Any Avet HXJ guys out there?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Enoch, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

How does the Avet HXJ stand up for jigging conventionals?
    Does anyone on the board own one and if so have you had any problems?

I am considering the hxj on my st. croix pm79xxxhf rod. I may just use it for double duty and let the guys on the boat chunk with it too.

ye or nay.....? and why? thanks for the help.

2. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Its a good reel and I have had no problems with it but its a little on the large side(diameter) of a jigging reel for me.
    I guess it depends on your jigging style and if you palm the reel when jigging, also your hand size. I wear XL or XXL gloves and I can palm it but some others cant. If you hold the rod then this doesnt matter.

3. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I had one for two trips, I wound up selling it cause it was a bit too big for my hands. ALso I didn't care for the hi speed. IMO too high

4. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Enoch,

FWIW, I use a Shimano Ocea 5000P on my 2m79XXXH and really really like this combo. A 4000P would work just as well, but I wanted the extra capacity since I sometimes jig very deep (600ft.+).

For long jigging rods, I worry less about being able to palm the reel. For short jigging rods though, a narrow reel that's easy to palm is an absolute must.

5. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Enoch,

FWIW, I use a Shimano Ocea 5000P on my 2m79XXXH and really really like this combo. A 4000P would work just as well, but I wanted the extra capacity since I sometimes jig very deep (600ft.+).

For long jigging rods, I worry less about being able to palm the reel. For short jigging rods though, a narrow reel that's easy to palm is an absolute must.

Sea Crappie,

Are you using the PM79xxxhf rod built by st. croix or a custom built from just the blank? Im not sure what I think of the 4000 size. If I go with the ocea, it will be 5000P.
    Are you using the rod for long jigging or chunking combo? I suppose it is possible. I like the star drag compared to the lever

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Enoch

I believe sea crappies is a custom built rod off that blank.

Also the 4000 will serve you well unless targeting larger than 200lb tuna and deep dropping. I have a 5000(got a good deal on it) and it holds almost 600 yds of 80lb OTI full.

d-a

7. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Enoch

d-a is correct, my m79xxxh is a custom stick I wrapped myself. It's spiral wrapped with rail rod grips and a DPSH Fuji seat.

To me the OJ just pairs perfectly with it. The rod has such a fast recovery and strong butt that I don't think you need a 2speed reel with it. The OJ line are some of my favorite jigging reels.

8. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

I used an HX at Guadalup Island on my 5 day trip yo-yoing for yellows. Great reel. Lot's of power and fast retrieve.

I paired it with a Super Seeker 6465XH and just put the wood to the yellowtail.

9. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I used an HX at Guadalup Island on my 5 day trip yo-yoing for yellows. Great reel. Lot's of power and fast retrieve.

I paired it with a Super Seeker 6465XH and just put the wood to the yellowtail.

lol putting wood to them yellowtail sounds like a plan. :D
    that is a nice rod match up

10. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Enoch

d-a is correct, my m79xxxh is a custom stick I wrapped myself. It's spiral wrapped with rail rod grips and a DPSH Fuji seat.

To me the OJ just pairs perfectly with it. The rod has such a fast recovery and strong butt that I don't think you need a 2speed reel with it. The OJ line are some of my favorite jigging reels.

I'm interested in getting a new blank, cutting it short and acid wrapping as well. where did you pick up your blank?