360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the early consensus? Which of the new reels seems better? I have no loyalties either way.

While I haven’t played with either new model yet on the new specs it seems potentially the Saltiga is better but here in Aus the shimano service is second to none. Can get reels serviced and back to you in under a week of sending them out. So that is hard to pass up even if the reel isnt quite as good.

What are other people’s thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the 2015 Saltiga Dogfight, haven't fished a stella so cant compare first hand but can tell you the dogfight is BUILT LIKE A TANK. Im usually a shimano guy but it just seems like the Stella and TP are slightly more delicate (and probably smoother)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Any updates on this?

Really debating between the 2 for 14000XG.
I live in so cal so both Daiwa and shimano are here, just not sure what Daiwa charges to service.

·
Super Moderator
6,458 Posts
thought Shimano closed down Irvine service center and moved it to South Carolina?

If Daiwa is still using that weird high-$$ magnetic oil, that alone would drive me to Shimano. Proprietary tech equals way more $$. necessary? your call.
I have a few stellas, including an 8000FA that still kicks tuna ass almost 20 yrs later.....
my honest opinion- save some dough, buy a used 1st-gen SW model, send it to shimano for platinum service (50 bucks)
and rock. Just like the "old" Stellas, LoL...

·
Registered
122 Posts
thought Shimano closed down Irvine service center and moved it to South Carolina?

If Daiwa is still using that weird high-$$ magnetic oil, that alone would drive me to Shimano. Proprietary tech equals way more $$. necessary? your call.
I have a few stellas, including an 8000FA that still kicks tuna ass almost 20 yrs later.....
my honest opinion- save some dough, buy a used 1st-gen SW model, send it to shimano for platinum service (50 bucks)
I thought they just closed due to covid19... dang gotta double check that.

If sticking with Stella, is the Swc worth it since we might be able to get SWB at good discount right now?

·
1,006 Posts

I think I have a picture of your FA stella somewhere in one of most epic tuna trip i ever had. One last drift...

·
Banned
404 Posts
I think the new saltiga will do very well in the current market, especially without a serious contender. The new gearing and body design is a huge bonus for guys chasing big fish on spinning gear. Also I’m glad they started to standardize sizes on their new line. This will make it easier for new guys to get a better idea of the reel’s size. There are already reports of the reel working very smoothly and without problems. I saw quite a few of the new 2019 stellas for sale on the forum plus if you read Alan Hawks review of the reel you will get the feeling you are overpaying for a Stella SWC. Guys on the budget might want to look at the new 2020 Saragossa

·
Registered
19 Posts
SALTIGA 2020 with backup anti-reverse?
I don't know where you see a (noticeable)difference from the exp5500, ...yes, this 2020 has more washers, the DRAG SOUNDS better and it casting maybe +10%....We will have to see that aluminum gear with 200-400hours.
I copy and paste 3March: STELLA SWC not integral clutch housing and the backup anti-reverse is gone!, except the big ones.....but it also has other improvements.
To keep in mind that xg 14k the handle +5mm= +6.3%. Makes it slower but more torque (mimics the exp5500)....SALTIGA 2020 take note and copy stella 2019: +5mm, xg 6.2 ratio......even nº sizes and color!.
By A.H. stella SWC 14k 20july: ´I just expect more than "a bit better than a Saragosa" when I buy a Stella`.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I now have a Stella swc 14000 and a swb 20000.

haven’t had a chance to put the 14000 under heavy pressure due to all the corona virus restrictions but the drain holes in the rotor of the 14000 are a good idea.

Killed a Saragosa from water I didn’t know about sitting in the rotor.

·
Banned
404 Posts
I had a chance to play a little with the new 20k Saltiga in a store, looks built like a tank and was pleased by how it felt. Definitely looks bigger and beefier( more robust) than my older 20k Stella SW. I never experienced any trouble with the Stella but also never caught anything that would really put it to the test.
For the guys on a budget I would really wait and look at the new Gosa 2020. Looks like it will have some upgrades and added sizes plus it looks a lot nicer than the older “boxy “ look of the older one ( personal preference). I will buy a 5k or a 6 k for inshore purposes

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,793 Posts
Stella 2020 or Saltiga 2020 ???

Keep in mind I am the biggest Stella fan, since the 2001 model and had tried the 2010 and 2015 model Saltiga but really don't like it. This year model of Saltiga is so much better than the 2020 Stella! Yes, I know this will make a few Stella's fan butt hurt but it's the truth. Yes, I do have both and have fish them both heavily and they are both still fine but just the feel of the Saltiga is just tougher and smoother. I have landed 30+ fish weighing over 40kg on both reel with a few fish in 60-70kg range.

Saltiga Pro:

Monocoque: a lot of people saying that it's hard to service this reel, well you are wrong, the monocoque itself makes it really easy to service, you open the monocoque and that's all you have to do to grease your reel, there is no need to go through the Magseal to do this step and yes I have done both.

Interchangeable spool: 8000-14000 is all interchangeable unlike Stella (will post below).

Magseal: pro and con for this one, pro is that it's a very good seal for saltwater but it's impossible to get if you want to service yourself. Keep in mind, for the Magseal oil, you would only need to service it if your feel fall into the water otherwise this part will not be a problem at all.

Back up Dog: still there and not that we need it but it's a peace of mind for sure.

Saltiga Con:

Color: not sure if they solve the problem with the color of the reel, after sometime it goes bad, we all know. But the material does seems different for this model so hopefully they solved this issue.

Magseal: impossible to get.

Parts: near impossible to get, only through authorize dealer only.

Stella Pro:

Maintenance: Part is easy to get (for me anyways), everything is easy to maintain and I can do this on all of my trip.

Not much pro for me!

Stella con:

Gear: There is a main gear issue going on now with the new Stella, there has been a few NIB reel that get use once and the gear become grindy.

Back up Dog: for the 8000-14000, there is no more, so does that mean the anti reverse is so good? or...... I will leave this for you guys to decide.

Spool not interchangeable: 8000 has a smaller rotor now so anything bigger than 8000 doesnt fit on the body. I personally hate XG so back in the days I used to get 8000HG and get 14000XG spool but now I have to buy the 14000XG and buy 4 parts to get the ratio change.
-------------------------------------------------

At the end of the day, it is totally up to the owner to decide, I didnt want to get a Saltiga because I cant service it myself, well until last week I cant, now I can get all the parts so it was a much easier decision for me to get Saltiga. Another thing that I find that Daiwa did well this year was the clearance/play on the reel, honestly, for this Saltiga, there seems to be almost no play if there is any at all, comparing to Stella that still have rooms in Pinion gear and main gear that can adjust (which I did and it makes a huge different).

Til then it's Saltiga for me but as a biggest fan, I cannot wait to see what Shimano will come up with in 5 years time, I am sure Shimano will be putting everything on the table for the next model, this is going to be fun!

Tight lines gents!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts