Any photographers? I need tips for Canon EOS 50D

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Bellyups, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I am going to Panama this weekend for 4 days fishing and I borrowed a canon D50 from borrowlenses.com. I have it matched to a Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L lens and I will have a EF 70-200 f4.0L for telephotos.

I know a lot about film cameras but not much about digital. I have a few questions

What ISOs are usually the crispest with the least noise for photographing on the boat? I am thinking of shooting at a wide aperture for many shots to blur the background, so are real low ISOs (ie 50) good or should I stay at 100-400?

How many megapixs should I shoot? It has 15.1

Any metering problems with this camera?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Here is info on the camera

Should I shoot Jpeg or Raw? Which is better quality?

Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera

2. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

pm Hatidua. his stuff makes magazine covers.

-Brian

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I am going to Panama this weekend for 4 days fishing and I borrowed a canon D50 from borrowlenses.com. I have it matched to a Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L lens and I will have a EF 70-200 f4.0L for telephotos.

I know a lot about film cameras but not much about digital. I have a few questions

What ISOs are usually the crispest with the least noise for photographing on the boat? I am thinking of shooting at a wide aperture for many shots to blur the background, so are real low ISOs (ie 50) good or should I stay at 100-400?

How many megapixs should I shoot? It has 15.1

Any metering problems with this camera?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Here is info on the camera

Should I shoot Jpeg or Raw? Which is better quality?

Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera
    Raw is better quality but you have to have a raw image converter to be able to do anything with them. I would stick to the highest jpeg quality.
    As far as the ISO I ussually stay from 100-400. These cameras are very intelligent. I would suggest reading up on histograms so you can tell what kind of quality you are getting as you go. The cameras are very good in the automatic modes. I only shoot in manual if I am shooting wakeboarding or portraits. OH and BTW... These Canon DSLR's hate saltwater!:mad: I have a d30 and an old d60. The 60 had to be rebuilt because of saltwater spray.

4. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Attached Files:

• UWP.jpg
      UWP.jpg
      File size:
      151 KB
      Views:
  5. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

WTH!!!

How did BellyUp get so danged skinny!!! STX too! LOL!!! That's funny as Heck!

Is the yellow-faced guy Mr. Bill?

Tom - DBG

6. STx Fisherman

From Left to Right:
    TJ - Minnow
    Tom - DeepBlueGulf
    Richard - STxFisherman
    Mr. Bill
    John - Grescobia
    Scott - Bellyups

lol ... How did you recognize Mr. Bill ?

7. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Too Funny!!

Hey Scott!

I don't know much about Canon. There are so many good choices now, I just personally liked some features and VR lens choices better from Nikon so went that route... But that's neither here nor there...

You can force ISO, but the hi ISO capabilities of the new frames is so strong (up to 1600 or higher) that softness shouldn't really be an issue for snapshots. On my older Nikon D50 I think I lock it at 800 max and only adjust manually for certain shots. (Basically, if I'm clicking away with good light I go auto and forget it.)

I think megapixels are way over-hyped. If your lenses are capable of framing the shot, any new DSLR ahould have Way more than enough resolution. I've had shots with my old 18-55mm lense where I couldn't get close enough to the subject matter, and at 6.1MP couldn't really use the cropped images above 4x6". But my new 18-200mm carry lense has fixed most of those. :) Nothing is absolute and more pixels for one particular shot one day may be important. But I can't imagine that you'd be disappointed with anything over 10MP.

I agree that high quality JPEG is fine and that's what I shoot. I'm not a professional and don't want to post-process every shot other than some basic tweaks. But memory cards are cheap and some new DSLRs allow saving both Raw and JPEG. Not sure if 50D allows this, but might be another option if you ever needed it for a certian shot.

I'm probably upgrading to Nikon D90 soon... Might want to check out no-BS reviews of both Canon and Nikon (arguably more-slanted toward Nikon though ;)) at:

KenRockwell.com

Later!
    Jason

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Great information and thanks to all!

Richard, perhaps you should make McGolfer the cheeseburger guy. I knede to lurn haw too spel, LOL!! :)

I have some good canon L lenses which I have had for my film camera. I thought to rent a new 5d or d50 at the last minute.

9. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Richard, I am LMAO, that's just too funny.

Scott, rent the 5D. It's an awesome camera, 21mega pixel, preview shot and amazing video.

Btw, I shoot auto so no help there. Buddy of mine is a great outdoor photographer. I will ask him his opinion and post his answer.

Check out his work.
    www.danator.com

10. gman

gman Senior Member

hahahahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah

11. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

TJ, I thought about the new 5D, but ordered quickly at the last minute. The store I reviewed had high customer satisfaction, and they had rented all the new 5Ds so I went with the d50. I don't mind the cropped sensor in case we hook a big black marlin.

Scott

12. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

FUNNY RICHARD.I NEED TO FRAME THAT PIC.

13. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Scott:

You got more camera than you'll probably ever use. However, it's always good to 'overbuy'... sort of like fishing rods.

Maybe you should hire me to come along and document this excursion. :D

DanS: LensLight.com

I shoot a Canon 20D with a few different lens.

The 16-35 f2.8f is a very fast, quality lens (great for wide angle and low light conditions) and you'll probably use this lens the most. Keep it on the camera and set at 35. 16 is very wide and only useful for panorama situations.

The Canon cameras are pretty idiot proof. ;)

The answers to your questions are predicated on how you'll use the digital images once you return. If you're looking to do enlargements to hang on a wall (more demanding), then shoot the highest settings (CR2/Raw). If you'll just be sharing pics with friends/family or posting images here, then medium-to-large JPEGs will do fine. Either way, someone will need to tweak the images for whatever goal you have in mind. If both goals are the objective, you can select both setting...however, you'll need large cards to store all the digits. A high-end DSLR camera like the 50D is a data hog.

ISO has to do with sensors sensitivity to light. Lower the number, the less sensitive, less noise, and cleaner image. This is great for landscape, but poor for action shots.

I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the settings on the exposure mode dial.
    [​IMG]

The seafoam green box is fully automatic. Moving clockwise, are simple image modes. For action shots on the boat of people catching fish, use the 'runner' image. For images of the ocean or beach, use the panorama (mountain image). Head and face shots, use the woman's head icon (portrait). "Blurring the background" is typically used only in portrait and object photography, and automatically is set with the portrait mode.

ISO 50-100 - Extremely bright light
    ISO 200 - 400 - Bright light to a few clouds (Normal range)
    ISO 800 and up - Dim lighting conditions.

"Megapixs" is a function of the camera's sensor, not a setting. What the setting, the camera uses all 15.1 million pixs. The value of such a huge amount of data is only seen and appreciated when doing high quality enlargements.

"Metering problems with this camera?" No. All "problems" will be operator errors.

You should read the DPReview on the Canon 50D to try and orient yourself to the features. However, that's an awesome task.

If you have further questions, post them or PM me.

14. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Dan i have to share with you how surprise & happy I was when I saw some of your great trips around the world , specially my Favourite destination Lanzarote .
    Got nostalgic & homesick seeing those great photos on my Homeland. BTW did you went fishing while you were there?. Famara has a great surf fishing & jigging its very good as bottom fishing all over the island as well as trolling for tunas or marlin.
    Thank you for getting me a bit closer to my folks

Actually, you drilled down to the photo website shared by my three adult sons. My youngest son (former USAF F16 fighter pilot) vacationed in Lanzarote while he was stationed in France and Italy. He shoot a Canon G9 and is also getting into saltwater fishing.

15. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks everyone. I think I will be able to post some nice pics after this trip. I have read many of the links mentioned.

Scott

16. STx Fisherman

Dan,

Thanks for the info. Visited your web page and have been doing some reading also. I noticed that your link to Feisol tripods is no longer in use. The website is FEISOL USA / North America - Tripods Monopods Ball Heads now I believe.

I tyed www .feisol.net (without the space after www) and it came up with the link automatically on here.

Thanks for all of the great info!

17. STx Fisherman

Dan, I used to go mule deer hunting around the four corners area and was able to see the caves carved into the sides of the mountains where the "cliff dwellers" used to live. Your pictures of the area are outstanding. Mesa Verde is a great national park.

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I went to college in Colorado. That's where I had my Nikon F2 and three lenses stolen from my dorm room.:mad: I took it upon myself to find out who did stole them. They didn't like my Texas style of investigation so I was asked to leave.:eek:

19. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I went to college in Colorado. That's where I had my Nikon F2 and three lenses stolen from my dorm room.:mad: I took it upon myself to find out who did stole them. They didn't like my Texas style of investigation so I was asked to leave.:eek:

What the heck were you doing in that liberal state:confused:? Hunting? Texas women are so much better than Colorado women:) .

20. DanS

DanS Senior Member

21. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

What the heck were you doing in that liberal state:confused:? Hunting? Texas women are so much better than Colorado women:) .

I was 18, wanted to go to school out of state. It didn't take long for me to discover I made a mistake. I almost made it one semester before my exit.:eek:

Yes, I did hunt. In fact, to much hunting. I only attended school two days a week and hunted five days.:) I also discovered they do not take kindly to keeping two rifles stored in the lift up ceiling tiles in your dorm room.:mad:

As far as women, my first day on campus I bagged my first one. Problem was they didn't tell me women weren't allowed in your dorm room. My future room mate and his parents caught me having a little afternoon delight:) when they arrived on campus. He lived in Colorado. I got him real drunk the first night after his parents left. He ended up in jail that night and his parents were really pissed the next day. I was called a "Horrible Influence" by the mother and he was moved to another dorm.:D