Another Saltiga vs Stella thread.

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Nagrom, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Nagrom

Nagrom Member

What is the early consensus? Which of the new reels seems better? I have no loyalties either way.

While I haven’t played with either new model yet on the new specs it seems potentially the Saltiga is better but here in Aus the shimano service is second to none. Can get reels serviced and back to you in under a week of sending them out. So that is hard to pass up even if the reel isnt quite as good.

What are other people’s thoughts?

2. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

I don't own neither of the new models. But I'll volunteer to be the one. Gentlemen, send me your new model stellas and saltigas. I'll exclusively fish it for a year and after that, I'll tell you which is the best without bias. Deal?

3. Nagrom

Nagrom Member

Yeah, ok. We would all do that.

4. John Greschuk

John Greschuk Active Member

do a lot of tuna fishing and the captains say both are fine reels but the stella is number one

lite-liner likes this.
  5. BADASSCHINITO

BADASSCHINITO Member

I have the 2015 Saltiga Dogfight, haven't fished a stella so cant compare first hand but can tell you the dogfight is BUILT LIKE A TANK. Im usually a shimano guy but it just seems like the Stella and TP are slightly more delicate (and probably smoother)

6. Joda

Joda Well-Known Member

Any updates on this?

Really debating between the 2 for 14000XG.
    I live in so cal so both Daiwa and shimano are here, just not sure what Daiwa charges to service.

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

thought Shimano closed down Irvine service center and moved it to South Carolina?

If Daiwa is still using that weird high-$$ magnetic oil, that alone would drive me to Shimano. Proprietary tech equals way more $$. necessary? your call.
    I have a few stellas, including an 8000FA that still kicks tuna ass almost 20 yrs later.....
    my honest opinion- save some dough, buy a used 1st-gen SW model, send it to shimano for platinum service (50 bucks)
    and rock. Just like the "old" Stellas, LoL...

Kenzta and iyaman like this.
  8. Joda

Joda Well-Known Member

I thought they just closed due to covid19... dang gotta double check that.

If sticking with Stella, is the Swc worth it since we might be able to get SWB at good discount right now?

9. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

I think I have a picture of your FA stella somewhere in one of most epic tuna trip i ever had. One last drift...

lite-liner likes this.
  10. Nagrom

Nagrom Member

I haven’t been able to find the Swb stellas at any decent discount to the new ones yet.

tugasangler likes this.
  11. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

gotta take your time. They’re around . Found a 8k swb like new for 650 on here last year sometime. Just be patient and have the money available

12. Joda

Joda Well-Known Member

Just visuals

InshoreSlayer84 likes this.
  13. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

I think the new saltiga will do very well in the current market, especially without a serious contender. The new gearing and body design is a huge bonus for guys chasing big fish on spinning gear. Also I’m glad they started to standardize sizes on their new line. This will make it easier for new guys to get a better idea of the reel’s size. There are already reports of the reel working very smoothly and without problems. I saw quite a few of the new 2019 stellas for sale on the forum plus if you read Alan Hawks review of the reel you will get the feeling you are overpaying for a Stella SWC. Guys on the budget might want to look at the new 2020 Saragossa

14. jorge

jorge New Member

SALTIGA 2020 with backup anti-reverse?
    I don't know where you see a (noticeable)difference from the exp5500, ...yes, this 2020 has more washers, the DRAG SOUNDS better and it casting maybe +10%....We will have to see that aluminum gear with 200-400hours.
    I copy and paste 3March: STELLA SWC not integral clutch housing and the backup anti-reverse is gone!, except the big ones.....but it also has other improvements.
    To keep in mind that xg 14k the handle +5mm= +6.3%. Makes it slower but more torque (mimics the exp5500)....SALTIGA 2020 take note and copy stella 2019: +5mm, xg 6.2 ratio......even nº sizes and color!.
    By A.H. stella SWC 14k 20july: ´I just expect more than "a bit better than a Saragosa" when I buy a Stella`.

tugasangler likes this.
  15. Kenzta

Kenzta Active Member

I agreed, take your time, and waiting for the right time. Most of them will be surfaced in the fall when the fishing season is done in the Northeast.