Another spring break fishing question: West Palm Beach

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by mike garone, Feb 16, 2009.

1. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

Well instead on going to South Carolina I will be going to West Palm Beach. I know Florida has some great fishing, but I know basically nothing about it. What is available in March? Do they have jacks and stuff in the Canals? What about offshore?

2. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

March is something of a transition time, depending on when you go. You're still gonna see the cold fronts bringing on the sailfish bite. But the AJs and big hammerheads start to go off as well. As far as West Palm goes, you might want to get in some kite fishing for sailfish, especially after a good front has come through. Also, if you get a calm day, try swordfishing at night. The calmer days are fewer but it's worth it cuz the fish are typically bigger in late winter, early spring.

Inshore there are several piers worth trying out. Juno pier will hold BIG jacks and snook. Also don't be surprised when the big spanish mackeral and outsized bluefish show up. Pompano area also on the menu if you can stand the hours of boredom watching your rods baited with sandfleas.

Early spring also means big largemouth bass should be starting to spawn. I'm not much of a bass fisherman, but late winter and early spring can be very good.

I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale. My favorite time to fish is early spring and October & November. You're going down at a good time.