Another Saltiga vs Stella thread.

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Nagrom, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Joda

Joda Well-Known Member

great review!!

tugasangler likes this.
  2. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Topper,what size Saltiga do you use 14000 ? and when you have fish on
    What reel feels better,great read.
    I know you have only couple reels but I have to ask:p

3. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

I have the 10000H, like I said in my post I love the 5.7 ratio and not the 6.2 so I always get the H ratio.

When I have fish on, the Saltiga feels better imo, it is much smoother and tighter.

tugasangler likes this.
  4. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Thank You Bud , I will get 14000H than,great information from "Tackle Ho"
    No need to check anymore.

5. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

I thought the H was the high gear

6. Joda

Joda Well-Known Member

didn’t know they make 14000H? Just XH. That would be good.

7. toppuntawong

No, XH stands for XtraHigh and its 6.2 while H stands for High and ratio of 5.7.

14000 only comes in XH, I have the 10000H with 14000 Spool.

Joda and tugasangler like this.
  8. toppuntawong

Just real time info from me, I really enjoy this reel, as much as I love Stella, I would never thought I would say it but Saltiga is better for sure for this year anyways.

semipro likes this.
  9. Joda

Joda Well-Known Member

That is a good idea, I have the 14xh and I want just a tad slower for more torque, the 10k is a good idea to swap.

10. camwalsh7

camwalsh7 Active Member

I read and read forums and reviews on both trying to make a decision. Went into a tackle store & handled both. The saltiga was smooth as butter & felt bombproof. The Stella was clanking (gear lash) as I rotated the handle and felt somewhat cheap. To be honest, My twin power felt better. Shimano has better service but even the guys in the store agreed- they seem to be constantly lowering their quality in the stellas. I’m a shimano guy but the Saltiga felt superior enough that l bought it without hesitation- hence the longer and pricier service. 18000H for Northeast BFT / YFT and it’s a beast.

InshoreSlayer84 likes this.
  11. schred86

schred86 New Member

I agree with camwalsh. I put a hurting on my gosa 10k a few weeks ago with a 63” bluefin and a 2hr fight. That made me look in saltiga and stella. After playing with both, the saltiga just felt like a $1,000 reel when the stella just felt cheaper. I wound up getting the 14000xh. Cant wait to put it to good use

12. camwalsh7

camwalsh7 Active Member

Don’t mean to bump this thread- just adding something for a prospective buyer.

it appears the service may not be an issue under normal circumstances.

just stumbled across this on Daiwa’a website:

FREE 5 Year Clean and Service for original owner with proof of purchase

o Reels being cleaned and serviced will be shipped back in a special Saltiga signature bag within 1 Business Day upon arrival to our Daiwa Service Department

o FREE expedited return shipping (2nd Day Air or Priority Mail)

o If the damage is determined to be excessive upon inspection, (missing parts, accidental damage, misuse, inadequate care) we will contact you with a price estimate before starting any work.”

13. turbohardtop

turbohardtop Active Member

Thoughts between the 14000P and the 14000H? Is the P too slow? I imagine it is better for fighting the bigger fish.

14. camwalsh7

camwalsh7 Active Member

Stella & Saltiga 14000 are both XG models, as the high gear ratio is ideal for top water applications such as popping. For jigging, a lower gear ratio (PG / HG) is more ideal. Shimano does make a 14000 PG JDM version which would be good for jigging, but I don’t believe they will service JDM reels in the US. I find the HG models are good for both casting and jigging. What size fish are you targeting?

15. turbohardtop

The target species is GOM YFT. I saw that the new Saltiga ha P, and H version. Do you think the H or P version is better for fighting the big fish?

16. camwalsh7

camwalsh7 Active Member

A lower gear ratio is typically easier to reel once the fish is hooked. Are you casting poppers/ stickbaits to fish , jigging, or both? What’s the average size of fish you see?

17. turbohardtop

Mostly to throw Halco 130. Average fish is around 60 with occasional 100+lbs.

18. camwalsh7

camwalsh7 Active Member

I’d personally go with a 14000XG for the faster retrieve. if you are more comfortable with the HG ratio, the 1000HG saltiga or the 8000HG Stella would work as well.

19. Nagrom

Nagrom Active Member

An update from my experience.

I have a Stella Swb 18000 and a swc 14000.

my 18000 hasn’t caught many fish yet but after a single landed GT, a lost GT (due to drag going soft) and a shark. It seems the gearing has broken. Handle winds but rotor doesn’t turn, drag is lucky to get to 10kg even with knob fully tight and also a weird squeaking in the handle. Not really impressed. I know not the new model but the older models are said to be stronger.

my swc 14000 is so far so good but hasn’t really been tested with big fish. Drag is way stronger than the 18000 swb. Reel does feel smoother. It has been promoted to my heavy gt reel now that the 18000 needs to be fixed.

I’m toying on the idea of getting another heavy gt outfit soon as I don’t want trips ruined when gear breaks. Have there been any reports of gear breakages yet in the new saltigas?