any one tried the saltist spinning reel?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by jiggawhat, Sep 10, 2009.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on the saltist spinning reel yet?

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

had my hands on it but didnt fish it.

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

any hands on the 2 speed conventional yet?

i think bret u mentioned that there may not be a real good reason for the design of these 2-speeds in the size they are currently available at...

i guess it goes to the seabass...:cool:

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah i played with that as well. i didnt fish either so i wont say for sure whether my observations are true, but from fishing similar reels there are a few things i noticed:

saltist spinner

- it feels fine....the gearing is a bit high for jigging but assuming they're made of good material then its doable. time will tell but if until i see how they perform id recommend a saragosa for $70 more.

saltist 2spd lever drag
    - i dont see a need for 2 speeds on a reel that small - i havent found the need to put a reel into low gear for a striper or blackfish. but i think they did it as a reaction to people thinking its a really good thing to have.
    - the reel seemed fine at lower drags but did bind a lot at higher drag settings. now, i have no clue the drag i put the reel at, but IMO a reel maker should limit the drag range on a reel to something reasonable that you can fish with. if you can hardle engage the reel or crank it then its not too helpful.
    - the handle was foam......my first thought was "that is going to be disgusting after one day of blackfishing". but maybe it wont be, we'll see.

i think the reel would be perfectly fine for blackfish, seabass, bluefish, stripers.......but id be leary about the smaller models for tuna. the 40 and 50 should be OK but again - time will tell.

5. turfman

turfman Member

You know I used to say the same thing about small reels being 2 speed. I have changed my mind however with kids and the girlfriend fishing with me now. the 2 speed really helps them bring fish in without exhausting them.

It is rather unmanly having 4 pink and purple avet sx's in the racks in the garage though.

6. fish on

fish on Member

I really am also intersted to see when someone will buy and test the new saltist spinner as i too am considering between the saltist 6500 and the 18000 saragosa but only time and tests will tell