another spooling question Avet jx

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by mike garone, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

How much 65# spectra will an avet jx hold. Planning on using this reel for tilefishing and jigging tuna on a 3 day tuna trip on the viking and Idk if the reel has enough capacity for the bottom fishing. It is suggested that we have at least 500 yards of line on the reel for tilefishing. If this one doesnt have enough capacity I will just use my 4/0 w

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

go to the avet website and see what the capacities are then go to the spectra of your choice website and see the diameter and compare with reel capacity.

3. gmack

gmack Senior Member

I got rid of my JX, but I'm pretty sure it was 300 yars of 65# that mine held.

Gary

4. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

SWAG =
    reel holds 270 yd of 35 mono
    Braid is 1/3 rd dia or less of mono.
    So Lx holds alot of 65 lb braid .
    around 500yd of 65
    I would think so.

I got one with 350 yd 65 Izore braid and 100 yd 60 izore mono top shot.

Or at least that was what my bill was for :)

K2

5. shanker

shanker Senior Member

I got rid of my JX, but I'm pretty sure it was 300 yars of 65# that mine held.

Gary

Mine only held 300 yards of 65lb Momoi Braid.

6. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Ditto other comments... 300yds of 65lb Power Pro and ~60-80yds of 60lb mono.

What about 50lb? These reels show significant cranking resistance above ~15-18lbs. (Some are better than others. Mine is tolerable up to ~17lbs.) So 50lbs might be a good match all around if the additional line is needed.

Jason

7. shanker

shanker Senior Member

I wouldnt want to bottom fish with a JX either...

8. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Let me rephrase that, I wouldnt want to bottom fish in more than 300 ft of water with a JX

9. jureal

jureal Senior Member

You have to consider drift and currents too. When the line scopes out, you need a lot more line to reach a 300ft bottom. Regardless, when that spool gets down, it takes a lot of winding to bring the line back as your retrieve line per crank goes way down. Better to get a reel with a lot more capacity.