360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if there were any of you out there that own a Van Staal size 275 spinning reel for jigging.

-Pros and cons?
-What you like about owning them?
-Jigging experiences?
-Drag performance?

The pricing is $739.00
Capacity is 350 yards of #80 braid.

I own the smaller 150 version for inshore fishing and light (110g-240g) jigging and bottom fishing.

How does it compare to say:

- Daiwa Saltist
- Shimano Saragosa 18000
- Shimano Stella 20000 ( i feel like i already know the answer here )

ARE Van Staal's even worth looking at for the jigging purposes of Tuna?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get the bailed version, because if you get hit on the drop, you might lose a fingertip getting the line on the roller.
The drag stack is a bit small and is not capable of the pressures of reels like the Stella 20000 or the big Saltiga.
A Shimano Thunnus16000 is a decent budget reel and has plenty of capacity and drag.

·
686 Posts
I bought one because I was trying to get my rod and reel combo as light as possible for jigging. The only thing I liked about the reel was the sound of the drag clicker. After back to back BFT, it seems like I was fighting the fish and the reel. I know people say that it should get smoother after continuos use but I'm not that patient. The next issue is the tiny knob that you're suppose to grab on too while fight a fat tuna. I guess it would be fine if hobbits were using the reel. The last and most annoying thing is how the line is laid on the spool. You get this funky uneven hourglass shape that prevents you from adding that extra 50 to 70yds. of line. I don't think a reel of this caliber and price should have any of these issues. I had the 275 on a OTI 600g. rod. I didn't catch anything big enough to really test out the drag. I think that you would be much happier with the Saragosa. I really wanted to try the full bail ZeeBaas but since it's made by the same creator of the VanStaal I wonder if it going to have the same line laying problems. It would be a dream come true for me if I can find a reel with the same features as the Stella 20K that weighs about 20oz. I think I would pay up to $2k if there was such a reel. I mean no disrespect to VanStaal. The reel is built like a tank and would probably last a lifetime but it just does not fit my preference. I hope this helps with your decision on your next reel.

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both of your opinions mean alot to me. I may be out in the canyons by next weekend. Alot to learn... but I am committed....

·
686 Posts
If you live close to Cabelas or BPS buy it from them, use it on your trip and return it after your trip if you don't like it. Thats what I did.
Make sure you don't get any boat rash on the reel if you're gonna return it to BPS.

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought one because I was trying to get my rod and reel combo as light as possible for jigging. The only thing I liked about the reel was the sound of the drag clicker. After back to back BFT, it seems like I was fighting the fish and the reel. I know people say that it should get smoother after continuos use but I'm not that patient. The next issue is the tiny knob that you're suppose to grab on too while fight a fat tuna. I guess it would be fine if hobbits were using the reel. The last and most annoying thing is how the line is laid on the spool. You get this funky uneven hourglass shape that prevents you from adding that extra 50 to 70yds. of line. I don't think a reel of this caliber and price should have any of these issues. I had the 275 on a OTI 600g. rod. I didn't catch anything big enough to really test out the drag. I think that you would be much happier with the Saragosa. I really wanted to try the full bail ZeeBaas but since it's made by the same creator of the VanStaal I wonder if it going to have the same line laying problems. It would be a dream come true for me if I can find a reel with the same features as the Stella 20K that weighs about 20oz. I think I would pay up to $2k if there was such a reel. I mean no disrespect to VanStaal. The reel is built like a tank and would probably last a lifetime but it just does not fit my preference. I hope this helps with your decision on your next reel.

I bought the VS150 for my surf plugging/inshore needs. In the same way as you, I was wowed by the bulletproof engineering, tuffness, and durability of the design. Another thing I loved about the Van Staal besides the weight was that I didn't have to service it so much.

Now comes the bad, after pluging, light jigging, and bottom fishing for endless hours I come to a conclusion that I also was fighting the reel while fighting the fish. Something that should never happen. On many accounts I was:

-tightening the handle elbow star nut whilst retreiving line (FISH ON)
-missing my grip on the knob when fighting because it was way toooo small

These two things have discouraged me when thinking about purchasing another Van Staal. I much rather spend my hard earned dollars on shimano that has been proven to stand up to big game and won't have me fighting it while fighting perhaps the fish of a lifetime.

Of course I could do what you suggested here with cabelas or bps but I rather not pretend I like another van staal knowing my reason is to return it soonthereafter. :D

Zeebass is another reel I refuse to experiment with. Ideally any $1000.00+ I spend on a reel should have all the best attributes. A reel that is lightweight for jigging, holds 400 yards of #80 braid, has the ability of #40 lbs of drag (although I may never use it), and will only help me fight the fish while on the line is what I am looking for.

So far, it still comes down to Shimano, Daiwa, and Accurate. Any of the three will give u the above attributes without the funky hourglass line lay.

Enoch

·
17 Posts
Had a VS... tarted out with wahoo and sailfish on the troll... Just like you fought the reel... the clicker did not last long with the Wahoos either... The drag was fine for trolling on light lines. Jigging is another story...simply did not cut it for me.... exchanged it to a friend of mine for a cheaper reel (shimano sustain). For the money spent on a Van staal.... By all means go with a 20k stella for jigging... the smoothness and drag will set new standards for you if you are used to the Van Staal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts