Another question about PR knot

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by tunatuna, Feb 9, 2009.

1. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

PR KNOT

I was practicing the pr knot following above tutorial, somehow i got to a point that i get confused..

now reverse the direction and spin tight close wraps. Allow the tip of the holder to contact the leader, this ensures tight wraps. If the line comes out too freely, the tip will not contact the leader as there is not enough tension. Add more tension with another 1 or 2 turns around the bobbin arm. You are wrapping back towards the leader tag end.

how do you reverse the direction?? once you did 10-12 turns of spiral wrap away from the PE line, i was only be able to sping wrap back toward the PE..:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

pinch the line and wrap back over itself. that took me the longest to get also.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

freddy can tie a PR knot in 30 secs in 6-8 fters with a 100qt cooler between his legs leaning againts a microwave. lol

4. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

after 10-12 spiral wraps away from the PE toward the leader, next step is tight spin wraps back toward the PE. CORRECT???

5. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

pinch the line and wrap back over itself. that took me the longest to get also.

actually that was the easiest part....i had a hard time with the half hitches to close it up.....

6. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

On the next trip, I'm quit tying Page Ranking knot for everybody ;)

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

hahaha. i took the time to learn it now.

8. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

So that's why all your friends like the P.R. knot ... ;)

Seriously, I would appreciate your thoughts on why you prefer the P.R. knot over the Mid knot, if that is the case. I'm trying to decide which to concentrate on for this spring fishing. Thank you.

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

So that's why all your friends like the P.R. knot ... ;)

Seriously, I would appreciate your thoughts on why you prefer the P.R. knot over the Mid knot, if that is the case. I'm trying to decide which to concentrate on for this spring fishing. Thank you.

There essentially the same knot with the exception on how you prevent the braid from unraveling its self at the end. The way I tie mine is like a combination of both but looks more like a serve on a wind on.

d-a

10. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

There essentially the same knot with the exception on how you prevent the braid from unraveling its self at the end. The way I tie mine is like a combination of both but looks more like a serve on a wind on.

d-a

I would appreciate it if you could explain how you tie yours (and also whether you melt the mono/fluoro).

11. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I would appreciate it if you could explain how you tie yours (and also whether you melt the mono/fluoro).

I do melt the mono sometimes, but its not necessary. I finish my knot off like a Bimini twist, I dont have any half hitches. I make sure my tag end has 7+ wraps over it.

d-a

12. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I like the looks of the one Freddy linked... All of the alternating half-hitches are the slowest and most PITA part of the whole PR knot IMO. Curious to see how it holds up, gets through the guides, etc. Has anyone tried it yet?

13. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I like the looks of the one Freddy linked... All of the alternating half-hitches are the slowest and most PITA part of the whole Page Ranking knot IMO. Curious to see how it holds up, gets through the guides, etc. Has anyone tried it yet?

Jason

That's the way I tie mine, I just looked at the video Freddy posted (ichibahn). I dont make as long as knot either, but i test each one before use(another reason to have jigging/popping gloves)

d-a

14. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

In the video that Freddy posted, What is the point in making the uni knot and then wrapping the loop over the mono multiple times. I couldnt quite make out what it was doing.

15. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

TJ showed me how to tie the knot but he does it a little different, with the half hitches. The knot is great for casting and has been a very sturdy knot. I will continue to use the knot as it has never failed once. BTW, is there a way to purchase the video from Utube?

16. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I tie it just like the guy in the vid and have had no problems. The uni with several wraps is easy. When you start unwrapping it on the far end, it is still wrapping on the knot side. When you unwrap it completely, you just pull the tag up. If you see it once you'll slap your forehead.

Fred

17. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I tie it just like the guy in the vid and have had no problems. The uni with several wraps is easy. When you start unwrapping it on the far end, it is still wrapping on the knot side. When you unwrap it completely, you just pull the tag up. If you see it once you'll slap your forehead.

Fred
    Ok oK that makes more sense now. I'll have to give it a shot when I get home. I like the P.R. knot. I really hate the half hitches though. Its just the way I have learned to tie it.
    Thanks for the info.

18. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Bring a box of Australian made windon leaders and when they ask you to tie one on for them, hand them one and ask for $20 :)

By the end of the day you can pay for your trip.

19. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... i still don't get that reverse direction step..:(

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

its not bad......if you can watch someone its pretty easy. just don't talk to much while you're alternating half hitches or you get confused :p

21. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Like Brian mentioned.... To reverse the direction of the wraps, just pinch the last tight forward wrap and the leader with one hand and use the other hand to take the bobbin and manually start the braid wrapping back down on top of itself. (always keeping tension on the braid) Then after you get it to start wrapping 1/2-1 turn just spin the rest of the way down, it will naturally stay in line at that point.

For me it's impossible to get it to reverse without manually forcing it over like this. Some (like Freddy) can just look at it, or maybe put a little different pressure, or use some body language and it spins right back down... but you just need to wrestle with this part a little, it will work. ;)

It definitely helps to watch first-hand. But what I like is that it really is a simple knot to tie and remember after just a little practice. (both are important to me with months sometimes passing between trips)

Later!
    Jason