Any personal experience on 3-Piece PE8 Stick-bait rods?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by ShadowCaster, Nov 21, 2020.

1. ShadowCaster

ShadowCaster New Member

Hi,

I'm in a market for another PE8 stick bait rod as a back-up. I thought having a 3-pc configuration that I can hand carry into the aircraft cabin would be advantages just in case the checked in rod tube don't show up in time. Some of the options I am considering are :
    1. Zenaq Expedition 83-6 GT
    2. Temple Reef Ronin 83-8 EXP
    3. Ripple Fisher GTXpedition 81MH

Can anyone share your PERSONAL experience on any of the the above rods please? My primary rod is a Carpenter EP 82/38 so I am looking for a backup with similar action.

Any other recommendations on alternatives with similar rod specifications will also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

3. ShadowCaster

ShadowCaster New Member

Hi Boston Tangler, Thanks for your comments. You also mentioned Yamaga 79/3, but I could not find any 3-piece expedition models on their on-line catalog, confirm you were referring to the Aquila 79/3?

4. eatmorelionfish

eatmorelionfish Member

Here's my thoughts. I was in a similar boat as you last year, although looking for a 3 piece PE 6 travel stickbait rod rather than PE 8 (and my budget seems to be a bit less than yours). Ultimately, I settled for the Daiwa Saltiga AirPortable PE 4-6. While the rod is not perfect, it is quality for the ~$350 I paid. Downsides from the numerous different 3 piece rods I've used and owned was durability and balance. Most were tip heavy and were much less forgiving to any high-sticking due to stress concentrations in the ferrule joints (St Croix travel rods were a nightmare even if their customer service were willing to replace the rods…reel seats coming loose, handle wraps coming loose, unable to use any drag pressure, etc).

The Daiwa Saltiga AP rods can be found at a significant discount to the rods you listed through some European retailers occasionally. The Daiwa is extremely durable compared to all my previous travel rods, but heavier than the equivalent Zenaq expedition that I also tested out. I'd argue the zenaq is less durable than the Daiwa after the abuse Cavy put on the Saltiga APs and my experiences with it and Daiwa's Ardito travel rod line..but I don't know the composite prepreg layup angles on the Zenaq or data points of that zenaq breaking. Components are top of the line quality Fuji titanium K like the RF GTX. Zenaq and Daiwa both have a very nice action for stickbaits in the lure weight range listed. Ultimately, i did not think any other travel rod was worth the ~$300 premium to the Daiwa travel rod, which also offered a lifetime warranty (not sure what the warranty process is like with Daiwa rods though) and don't expect them to be in the same ballpark as a Carpenter.
    Note, the USDM Dawia Saltiga rods are far inferior to the JDM and Euro Daiwa Saltiga AirPortable travel rods.

On the other hand, I've had trouble carrying the 3-piece travel rod on numerous airlines internationally, particularly through Qatar, Taiwan, Philippines, and occasions in Indonesia. I have had no issues domestically in the USA + Hawaii, the Caribbean, and I *think* Malaysia. Consequently, I wish Daiwa rods had a hardshell case rather than semi rigid.

5. ShadowCaster

ShadowCaster New Member

Hi eatmorelionfish, Thanks for your detail review of the Daiwa Saltiga AP. I was not aware of this line of rod until reading your post, but will certainly look into it! Best Regards.