360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Stella 2020 or Saltiga 2020 ???

Keep in mind I am the biggest Stella fan, since the 2001 model and had tried the 2010 and 2015 model Saltiga but really don't like it. This year model of Saltiga is so much better than the 2020 Stella! Yes, I know this will make a few Stella's fan butt hurt but it's the truth. Yes, I do have both and have fish them both heavily and they are both still fine but just the feel of the Saltiga is just tougher and smoother. I have landed 30+ fish weighing over 40kg on both reel with a few fish in 60-70kg range.

Saltiga Pro:

Monocoque: a lot of people saying that it's hard to service this reel, well you are wrong, the monocoque itself makes it really easy to service, you open the monocoque and that's all you have to do to grease your reel, there is no need to go through the Magseal to do this step and yes I have done both.

Interchangeable spool: 8000-14000 is all interchangeable unlike Stella (will post below).

Magseal: pro and con for this one, pro is that it's a very good seal for saltwater but it's impossible to get if you want to service yourself. Keep in mind, for the Magseal oil, you would only need to service it if your feel fall into the water otherwise this part will not be a problem at all.

Back up Dog: still there and not that we need it but it's a peace of mind for sure.

Saltiga Con:

Color: not sure if they solve the problem with the color of the reel, after sometime it goes bad, we all know. But the material does seems different for this model so hopefully they solved this issue.

Magseal: impossible to get.

Parts: near impossible to get, only through authorize dealer only.

Stella Pro:

Maintenance: Part is easy to get (for me anyways), everything is easy to maintain and I can do this on all of my trip.

Not much pro for me!

Stella con:

Gear: There is a main gear issue going on now with the new Stella, there has been a few NIB reel that get use once and the gear become grindy.

Back up Dog: for the 8000-14000, there is no more, so does that mean the anti reverse is so good? or...... I will leave this for you guys to decide.

Spool not interchangeable: 8000 has a smaller rotor now so anything bigger than 8000 doesnt fit on the body. I personally hate XG so back in the days I used to get 8000HG and get 14000XG spool but now I have to buy the 14000XG and buy 4 parts to get the ratio change.
-------------------------------------------------

At the end of the day, it is totally up to the owner to decide, I didnt want to get a Saltiga because I cant service it myself, well until last week I cant, now I can get all the parts so it was a much easier decision for me to get Saltiga. Another thing that I find that Daiwa did well this year was the clearance/play on the reel, honestly, for this Saltiga, there seems to be almost no play if there is any at all, comparing to Stella that still have rooms in Pinion gear and main gear that can adjust (which I did and it makes a huge different).

Til then it's Saltiga for me but as a biggest fan, I cannot wait to see what Shimano will come up with in 5 years time, I am sure Shimano will be putting everything on the table for the next model, this is going to be fun!

Tight lines gents!
great review!!

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,793 Posts
Topper,what size Saltiga do you use 14000 ? and when you have fish on
What reel feels better,great read.
I know you have only couple reels but I have to ask:p
I have the 10000H, like I said in my post I love the 5.7 ratio and not the 6.2 so I always get the H ratio.

When I have fish on, the Saltiga feels better imo, it is much smoother and tighter.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have the 10000H, like I said in my post I love the 5.7 ratio and not the 6.2 so I always get the H ratio.

When I have fish on, the Saltiga feels better imo, it is much smoother and tighter.
Thank You Bud , I will get 14000H than,great information from "Tackle Ho"
No need to check anymore.
I thought the H was the high gear

·
Registered
127 Posts
I read and read forums and reviews on both trying to make a decision. Went into a tackle store & handled both. The saltiga was smooth as butter & felt bombproof. The Stella was clanking (gear lash) as I rotated the handle and felt somewhat cheap. To be honest, My twin power felt better. Shimano has better service but even the guys in the store agreed- they seem to be constantly lowering their quality in the stellas. I’m a shimano guy but the Saltiga felt superior enough that l bought it without hesitation- hence the longer and pricier service. 18000H for Northeast BFT / YFT and it’s a beast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with camwalsh. I put a hurting on my gosa 10k a few weeks ago with a 63” bluefin and a 2hr fight. That made me look in saltiga and stella. After playing with both, the saltiga just felt like a $1,000 reel when the stella just felt cheaper. I wound up getting the 14000xh. Cant wait to put it to good use

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't mean to bump this thread- just adding something for a prospective buyer.

it appears the service may not be an issue under normal circumstances.

just stumbled across this on Daiwa'a website:

"
FREE 5 Year Clean and Service for original owner with proof of purchase

o Reels being cleaned and serviced will be shipped back in a special Saltiga signature bag within 1 Business Day upon arrival to our Daiwa Service Department

o FREE expedited return shipping (2nd Day Air or Priority Mail)

o If the damage is determined to be excessive upon inspection, (missing parts, accidental damage, misuse, inadequate care) we will contact you with a price estimate before starting any work."

·
Registered
127 Posts
Stella & Saltiga 14000 are both XG models, as the high gear ratio is ideal for top water applications such as popping. For jigging, a lower gear ratio (PG / HG) is more ideal. Shimano does make a 14000 PG JDM version which would be good for jigging, but I don’t believe they will service JDM reels in the US. I find the HG models are good for both casting and jigging. What size fish are you targeting?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The target species is GOM YFT. I saw that the new Saltiga ha P, and H version. Do you think the H or P version is better for fighting the big fish?
A lower gear ratio is typically easier to reel once the fish is hooked. Are you casting poppers/ stickbaits to fish , jigging, or both? What's the average size of fish you see?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
An update from my experience.

I have a Stella Swb 18000 and a swc 14000.

my 18000 hasn’t caught many fish yet but after a single landed GT, a lost GT (due to drag going soft) and a shark. It seems the gearing has broken. Handle winds but rotor doesn’t turn, drag is lucky to get to 10kg even with knob fully tight and also a weird squeaking in the handle. Not really impressed. I know not the new model but the older models are said to be stronger.

my swc 14000 is so far so good but hasn’t really been tested with big fish. Drag is way stronger than the 18000 swb. Reel does feel smoother. It has been promoted to my heavy gt reel now that the 18000 needs to be fixed.

I’m toying on the idea of getting another heavy gt outfit soon as I don’t want trips ruined when gear breaks. Have there been any reports of gear breakages yet in the new saltigas?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts