Any word on the Capt. Tomeny charter this weekend?

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by STx Fisherman, May 11, 2008.

1. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Has anyone heard from the Capt. Tomeny charter trip that went out this weekend? I'm curious to see if they jigged up any of those 100+ lb. Amberjack or YFT's.

2. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I heard they were supposed to be back today at around 4:00, I'll be they are still unloading fish!!

Where the heck is a dock cam when you need one!

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

3. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Just got a call from Bellyup....they did very good on this trip. They ended up at Brutus and Genesis rigs...they did not make it to Green Canyon.
    He caught his personal best YFT...somewhere between 130-150 lbs. He lost a bigger one!

Another YFT over 100 lbs. was caught. Total YFT's was somewhere around 20 and around 15-20 AJ's were jigged. The catch was on topwaters for YFT and butterfly type jigs for AJ's. We'll have to get pics and a report from these guys....sounds like they had a great trip.

4. DeepBlueGulf

Thanks for the initial report... just makes me wish it was July 4th on the Big E already!!

DBG

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It looks it is time to fish Gulf of Mexico. :)

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I'm probably booking the week before the 76 hour on the 4th in case people want to go on that as well. :D

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Just got a call from Bellyup....they did very good on this trip. They ended up at Brutus and Genesis rigs...they did not make it to Green Canyon.
    He caught his personal best YFT...somewhere between 130-150 lbs. He lost a bigger one!

Another YFT over 100 lbs. was caught. Total YFT's was somewhere around 20 and around 15-20 AJ's were jigged. The catch was on topwaters for YFT and butterfly type jigs for AJ's. We'll have to get pics and a report from these guys....sounds like they had a great trip.

sounds like a great trip, cant wait for the report.

8. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

It was great trip indeed. Not only did I catch my first YFT tuna, it was on top water. It was simply awesome. All the people that came were very cool. There were plenty of pics taken. I imagine when everyone recovers they'll post all the pics.

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

We had a great trip. I met many great fishermen as well. Capt Tomeny was great. First stop took us to a rig loaded with AJs. I hooked up on my first drop and lost my favorite jig in the tug of war with the AJ. I went on to loose several fish and did not manage an AJ. I redeemed myself the first night by landing a nice YFT that likely was 120-130 pounds. Unfortunately, no scale at the Capt Tomeny's. I would say the fish was at least as big as a 118 pounder I caught 2 years ago. This YFT was caught after about 4 or 5 casts with my Stella 20K. Now that is a way to break in a reel. The pics below are of the large YFT.

I lost a large YFT that I could never pull close enough to the boat despite maximum bend on the OTI 50 pound spinning rod. I fought it for about 45minutes and then handed it off as I was beat. I had heavy pressure on that fish from the time it was hooked until it broke free. It was only about 15 yards away when it broke free. This tuna hit an OTI popper. That fish was tough!! I hope he got away uninjured.

The night surface bite was on and there were plenty of flying fish.

2 nice wahoo were caught on the troll. I think they were 40-50 pound class fish.

I must thank Jim for putting together a great trip!!!

The jig fishermen were out in full force. They put me to shame! :)

Attached Files:

10. DeepBlueGulf

Nice yellowfin Scott!!!

Glad you all had a great trip!

Tom

11. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Do you know what floaters you guys fished?

12. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Fishing trip was a blast.........
    It's great and fun fishing with you guys......

13. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Do you know what floaters you guys fished?

I believe we fished Genesis and Brutus.

14. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Congrats on the trip Scott.. Sounds like a fun time!!

15. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Freddy, you have a PM

16. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Quote from Capt Nick and Tomeny ''it was the best tuna bite of the year, 100 pound tuna were slamming flyer's and skying 10 feet out of the water all around the boat'' sums up how good this trip was.It was the hottest tuna bite I have ever seen it was absolutly none stop from sunset to sunrise every thing thrown got hit from jigs to poppers.Daytime jigging was as good as you could ask for the Aj's definetly beat us up.There were several broken OTI rods
    a 600 gram jigging rod broke right next to me above the first guide Pjun was jigging his jig got slammed the rod bowed and crack, See Ya game over.
    Bellups managed to brake the other one around the same area not sure what happened there all he said was ''it was big''
    Got to go will give more details and pics.

17. gmack

gmack Senior Member

I believe we fished Genesis and Brutus.

I had heard Genesis was hot and had given up a marlin or two in the last couple of weeks.

Good trip guys!

I fished Fourchon also this weekend.......but it was a trip with my godchild and he had a blast catching sheephead and redfish at the rigs just off the beach.

Gary