 am and be back by 1:00 pm today.

14. STx Fisherman

Uh oh ... TJ could end up being the spoiler...<grin>
    How did the other guys do on the last day?

15. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Is TJ fishing with Louis? He is such a great guy. He offered to fish with me on the last day with a split on the cost. He would bring on another mate and have Ceasar run the boat. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate and his back was not well enough to make the trip with the rough water and all.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Is TJ fishing with Louis? He is such a great guy. He offered to fish with me on the last day with a split on the cost. He would bring on another mate and have Ceasar run the boat. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate and his back was not well enough to make the trip with the rough water and all.
    We couldn't go on the Babalu on the last day as the boat had some problem and went with Ceasar on his boat. TJ was planned to go with Ceasar. I'll get the report soon.

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

This was my 5th trip to PV in four years.
    John Lee, C Choi and myself arrived at PV in the afternoon on Oct 2. Capt Louis of the Babalu waited us at the airport. The two-bed room condo we were staying were very roomy and nice with great view of Marina.

-view from the balcony.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We went to Victor's Place to have dinner with other fishermen from Texas and Oklahoma and had a great time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10-03
    Capt Louis picked us up right in front of our condo at 6:30 PM.
    Ceasar was our mate for three days. I fished Ceasar last year and was impressed with his local fishing knowledge. He is as good as any other captains in PV though he is young.
    Though there were many boats fishing the Rock, there was no report of cow landed though a few boats caught marlins. We had a nice sailfish. TJ of OTI tackle was relentless casting poppers and rewared with small yellowfin on his OTI poppers. His new proto-type OTI poppers were very nice and it looks the painting job was much better. Many small yft were popping here and there in the afternoon and several boats chased them for popping. This is the first time I saw many boats cast poppers in PV. It seems popping is a new trend in PV.

C Choi fighting a nice sailfish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Capt Louis and the Balabu
    Capt Louis originally came from New York. He is very nice gentleman and very honest person. Whenever I fish with him, it is like fishing with my fishing friend rather than on a charter boat.
    The Balalu is a cusotm super panga and it has more characteristics of center console here.

[​IMG]

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

10-04

We went back to the Rock again as El Banco's report was still poor.
    We didn't see any surface action today and stay trolling with live skipjack. Catching skipjack was not problem. We didn't have any knockdown even we trolled for hours except TJ hooked up a nice sailfish on small live bait. Late on, we decided to drift. TJ was a hero again by catching a respectable 70 -75 lbs yft on the kite he brought.

TJ fighting a sailfish with Stella 20000.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TJ fighting a yft with new proto-type OTI jigging rod and Stella spinning reel. The new OTI jigging rod was very impressive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

We left dock at 3:30 AM as we have to get back by 1:00 pm to catch a flight to Newark, NJ at 3:20 PM. Ceasar broght his boat as the Babalu had some mechanical problem.
    When we got to the Rock, noboat was there. While drifting at dark, I constantly get bites by skipjakc and bonito on my jigs, but no tuna. TJ got a small tuna on live bait and Ceasar hooked a decent fish on live bait which turned out to be another nice sailfish. We caught sailfish on each trip for three days in a row.
    After sun was up, Ceasar decided to troll for big tuna with live skipjack. We had three lines with live skpjack. Two were fat lined and one was 80 ft down with a downrigger. We had one knockdown, but it was slow though we heard some boats had marlin.
    It was already past 10:00 AM and it seemed I had to wait until next trip to get another shot for big tuna as we had to leave the Rock by 10:30 AM.
    But Yogi Berra was right. It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over
    Around 10:20 AM, The reel for downrigger started screaming !
    TJ took the rod and Ceasar run fast to set the hooks solidly.
    Fish is on ! I asked TJ to fight, but he was adament I should fight. I knew it was good size tuna and I asked Braid harness which TJ brought. I slowly gained line, but I could not give pressure I liked to do as the line was only 80 lbs. The Okuma reel's drag was not smooth and sometimes line slipped. I was impressed how Ceasar operated the boat while I was fighing. When tuna was on the surface finally, Ceasar hit the gaff right on the head expertly.
    The fish was not cow, but it was respectable 160 - 170 lbs (66 - 67 inches).

John Lee fighting a sailfish at dark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This tuna was not big, but it fought like a cow.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can not catch cow whenever you fish even in PV. You need luck and patience to catch a cow. But PV is a promising land to cow hunters. I'll be back for another cow hunt.

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

very nice fish kil