360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stella 2020 or Saltiga 2020 ???

Keep in mind I am the biggest Stella fan, since the 2001 model and had tried the 2010 and 2015 model Saltiga but really don't like it. This year model of Saltiga is so much better than the 2020 Stella! Yes, I know this will make a few Stella's fan butt hurt but it's the truth. Yes, I do have both and have fish them both heavily and they are both still fine but just the feel of the Saltiga is just tougher and smoother. I have landed 30+ fish weighing over 40kg on both reel with a few fish in 60-70kg range.

Saltiga Pro:

Monocoque: a lot of people saying that it's hard to service this reel, well you are wrong, the monocoque itself makes it really easy to service, you open the monocoque and that's all you have to do to grease your reel, there is no need to go through the Magseal to do this step and yes I have done both.

Interchangeable spool: 8000-14000 is all interchangeable unlike Stella (will post below).

Magseal: pro and con for this one, pro is that it's a very good seal for saltwater but it's impossible to get if you want to service yourself. Keep in mind, for the Magseal oil, you would only need to service it if your feel fall into the water otherwise this part will not be a problem at all.

Back up Dog: still there and not that we need it but it's a peace of mind for sure.

Saltiga Con:

Color: not sure if they solve the problem with the color of the reel, after sometime it goes bad, we all know. But the material does seems different for this model so hopefully they solved this issue.

Magseal: impossible to get.

Parts: near impossible to get, only through authorize dealer only.

Stella Pro:

Maintenance: Part is easy to get (for me anyways), everything is easy to maintain and I can do this on all of my trip.

Not much pro for me!

Stella con:

Gear: There is a main gear issue going on now with the new Stella, there has been a few NIB reel that get use once and the gear become grindy.

Back up Dog: for the 8000-14000, there is no more, so does that mean the anti reverse is so good? or...... I will leave this for you guys to decide.

Spool not interchangeable: 8000 has a smaller rotor now so anything bigger than 8000 doesnt fit on the body. I personally hate XG so back in the days I used to get 8000HG and get 14000XG spool but now I have to buy the 14000XG and buy 4 parts to get the ratio change.
-------------------------------------------------

At the end of the day, it is totally up to the owner to decide, I didnt want to get a Saltiga because I cant service it myself, well until last week I cant, now I can get all the parts so it was a much easier decision for me to get Saltiga. Another thing that I find that Daiwa did well this year was the clearance/play on the reel, honestly, for this Saltiga, there seems to be almost no play if there is any at all, comparing to Stella that still have rooms in Pinion gear and main gear that can adjust (which I did and it makes a huge different).

Til then it's Saltiga for me but as a biggest fan, I cannot wait to see what Shimano will come up with in 5 years time, I am sure Shimano will be putting everything on the table for the next model, this is going to be fun!

Tight lines gents!

G'day!

What are the four parts needed to change the ratio of a Stella 14000XG to that of an HG?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure whats up with the all the negative reviews on the Stella SW. I have two 18k's and ive caught several yft 50kg and up on both without a hiccup. Saltiga does seem nice but i just love the bail feel and the knob on the Stella. To each their own! I dont think you can wrong with either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
CERTATE/ TWP sw would also be a good option.....and both have 10k hg.

I have a Daiwa 5000saltiga and I wanna upgrade the spool for more line capacity is it worth getting another spool or just getting the 2020 Saltiga 8000h ??
Have you changed?...no!,old 5k is like 10k (or 5500=14k).If you think you have little line, you should go up to heavy 30oz.
G'day!

What are the four parts needed to change the ratio of a Stella 14000XG to that of an HG?

Thank you in advance!
don't you show up?!.It doesn't seem like 4 pieces is enough....just to make it cheaper get st ´13 (2) or saltiga 10k h.

....Man, size 18k is a bit of abuse for only 50kg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
By A.H.: Daiwa reels that have MAG-sealed bearings at the handle's openings:
"After each use in saltwater, unscrew the handle and remove the cap from the opposite side, then let a gentle stream of freshwater enter each opening to rinse any salty deposits off the mag-sealed bearings inside these openings. Do two or three rinses for each side..."
IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not oil the line roller if it's a mag-sealed roller. Oils and other substances will break down the magnetic fluid......Do you put all this in the box?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ill add an update as I have commented on this thread in the past. I now use stellas, twin powers, & saltigas. No issues with any of them. The Stella has proven itself in my local area as guys have landed 108+” fish on the 18k w no issues. I find the stellas a bit easier to use when jigging - on the Saltigas, when I flip the bail closed to begins retrieving line, the momentum of the jig and line coming off the spool flips the bail back open. Nothing major. I’ll also add the PG of the 10k Stella is not offered in the 10k saltiga (hg). I must’ve picked up a “clunky” Stella back then because the few I own feel noticeably better than my past experience w one in the store. With that being said, the Saltiga is still a brick shithouse. Can’t go wrong with either IMO. Lamborghini vs Ferrari

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with the bail "issue" with the Daiwa's. They tend to flip back close especially with heavier line under tension. Magseal doesnt do sh%t imo. Being said, i love my noisy lil Saltiga.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts