360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recieved this reel for Christmas and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this model say vs the standard SX (non MC). I suspect the MC feature hinders casting distannce to some degree, but I am curious if anyone has any real world comparisons vs the standard SX.

Tight lines

·
223 Posts
It does not hinder casting, once you have it dialed in. I have it, and it casts great. I recommend you take it out to an open area, and do a lot of test casting with various size bank sinkers to get an idea what setting will maximize your cast without backlashing. I have been able to cast 100yds with 2 oz, 8ft St. Croix 2C80HF (12-25lb) custom rod, and 50lb power pro no problem. Keep in mind the drag is not really up to fishing much more than 30-40lbs line. I use 50lb power pro with a 20-30lb leaders on mine. You could probably go to 30lb power pro, but 300yds of 50 fits the reel perfectly.

·
652 Posts
I love my SX for all around inshore fishing here in the NE. From fluke to inshore tuna and everything in between I use it all the time. I don't have the MC version but basically you sacrifice a little casting distance for less backlashes (you will still need to thumb the spool as your lure slows/hits the water but NOT during the whole cast). Just a trade off you have to decide if you like or not. I'm fine without the MC version but maybe others would like having nearly effortless casts time and again.

·
110 Posts
I have the old SX that I magged out oldskewl style and it casts great. I use it on my surf rod and pitch eight and bait with ease. It's a very versatile reel. I've used it for everything from chunkin for Cobia to trolling for Spanish in the Yak. I hear the factory magged ones are very nice. good present!

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies gents. Sounds like everyone "sorda" likes their SX MC reels - lol. I am gathering the MC feature does not get to much in the way of free spool. I've heard that it's impossible to totally disengage the MC even on the lowest setting, but supposedly by putting the reel in "bait" mode it moves the spool away from the side plate more and one can achieve even more free spool in the lowest setting. Anyway, I'm interested in giving it a try this summer. I plan to team it up with my new 7' Lamiglas BL7030.

I was thinking of putting 55lb Diawa Boat Braid on it if for any other reason I love this line and the diameter should allow me to pack a full spook of 330 yds. Plus I want to use it for jigging for small/med size AJ's and whatever else out at the wrecks. Is anyone else using this line on their SX?

Love the pink reel idea, but unfortunately the guys I fish with might not understand :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts