Another good bluefin jigging trip

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jul 18, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I know it is tough to go tuna jigging three times within a week, but You got to go when they are hot. :)
    We had another excellent tuna jigging out of Cape Cod, NJ yesterday.
    Weather was beatiful as you see in the pictures below. 19 Fathom has been hot, but we decided to go to Hambone as we felt 19 could be very crowded and we had confidence we could find some tuna at Hambone or Hot Dog. When we arrived at Hambone around 6:00 am, we could see only one boat working there. @( Later on several boats arrived, but they were mostly trolling.
    We went the area where we had good bites last week, but we rarely see any marks of bait or tuna. While we were searching around, we found a area loaded with baits near the bottom. Though we didn't tuna marks much, we decided to drift the area and it paid off.
    We didn't use any bait at all and all four of us used jigs. This was a great opportunity as I could observe the results of different jigs.
    We used diamond jigs, Hot's Drift Tune jigs, Shimano's Flat-side, Raider jig and four differnt kinds of metallic sardine jigs. All worked. Guess what was the best jigs on trip.
    All are proven tuna killers and each jig has its momentum, but plain regular (not hammered) diamond jigs ruled yesterday. :)

We even experimented a circle hook on the dimond jig as we were in releasing mood andthe circle hooks on jigs worked as good as regular hooks !!! I now became a believer of a circle hook for tuna jigging.

Paul of Anglers Proshop fighting a tuna with Smith AMJ 52EX rod.
    [​IMG]

and his first ever bluefin on a jig (Hot's Drift Tune)
    [​IMG]

Double hook-ups
    [​IMG]

circle worked.
    [​IMG]

110 lbs bluefin. We released bigger ones later.
    [​IMG]

my new style of fighing tuna. :) I was using Stella 20000 and Shimano's 5' Jigwreck rod.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

That must be a real hardship having to jig for tuna three times in one week.:D

Look's like you did well Kil.

3. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Kil, congrats! You did mean Cape May, right? Bret and I will be there beginning of Aug. Hope it holds up! :)

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

how did you like the jigwreck rod?

great trip, were you working the diamond jig like a high speed jig or bouncing it?

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I'll tell you, that Kilsong gets to fish more than any man on earth.:)

Were all very jealous. What a life. Congratulations on another successful fishing trip.

This is a little funny. I talked to Paul last week over the phone. When you talk over the phone with someone you haven't met, you draw a little picture of them in your mind of what you think they look like. If you would have showed me ten different people in a line up, I would not have picked out the real Paul. Not even close to what I pictured. I pictured him as being a Tall heavy set German. For some reason it sounded to me like he had a German accent. Maybe I should clean the wax out of my ears.:D

Anyway, congratulations to Paul for catching his first blue fin on a jig. I'm sure he was thrilled.

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kil: I can't see the pictures here at work. Were you using the circles at the bottom with a split ring or on assist cords? Also, you get us all to buying hammered diamond jigs, then you catch them on slick ones. WTF?????:)

MrBill: I know what you mean about how you picture someone then get surprised when you see them in person. For example, I had Tom (DBG) pictured as someone about 6-8 who could personally tear your arm off arm-wresting. Now don't get me wrong--he might be able to, but he looks a lot calmer and somewhat less than 6-8. :D I had seen a picture of Rick (McGolfer) but he still surprised me. I had a picture of him on this board as not having much of a sense of humor--he does but it's dry--not like all the horse$shit I spew out. I knew T.J. was a perfect gentleman but didn't realize how much of one until we met in person.

I thought Jerry (Snagged) was about 6-2, incredibly handsome, dressed in tuxes and $3,000.00 Italian pointed shoes, had thousand-dollar haircuts, and smoked little cigars in long, herringbone lighters while looking at modern art and sipping vintage wine.

I was wrong.

Russ

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I'd be interested to hear what you think I look like.:)

8. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Congrats Paul on first bf.

Kil sitting down? What's next .....recliner?:D :D

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Kil sitting down? What's next .....recliner?:D :D

Don't be surprised if he re-invents the Low Boy Recliner into a fishing chair in his golden years.:D Kil is very innovated in his fishing styles. I think he could figure out how to jig standing on his head.:)

Attached Files:

10. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Russ,
    At least you had the looks correct for me.:D

11. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

UR: It looks like the circle hook was attached directly to the diamond jig via Swivel.

Awesome trip Kil!

12. sjohn464

sjohn464 Guest

I'd be interested to hear what you think I look like.:)

MrBill,

You mean that isn't a picture of you in your avatar???

my guess--- 6'2" 218 lbs grey hair

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

how did you like the jigwreck rod?

great trip, were you working the diamond jig like a high speed jig or bouncing it?
    I am more comfortable to use jigwreck rod for fighting big tuna than Hot's 4'8" Wei World. :)

During the first two trips, I mostly experimented with Japanese style jigging and noticed that Japanese style jigging was far more effective.
    However on the third trip(yesterday), it was completely opposite.
    We had only one tuna with Japanese style jigging out of about 22 hook-ups. I have no clue as they feed on same baits( sandeels) near the bottom for all three trips. The only difference was water temp went to 76 degree yesterday.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil: I can't see the pictures here at work. Were you using the circles at the bottom with a split ring or on assist cords? Also, you get us all to buying hammered diamond jigs, then you catch them on slick ones. WTF?????:)
    Russ
    Russ,
    at the bottom with a split ring.
    I experimented mostly with four different kinds of metallic sardine jigs while others used diamond jigs, Hot's Drift Tune, Shimano's Flat-side and Raider.
    We used treble hooks, single hooks and assist hooks and all worked.

15. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

HUH! What amberjack?

Look below.:D :D

Attached Files:

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kil: Thanks as always for the good information.

Steve: I think he was talking about the bikini shot in MrBill's avatar. :)

MrBill: If your self-description of over-55 inch chest is correct, I'm guessing you look a little like the Big E, viewed from the stern--or maybe a Hummer propped up on jack stands. :D From the partial views we see in the photos you post--just arms and legs--there might have been a time I could have gotten drunk enough to actually try to throw you overboard--but I'm not sure there's enough whiskey in Austin to make that happen now. Has Gunsmoke ever tried? I'm not sure how to picture him, either--the only thing that comes to mind involves the guy reaching for the abnormal brain in "Young Frankenstein."--just referring to his brain--not his looks. :cool:

Jerry: I don't give nobody no $hit about his looks having watched him do a Dennis Braid immitation on two straight big honkers.

Russ

19. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Russ,
    You stop giving me sh!t and I figure your pissed at me.

Mr Bill,
    The fist the deckhands are holding is the secodn or smaller fish. My back will/would not handle that amount of weight.

20. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Man, another great trip!!! Thanks for sharing!