Any Varmint hunters/precision wildcat ..

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by VaRandy, Sep 10, 2008.

1. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

shooters on this board. I am equally as driven for that world as big fish on light tackle!

2. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

Cant say i'm a wildcater, although i love to shoot my Ruger M77 22-250 varmiter.I reload with a Hornady 55gr. ballistic tip. I'd have to go look and see what the powder charge is. I know it is IMR 4064.

3. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

I'm a 22-250 guy as well

Remington 700 -

Done some reloading but have found that the Remington 55gr. Core lock out of the box shoots lights out.

Best/ Luckiest kill
    9pt Buck at 283 yards, dropped it in its tracks
    LUCK - (hit a rib, and bounced into the spine, no exit wound)

Tons of Hogs, dogs, and two cats (Bob-Cats)

4. red34

red34 Guest

i have been looking into putting together a couple rifles after doing some long distance shooting with some friends at TacPro. i will most likely go with a varmint/sniper style upper for my AR. i built the lower with this in mind anyway. between the rifles, optics, reloading equipment, and all the odds and ends you can get into the several thousands of $$'s before you fire a shot.

i swear between guns, offshore fishing, golf...i gotta get some less expensive hobbies!!

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I don't have a dedicated varmint rifle as such, but I love shooting the critters with my Rifles Incorporated Strata (custom ultra light) in .300 Win Mag that weighs in at just under 7 pounds complete with 4 rounds and Swarovski 3-12. It will shoot factory Fed Premium Noslers into a 1/2 inch hole on the rare occasions when I do my part (which is rarely). When you touch the trigger it changes life on earth as we know it--both for the varmints and for me. The hard part is waiting all afternoon for the barrel to cool down. :)

Russ

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I love to varmint hunt.. but I am not that into it.. I just started shooting my
    .17 and really like what it will do to a critter.. My best shot was 356 steps at a doe in the rain with a custom mauser .270 w/ an old weaver k-4.. she folded like a cheap suit.. the other two just looked at her like "whats wrong with you"

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I build guns in my part time, so I guess I would qualify for the wild catting. My go to gun is a 6-284 shooting the 117 grain DTac bullets. This past season I was hunting with my dad and a doe stepped out on my food plot at 562 yards(rangefinders are a must over 400 yds) I set the drop in the scope for the range and set the windage and he did the easy part, and the doe dropped in her tracks.

My varmint gun is a 20 tactical. It has taken several cats and yotes. Its also hell on the hogs, but a head shot is a must.

d-a

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I owned a .220 Swift years ago. It was a great varmint caliber. Fast, but short barrel life. I was hunting last year and a guy pulled out a .204 Ruger. It was nice. There wasn't any varmints around, but it did a great job on empty cans placed in a field. I think if I bought another varmint caliber, it would be the .204 Ruger.

Heres a video of the .204 in action. If you like gophers, you might think twice about opening up this video.

YouTube - .204 ruger vs gophers

9. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I have two varmint rifles and love them both.

My Sako 22-250 varmint bull barrel rifle is awesome. I can hit the center of a Gatorade cap at 100 yards.

I also bought a sweet Anschutz 22 hornet rifle last year that is very nice. This is one fun rifle.
    I need to take some of my old freezer fish that I intended to use for chum and put it out in the middle of a field or opening and spotlight those coyotes or hogs....whichever show up first.

10. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

I have a ruger #1 in 270 cal that is extremely accurate. i have it sighted in at 200yds. factory remington core lokt that you could cover with a nickle. Of course i have a harris bipod on it also.

11. turfman

turfman Member

I gave it up about 15 yrs ago; but I used to shoot at the 1000yd bench matches in Williamsport Pa. I ended up shooting in the heavy class with a .308baer sled gun. Unfortunatley my friend that introduced me to the sport passed away and I just kinda lost interest.

All my life though; I've been around muzzleloaders. Used to shoot them competitivley as a junior, and am trying to break myself back into the world of competitive black powder shooting.

12. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

I shot 1000 as well with the IBS side of the house. Now I mostly do whistlepigs at extreme distance.

Who was your mentor in Pa?

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I had a custom made 6.5 x 300wby made for me to shoot larger game. The caliber is used by 1000 yard shooters. It's a killer long range gun. Believe it or not, I was really into guns for about 20 years. All of my current rifles are custom made. I got to the point where I didn't like any of the factory ones. At one time I had over 75 rifles and pistols.:eek:

I had no idea what I have right now. I do know that I have some of those old 151 Qt igloos full of reloading equipment and ammo. I do remember that each one was over 200 pounds before I stored them. Hunting and shooting was my life for a while. I still like to toss some lead. :)

Here's a picture of the 6.5 x .300 weatherby. Look at post #12.
    http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f70/fred-killers-bottom-feeders-1918/index2.html

14. gman

gman Senior Member

Ok Im out of my league here, closet thing to a gun Ive come is a glock no rifles

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

MrBill: That caliber is so freakin' overbore that you probably only got about 400 rounds to the barrel!

16. turfman

turfman Member

MrBill: That caliber is so freakin' overbore that you probably only got about 400 rounds to the barrel!

They used to have a 6.5 baer in the makings. it was a 404 jeffry shoulder blown out and necked down. After the first 7 or so blew the primer pocket out, they switched gears; machined a 2 peice casing the end of the casing was made of ss mated to the brass round. Held together good, barrel lasted about 10 shots. Never went urther than that.

I worked up a poor mans big bore a couple years ago. took a H&R ultra slugger 20ga and made it a 600nitro. that was fun.

More overbore than the 6.5x300wby is the 378wby or its parent .416 rigby necked down.

Honestly, even my 6.5x.284 barrels could only do about 300rds before groups started to loosen up.

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That's only about $8 bucks every time I pull the trigger. :D

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

As you probably know, a few years ago, some guy with more money than T-Boone Pickens has put into his latest wind farm, had a .700 Nitro built. When someone asked him why, he said: "...because it's bigger than a .600."--and I think they started selling them to anyone in the general public who wanted to drop a hundred-and-a-half or so. The stock powders in those old English cartridges aren't too exciting, but you could neck down the .700 case to 6.5, fill it up with Bullseye and no doubt get a substantial increase in muzzle velocity. :D

Russ

19. turfman

turfman Member

I shot 1000 as well with the IBS side of the house. Now I mostly do whistlepigs at extreme distance.

Who was your mentor in Pa?

Herb Miller. If you even thought you heard of him you couldn't mistake him from anyone else.

20. turfman

turfman Member

As you probably know, a few years ago, some guy with more money than T-Boone Pickens has put into his latest wind farm, had a .700 Nitro built. When someone asked him why, he said: "...because it's bigger than a .600."--and I think they started selling them to anyone in the general public who wanted to drop a hundred-and-a-half or so. The stock powders in those old English cartridges aren't too exciting, but you could neck down the .700 case to 6.5, fill it up with Bullseye and no doubt get a substantial increase in muzzle velocity. :D

Russ

Tis not the velocity that is exciting; just the fact that they are killers on both ends.